You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

40 comments in this topic

[MAUS]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
13,619 posts

Look, I appreciate what the art department was trying to do by placing snow on the ships.  But it's reflective qualities are all wrong.  It looks like someone sprinkled baking soda from the galley all over the deck.  It doesn't look like snow.

• Cool 18
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 4

[CAAT]
Members
4,876 posts
7,023 battles
52 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Look, I appreciate what the art department was trying to do by placing snow on the ships.  But it's reflective qualities are all wrong.  It looks like someone sprinkled baking soda from the galley all over the deck.  It doesn't look like snow.

Also, probably getting a little too technical here, but wouldn't the snow totally get blown off when a battleship's guns fire? The muzzle blast alone can literally kill somebody. I would assume that this level of concussive force (the pressure wave) would have SOME effect on snow nearby the turrets....

• Cool 3

[MAUS]
13,619 posts
3 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Also, probably getting a little too technical here, but wouldn't the snow totally get blown off when a battleship's guns fire? The muzzle blast alone can literally kill somebody. I would assume that this level of concussive force (the pressure wave) would have SOME effect on snow nearby the turrets....

It depends on how heavy (wet) the snow is.  Muzzle blasts are hot too, so they'll cause melting.  But the issue is the reflective quality of snow.  Snow reflects between approximately 75% to 95% of light shone upon it.  Depending on the snow texture, this can be almost like glass (cold, hard packed snow) to heavily refracted (fresh, loose snow).  But in any case, the snow we have in game is matte with no reflective qualities at all, so it looks like baking soda or flour.

• Cool 2

[CAAT]
Members
4,876 posts
7,023 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It depends on how heavy (wet) the snow is.  Muzzle blasts are hot too, so they'll cause melting.  But the issue is the reflective quality of snow.  Snow reflects between approximately 75% to 95% of light shone upon it.  Depending on the snow texture, this can be almost like glass (cold, hard packed snow) to heavily refracted (fresh, loose snow).  But in any case, the snow we have in game is matte with no reflective qualities at all, so it looks like baking soda or flour.

so just have reflections affect snow, basically. That should be Ok though...it's not like reflections aren't in the game. It's pretty possible, I think. It might be SLIGHTLY more taxing on certain machines, but it shouldn't really affect your gameplay or graphics too much in terms of lag.

[MAUS]
13,619 posts
9 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

so just have reflections affect snow, basically. That should be Ok though...it's not like reflections aren't in the game. It's pretty possible, I think. It might be SLIGHTLY more taxing on certain machines, but it shouldn't really affect your gameplay or graphics too much in terms of lag.

We already have the effect with water on deck.  They just need to apply some reflective (specular) effects to the snow so it doesn't look like baking soda.

Edited by Admiral_Bingo
removed drug reference
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
564 posts
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

And please keep it as it is. I don't want want any more disturbing reflections which hampers my gameplay experience just so it looks more realistic. The sun beams on "Tears by dessert" were already too much.

I vote to keep it as is.

• Cool 2

[USFC]
Members
9 posts
28,330 battles

also, no good captain would allow the snow to build up on the decks in good weather

• Cool 1

Members
269 posts
9,278 battles

Hmmm I guess a Canadian would know about snow. Little White Mouse , you guys have like 635 words for it. We in Michigan I think only have about 472..............:Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Cirdane
  • Cool 1

[BEA5T]
Members
6,460 posts
32,276 battles
2 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Maybe, it's all of the innovation they have.....  Or, it's all they can afford.   After all, the game is ESRB-T rated........so, if a 13 year old thinks it's cool stuff, that's all they need. 

1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It depends on how heavy (wet) the snow is.  Muzzle blasts are hot too, so they'll cause melting. 

105 (M68A1) and 120 (M256) tank guns are so dangerous, they kill birds roosting in trees within 50 yards of the muzzle......  Cause ear drums and sinuses to rupture....   the drivers must be buttoned up.  

Imagine, a 16 inch gun......there'd be no snow at all because the concussion itself would simply move it and the heat envelopes would surely melt it......  

• Thanks 1

[PAT]
Members
1,093 posts
14,381 battles

I don't know if adding reflections to the splattery white stuff is the play here.

[AK-49]
Members
592 posts
12,848 battles
8 hours ago, dsnyder said:

also, no good captain would allow the snow to build up on the decks in good weather

Seems to be a crew problem. Have you noticed no one ever seems to be on deck? I don't know how the external AA guns manage to fire.

[SFOR]
Beta Testers
465 posts
12,491 battles
1 hour ago, Aurora_7 said:

Seems to be a crew problem. Have you noticed no one ever seems to be on deck? I don't know how the external AA guns manage to fire.

Telling comment on current AA 

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
354 posts
12,874 battles

But I like the snow effect. Makes my ships look sweet 🧁🎂.

Dangit now I want a doughnut. Off to Timmy's. 

☺️

Edited by BCGrog

Members
891 posts
7,498 battles
11 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Yes that would get rid of the snow, also the mist washing across the deck from waves would wash away the snow. It would either be gone or turned into ice which would be even more dangerous to people trying to move around the deck.

• Cool 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,003 posts
9,825 battles
12 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

I'm pretty sure the crew would clear snow off the decks. Safety issue.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
4,876 posts
7,023 battles
13 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

We already have the effect with water on deck.  They just need to apply some reflective (specular) effects to the snow so it doesn't look like baking soda.

Yep. Basically what I was thinking. It should be fine. I'm all for more realism added to the game :D

Speaking of realism, any chance we can uhhh, get an option to NOT apply camo to our planes Wargaming?! Still need that option.

12 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Imagine, a 16 inch gun......there'd be no snow at all because the concussion itself would simply move it and the heat envelopes would surely melt it......

Yeah, that's literally what I was saying:

14 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

[CAAT]
Members
4,876 posts
7,023 battles
2 hours ago, MN1234 said:

Maybe we don't actually need the snow then! Like, SLIGHT sprinkles of snow, fine. But not the amount on our ships currently.

• Cool 1

[MAUS]
13,619 posts

Keep in mind that there are lots of different qualities of snow.  It behaves different at different temperatures and densities.  Light, dry powder will get blown away by a muzzle blast where as packed, icy stuff might crack or just compress further and not scatter much at all.

[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
4,309 posts
24,995 battles
21 hours ago, Lazy_Joe said:

And please keep it as it is. I don't want want any more disturbing reflections which hampers my gameplay experience just so it looks more realistic. The sun beams on "Tears by dessert" were already too much.

I vote to keep it as is.

wear sun glasses :P

[-1]
Members
892 posts
14,465 battles
On 7/3/2022 at 10:01 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I also have a long standing complaint that the water is too dirty in some maps.

[FORM]
Members
2,829 posts
15,132 battles
On 7/3/2022 at 10:01 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Agreed. One of the few times that the art department didn't do their usual outstanding work. It looks ok zoomed all the way out, but definitely not good - and especially when zoomed in.

[H_]
Members
950 posts
15,456 battles

Honestly.. who cares, didn't need "snow" in the first place didn't need Erupting volcano's, etc. etc.. what we wanted and have been asking for for years is NEW MAPS..  oh boy we got 1 this year... whoopee... So alot of the existing players will be dead and gone by the time they refresh the map lists.. geez..

[-PVE-]
Members
418 posts
15,321 battles
On 7/4/2022 at 10:19 AM, MN1234 said:

Our ships have no crew! Just a captain who yells a lot sometimes in a very female voice.  

• Haha 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,003 posts
9,825 battles
1 minute ago, Mykawa said:

Our ships have no crew! Just a captain who yells a lot sometimes in a very female voice.  

My ex is a ships' captain?

[ICLAD]
[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
158 posts
16,818 battles

It looks like baking powder because it IS baking powder.  It's just preparation for the roasting the HE shells are about to bring.

Yummm yum.  Country fried BB with a side of DD spears.  Lightly sprinkled in dive bombers.