You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Blue_Darter

RE: Leeroy Jenkins in the Armory

15 comments in this topic

[JTF67]
Members
110 posts
12,300 battles

You guys missed a real opportunity with this bull**** Leeroy Jenkins captain in the Armory for Independence Day.

If you really wanted to put a Black enlisted sailor from the US Navy in the game, the obvious choice should have been Doris Miller.

Your choice of Leeroy Jenkins is insulting and juvenile.

• Cool 6
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 8

[SALVO]
Members
14,621 posts
9,334 battles
20 minutes ago, Blue_Darter said:

Dude, this Leroy Jenkins is a real guy who served in the Navy... Not the one you are thinking about.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[-NACL]
Members
1,007 posts
24,812 battles

You know if you don't like the captain, don't get him. He was already previously released in the game. I believe at the time of a USS Kidd event? (Leeroy Jenkins)

Edited by Gemlin
  • Meh 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,341 posts
19,460 battles

Wouldn't WG have to get permission from the family to use his image anyway?

Members
72 posts
1,561 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Wouldn't WG have to get permission from the family to use his image anyway?

Not sure since he would/could be considered a historical figure.

However it would be in good taste to seek such permission from relatives. As is thinking to ask this question. At the very least both would be thoughtful.

[ARGSY]
Members
30,103 posts
26,974 battles
14 minutes ago, Blue_Darter said:

this bull**** Leeroy Jenkins captain

This is not LEEEEEROY JENKINS, the meme. He is Leroy Jenkins, a real man, who served on the USS Kidd and gave WG permission to use his image and name. We've been through this before, about a year ago IIRC. I wondered what WG was doing at first too, but it was very quickly explained once people asked.

15 minutes ago, Blue_Darter said:

If you really wanted to put a Black enlisted sailor from the US Navy in the game, the obvious choice should have been Doris Miller.

Hapa-Fodder once told me they have historical commanders in mind who they haven't brought in because they haven't (yet) got permission from the family. In some cases, the family might not be interested. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[JTF67]
Members
110 posts
12,300 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is not LEEEEEROY JENKINS, the meme. He is Leroy Jenkins, a real man, who served on the USS Kidd and gave WG permission to use his image and name. We've been through this before, about a year ago IIRC. I wondered what WG was doing at first too, but it was very quickly explained once people asked.

Hapa-Fodder once told me they have historical commanders in mind who they haven't brought in because they haven't (yet) got permission from the family. In some cases, the family might not be interested. 

I stand corrected. Thank you, C.

I'd still like to see Dorian Miller in the game. He certainly deserves it.

• Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
18,062 posts
20,725 battles
34 minutes ago, Blue_Darter said:

RE: Leeroy Jenkins in the Armory

By Blue_Darter, 

You guys missed a real opportunity with this bull**** Leeroy Jenkins captain in the Armory for Independence Day.

The difference between the "meme" from first-person-shooter games and the real-life Sailor who served aboard the Kidd has been explained, by others, and well received by you.
That's good.
As a trivial note, their names are spelled differently.
Meme character has one more "e" in his first name.  "Leeroy Jenkins" vs. "Leroy Jenkins".  :-)

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/story-of-leroy-jenkins/
image_2022-07-01_085113866.thumb.png.2ee48bdd3e267e7d881c8e49c213de8d.png

[TDRB]
Members
6,753 posts
15,380 battles

I wonder if they considered Robert Augustus Sweeney, one of the 19 men to be awarded the Medal of Honor twice. 

Yes, I understand there are legalities involved. Some may not think we can honor a hero in a video game. 

It is the fact that Sweeney is the one & only black man to win the Medal of Honor twice that I bring this up.

[STAR]
Members
54 posts
9,023 battles

The captain Leroy Jenkins is based on real person that served in the USS Kidd. Said person was featured in a video that WG made a while back and you can watch it here.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,271 posts
15,517 battles
3 minutes ago, Schnauzahpowahz said:

From what i can tell, he's got no special perks? So just a pretty picture 

He's an event commander, no special perks.  Picture of my 6 pt commander below.  Currently commands my Pensacola.

image.thumb.png.59e5d7c7a42bd71f27bfc48cced9d449.png

image.png.9db42d3c2b1658e1ea3a6f886a919b47.png

• Cool 1

[SOMLI]
Members
442 posts
24,501 battles
3 hours ago, Blue_Darter said:

I stand corrected. Thank you, C.

I'd still like to see Dorian Miller in the game. He certainly deserves it.

The USS Doris Miller Gerald Ford Class CVN plans are implemented and funded and to be commissioned for the fleet in the future. The CVN will be built as per standard in Newport News, Va.  I understand and respect the sentiment as Doris Miller was a great man, yet alone a great USN Sailor.

Edited by thundercat_warrior