You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Martin_NC

What do you guys think about Kansas in the Armory/Premium shop?

33 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
822 posts
11,193 battles

I have Vermont. I grinded through Kansas and I seem to remember wanting to hang myself a couple of times. I am not a great player and that may be a contributing factor but I thought she was absolutely awful.

I do thoroughly love Vermont but Kansas was a dumpster fire. The camo looks pretty nice but that is lipstick on a pig in my opinion.

Am I wrong?

• Cool 1

[BE-ER]
Beta Testers
226 posts
20,322 battles

Kansas was very "meh" for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Minnesota and Vermont however.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,777 posts
16,374 battles

Kansas is easily the worst of the 3, because she has no way of bringing that 40 second reload down

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
5,675 posts
15,855 battles

I did my entire Kansas grind in Early Access, before the ship received any buffs and still had 1.5 sigma. IMO, much of the criticism of the ship is overblown. It’s not a great ship, but it’s not nearly as terrible and “unplayable” as many make it out to be. It requires patience, good map awareness, and trigger discipline because you need to maximize the value of each of your salvos.

That being said, Kansas isn’t exactly high on my list of favorite tier VIII battleships. I certainly would rather play it than Vittorio Veneto, though, for example. I also wouldn’t spend real money to unlock the ship (but I wouldn’t do so for any tech tree ship). 

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[DDG65]
Beta Testers
722 posts

I gave up on that line.  Grinding basically the same ship 3 times in a row did not appeal to me. The Kansas grind did nothing to motivate me to want to grind out the next two. Test driving the Minnesota and Vermont on the PTS confirmed my decision to stop that line when i finished Kansas. Sold Kansas off when i did finished its grind.

Kind of like when i ground the British heavy tank line in World of Tanks where you get to grind the Churchill 3 tiers in a row...yeah kind of like that deja vu all over again thing going on here.

Got the California if I really want to experience that sort of BB style again. My Cali sees a Narai run now and then for the sake of playing something different.

[RLGN]
Members
18,669 posts
33,718 battles
1 hour ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

Test driving the Minnesota and Vermont on the PTS confirmed my decision to stop that line when i finished Kansas. Sold Kansas off when i did finished its grind.

I played Vermont in the PTS just to try it and fell in love with it.

I don’t play it in Randoms, because I have zero patience for the current meta, but I love it in Co-op.

Despite the fast, DDs murder everything meta there, when Vermont gets pitched in she starts deleting things. I haven’t had so much fun with a T10 battleship since I ground out GkF’s LM in Co-op back before those went to the RB. (2020, iirc.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,636 posts
20,653 battles

What do I think about it? As little as possible. Got Kan't-sas in early access and still haven't ground up to the Minni-SLOW-ta yet. Playing Kan't-sas simply bores me to tears. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,927 posts
29,993 battles
6 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Your reasoning seems pretty sound to me.

Agreed.

5 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

Kansas is easily the worst of the 3, because she has no way of bringing that 40 second reload down

She lacks Slot 6 upgrade slot, a Tier IX-X ship perk.  USN BBs get to choose 2 viable good upgrades there:  MBM3 for main battery reload, or USN BBs' unique APRM2 for a big 11% dispersion buff.

Kansas is the least accurate of the 3.

Kansas also has the worst exterior armor of the 3.

1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

What do I think about it? As little as possible. Got Kan't-sas in early access and still haven't ground up to the Minni-SLOW-ta yet. Playing Kan't-sas simply bores me to tears. 

Imagine a PVP situation where your flank is collapsing and you're the one in the Kansas while everyone else remaining on your team is fleeing.  Your butt is getting "Shaned."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,193 posts
8,080 battles
7 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

you are playing it wrong, need to pick furious and close quarter expert skill, once you are in a knife fight with 3 fires you can have standar BB reload :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[FERNE]
Members
361 posts
2,231 battles

I am slowly working my way into that ship, not a fan of playing the Colorado for long, but I do want that line. I have really enjoyed my Alabama, very similar to the North Carolina with better torpedo protection but slightly slower at about 27 knots. I think if they bumped up that heavy USA line to a base 25 knots it would make a difference. 23 knots at tier 8 and up is just to slow.

[WPORT]
Members
18,062 posts
20,725 battles
7 hours ago, Martin_NC said:

I have Vermont. I grinded through Kansas and I seem to remember wanting to hang myself a couple of times. I am not a great player and that may be a contributing factor but I thought she was absolutely awful.

I do thoroughly love Vermont but Kansas was a dumpster fire. The camo looks pretty nice but that is lipstick on a pig in my opinion.

Am I wrong?

Back when the Kansas (and her line-sisters) newly arrived in-game, I did the missions and paid some doubloons to get a crate or two with enough tokens to welcome the Kansas and her pin-up camouflage.
The Art Department did not disappoint me.
My cash/doubloons cost (at the time) is nowhere near the $60+ current price for the camo and some extra perks being offered in the Armory.

That said.
I enjoy sailing my Kansas in Co-op battles while I enjoy a meal in between the reloads of the main-guns.  Yes, really.  :-)
Kansas may not win speed races, but she's got style points and can turn decently for a curvy-figured battleship. 
Her anti-torpedo bulges deserve appreciation, in my opinion.  Her main-guns are good for starting fires, too.  I suggest researching her armor-scheme carefully, though.

I've had some interesting battles while sailing the Kansas, but most of the time she's simply relaxing for me to sail and an admirable work of art-in-motion.  
I'm glad I welcomed her to my Port when I did, and the cost was less of a financial one than a do-the-grind one.

If one can live without the artwork and special-limited-time-only add-ons in the Armory, Kansas is a tech-tree ship which can be enjoyably relaxing to sail.  Good luck, everyone.  :-)

https://armory.worldofwarships.com/en/category/event_7
image_2022-07-02_081136170.thumb.png.81892866343f90eaf6f107a5b80cd485.png

[ARGSY]
Members
30,103 posts
26,974 battles
8 hours ago, Martin_NC said:

Am I wrong?

Kansas is the least of what someone here called the "fattleship line" because she can't enhance her reload with slot six like the others. I had some good battles in her and some bad ones.

While WG's free to sell what it likes however it likes, my call on this is "Get your aft into gear and grind it out the slow and safe way."

The price is reflective of what you'd have to pay to convert elite ship XP to get to her from Erie, but since the Public Test Server is live this weekend, my advice is to go there, try out Minnesota and Vermont. If you like what you see there and you're determined to give WG that much of your money, consider spending some of it on the double camo pack for them (very slightly cheaper than buying standard permas through the port interface) and the rest on a 14 point Leroy Jenkins commander to work that line.

Protip - if even the thought of regrinding Colorado to unlock Kansas fills you with dread, this line is probably not for you.

[FERNE]
Members
361 posts
2,231 battles
9 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

Not 100% true, you can go with a secondary build and take close quarters combat and get 10% reload reduction while in secondary range on your main guns. If you can get into brawling range 😁

Edited by Quor_Dresden

Members
369 posts
12,547 battles

I found the grind of Kansas and Minnesota to be fairly quick and fun to fight against CVs. 

1360537285_Screenshot(381).thumb.png.eba7854322cd489c5df318a06dac16cb.png62854998_Screenshot(382).thumb.png.1ff8aa37e31ff90dbddcab79acfa2d27.png

1553451393_Screenshot(379).thumb.png.4a5b0eaa37dab4a5fa70385f61912a25.png806263521_Screenshot(380).thumb.png.c851340ca1d9f47efde3688fab4fbd36.png

[DMGS]
Members
662 posts
8,882 battles

For the record,  I have generally played all tier VIII BBs in the game without FXPing them. Exceptions were Amagi because I was eager to get to Yamato sooner and this one.

I'd rather play through Monarch 3x in a row before ever touching Kansas again. It is the single most frustrating ship in the game to me.

You'd have to *pay* me to play her again.

[TR3TA]
Members
250 posts
8,277 battles
1 hour ago, Firewalk said:

You'd have to *pay* me to play her again

Me too! Kansas was so painful that i used FXP to skip Minnesota.

V. Veneto was SO much better than Kansas... 

Members
386 posts
8,855 battles
14 hours ago, Martin_NC said:

Am I wrong?

No your not wrong, i also have Vermont and  felt like i had more success and fun with Minnesota than i did with Kansas.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,777 posts
16,374 battles
31 minutes ago, lbfreitasBR said:

V. Veneto was SO much better than Kansas... 

this is how you know Kansas is just a chore to play, when someone is singing the praises of one of the ships in what is by far the worst BB line in the game

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
36,927 posts
29,993 battles

This whole thing made me remember something.  Every now and then, on a super rare occasion, WG sells a ship line boost to progress faster.  The first time I ever recall WG doing this was 2019 for the release of the Tier X Yamato Makoto Kobayashi Perma-Camo.  I actually did buy it but I can't recall the cost.  To be safe, it likely wasn't cheap for what I was mainly getting it for... I had Yamato already.  But if you were starting from scratch, then it looks like a decent idea:  Faster grind down the IJN BB Line due to XP boosting and flags, and have Perma-Camo waiting for you when you get to your goal with Yamato.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/premium-shop-april-2019/

Why the wide ears?  M.Kobayashi was the designer for Space Battleship Yamato.

2255.jpg

1a6b68a0-682d-11e9-b653-d89d6715223c.jpg1ab1928a-682d-11e9-91d3-d89d6715223c.jpg

Kobayashi Camouflage with Booster

A permanent camouflage from the Makoto Kobayashi Signature series for flag_Japan_740b57e1da9b5d3fe46b61e09e3dcnormal_57a69d35d27f32ad4c2ad55e76f684f47X Yamato

• Japanese battleship research booster
  • 50×Equal Speed Charlie London
  • 50×India Bravo Terrathree
  • 50×Zulu
  • 50×Papa Papa
  • 50×Zulu Hotel
  • Warships Premium Account days: 14

I will say I've only seen maybe 2 other players with this camo.  The stats are identical to other Tier X Perma-Camo.  MK Perma-Camo stats are Tier X stats to begin with.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TR3TA]
Members
250 posts
8,277 battles
48 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

this is how you know Kansas is just a chore to play, when someone is singing the praises of one of the ships in what is by far the worst BB line in the game

I am probably crazy: I found Lepanto to be quite good :cap_book:

Members
928 posts
7,640 battles

I generally prefer BBs over other types of ships and I prefer US ships. That being said, I don't like the Kansas, Minnesota or Vermont.

Tier 8, 9 and 10 are suppose to be ships built in the late 1930s when the US had started building BBs again. By that time they had long since given up on the "Standard series" of ships that were deliberately kept slow to work in a WW I era battle line.

Historically they make no sense. That is why I would rather have seen North Carolina, North Carolina Plus, Montana at T8, T9, T10 in the large BB line and Constellation, Iowa and a more powerful Iowa type ships in the Fast BB line.

[CAAT]
Members
5,451 posts
7,286 battles
16 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

tumblr_mhz4mb6e9f1r7kr84o1_500.gif.5fff510c397e149bbe259d7e5aaaa78d.gif

Heck, I've been using Missouri and a lot of 30s reload BBs (or less!) in Ranked Battles recently. Then today, I participated in the "American/French Screenshot challenge, decided to use California in Co-Op matches (because why not), waiting to see a French ship teammate to get the snap....

....And I was PAINFULLY REMINDED why I advocated for California to receive a reload buff in the first place. 34.2s was AGONIZINGLY slow, after getting used to 30s and faster reloads during that time in Ranked.

And Kansas is even WORSE than that. 40 seconds. And you CANNOT reduce that, save for maybe Adrenaline Rush (Furious and Close Quarters Combat are WAY too unreliable for reload buffing). Add to that gimped Colorado shells at 11,800 damage, and Kansas is a pretty miserable experience. As much as I WANT to like her, I just can't.

Edited by SaiIor_Moon

[CAAT]
Members
5,451 posts
7,286 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

M.Kobayashi was the designer for Space Battleship Yamato.

And we didn't get a Space Battleship Yamato x WoWs collab?! We were ROBBED, I tell you! ROBBED!!!

tumblr_o3dvoiTSWN1tggy4no1_500.gifv

• Sad 1

[CAAT]
Members
5,451 posts
7,286 battles
7 hours ago, Quor_Dresden said:

Not 100% true, you can go with a secondary build and take close quarters combat and get 10% reload reduction while in secondary range on your main guns. If you can get into brawling range 😁

......Yes, no, kinda, maybe? I'm not convinced Close Quarters Combat (4pt skill) is viable/reliable enough to be procced at only 10km range. Another problem is Kansas is SLOW. So you'll have less chances to dictate engagements and actually GET CLOSER to secondary range. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd still build her for secondaries because that's what I do personally ;P But CQC on Kansas? Not sure about it, no.