You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

Which ships for upcoming 1:1 brawl (T9)?

27 comments in this topic

[BPGSS]
[BPGSS]
Members
995 posts
15,482 battles

Tomorrow (Mon, Jun 20) starts the new 1:1 brawl with T9 ships: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/brawls-in-0115-round-1/

I'm thinking of bringing a cruiser with torps or a BB with torps (perhaps Pommern?). Since I haven't played a 1:1 brawl format yet, I'm wondering which ships the folks here are planning to bring (and why).

[WOLFC]
Members
5,278 posts
15,195 battles

Prinz Rupprecht will likely be the best choice among battleships. She has enough extended belt armor that the 27mm bow isn’t too much of a weakness against 406-457mm AP, with IFHE her secondaries will melt BBs and the improved dispersion means they will actually be a threat to DDs, her torpedoes are slow but she has two launchers per side and they pack a punch, she has hydro, and her concealment (and it’s relationship to her secondary range) is top-tier.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,173 posts
16,543 battles

I’d agree with Rupprecht for battleships, for all the reasons Nevermore listed above. Pommern would have the hydro and torps that Rupprecht brings and technically better armor/survivability, but the slow reload and arguably weaker secondaries are going to be a major downsides. If you don’t have Rupprecht then Pommern would probably be the next best option, but quite a bit lower. Anything else will probably struggle too much against one or both of the other types.

Destroyers would probably shine here, just like always. Mogador has the reload boost for destroyers, good AP for cruiser broadsides, and torps with good angles for cruisers/battleships, plus the speed advantage. Kita would also be good in gunfights against destroyers and has enough torps for larger ships, as would Jutland (plus Jutland has the defensive hydro for enemy torps, and a heal). If you get matched against a cruiser or battleship (and don’t get zoned out by radar/hydro), Yolo would probably have a field day.

If you have it, Neustrashimy might work since it can outlast against a DD and torp larger ships, but I don’t know how many you’ll likely run into. On the other hand, Black would be out since it can’t reliably win a solo gunfight against a gunboat DD and doesn’t have the torp power for rushing battleships.

Z46 and ZF6 could be interesting, since they both have decent torp power, and Z46 has hydro for fighting a DD while ZF6 has the reload booster and decent AP. But I’d probably still consider them suboptimal if you have one of the other options. 

Cruisers would probably be in a tough spot since you need a ship that’s durable enough to survive against a battleship but can still handle destroyers. Torps are a must for the battleship or cruiser, and fast firing guns to kill the destroyer. Radar would be useful but hydro would be king. Long range ships would also be out, obviously. I don’t think many would do well, since a lot of the ships that could handle well against small ships wouldn’t necessarily last against big ships. 

I could actually see radar Neptune working as the strongest (but also super high skill floor) dark horse. If you avoid getting smacked, you’d have the radar/hydro/AP advantage against destroyers, lots of torps for larger ships, and the superheal if you don’t get nuked.

Sejong could be a super gutsy high skill floor pick if you don’t have Neptune for some reason. High DPM to melt destroyers (if you spot them without letting them get too close), and lots of torps plus the reload booster to just rush and kill a larger ship if you need to and can last long enough to do so. Of course, spotting that destroyer is going to be the issue since you don’t have hydro or radar. If the destroyer messes up and gets himself spotted with no way to go dark, you might stand a chance there.

Brindisi could be interesting since it has the SAP to potentially delete destroyers, but the lack of hydro is a big negative. And if you don’t kill the destroyer with the first salvo, you probably just lost. Potentially viable against a destroyer, might work against a cruiser, but would struggle a lot more against battleships since you don’t have enough torp power or time to wear them down.

The rest of the cruiser options all have even more serious downsides IMO, either completely lacking torps or close range rushing potential. And even with the three I did list, most players probably wouldn’t be able to play them to the level needed for them to really work (and could likely do just a welk or better in a destroyer or Rupprecht). 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Thanks 3

[PAT]
Members
1,019 posts
14,336 battles

Brawling secc'y battleships and yolo destroyers. Maybe a few other niche picks here or there. Cruisers will be a bottom tier pick.

I'm curious if Iwami will be released to coincide with this event. It probably won't be a great pick regardless, but it would be an option nonetheless.

[BPGSS]
[BPGSS]
Members
995 posts
15,482 battles
56 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

I'm curious if Iwami will be released to coincide with this event. It probably won't be a great pick regardless, but it would be an option nonetheless.

Since the Armory usually updates on Friday, it'll be a bit late for this brawl. In that case they should have released her last Friday.

[WOLFX]
Members
462 posts
1,675 battles

On 1v1, you will probably be needing a ship with hydro, just in case the opposing ship has low detection coupled with torps.

I am of two minds if I want to play this format. The earlier one with 2v2 seemed more enjoyable.

[D-PN]
Members
1,163 posts
10,759 battles

For 1 v 1 Tier IX I would say Rupprecht is your number one pick. 

If you want to take Cruisers, either Agir or Drake

For DDs Mogador or Paolo Emilio

[T3I0F]
Members
29 posts
4,587 battles

Agir would be pretty stout as a cruiser for brawls. Hydro, torps, good AP, good armor.

• Cool 1

[BONKY]
Members
2,055 posts
24,793 battles

Basically Rupperecht, Mogador, Iwami (if released in time) and Yolo Emilio. Forget anything else exists.

[WOLFX]
Members
462 posts
1,675 battles

I am confused ... WG was saying that brawls were 1v1, but on the Asia site now it is active and make no mention of being 1v1.

You can have a division or fight solo.

So ... ?

CMs what is the case?

P.S. Scenarios are inactive in ASIA site as well.

Edited by cammaj

[WG]
Administrator
5,507 posts
15,985 battles
1 minute ago, cammaj said:

I am confused ... WG was saying that brawls were 1v1, but on the Asia site now it is active and make no mention of being 1v1.

You can have a division or fight solo.

So ... ?

CMs what is the case?

Update Patch Notes are here: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-0115/

image.png

Should be 1 vs 1.

[WG]
Administrator
5,507 posts
15,985 battles
8 minutes ago, cammaj said:

Sorry, 1v1 is 1vs1. I understood that part.

But how can you have a Division? There is only you.

Web Article for Asia right now: https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/general-news/brawls-in-0115-round-1/

image.png

-

Why are you thinking there are Divisions?

[WOLFX]
Members
462 posts
1,675 battles

Unless those are just the generic rules & features ...

Edited by cammaj

[WOLFX]
Members
462 posts
1,675 battles

It is no big deal.

I am not getting worked up over it, just wanting clarification.

It seems it really is 1 vs 1, according to the patch notes.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,690 posts
15,827 battles

I bet you there'll be some Kearsarges that show up, seeing as it's got those planes to harass the only other ship there

Members
71 posts
6,693 battles

Went 14-3 in Pommern on my lunch break. Definitely superior to Prince Ruprecht due to having 18k more health. 1 loss to a Fletcher who detonated me. 1 loss to a Mogador torp rush. 1 loss to a simply being outplayed by another Pommern player. Reminds me why brawls are my favorite mode.

[O_B_G]
Members
99 posts
13,662 battles

11 - 1 in my Pommern. Its a beast the only loss was against an Agir. The Ruprechts hit hard and gave me some trouble but I was able to come out on top. Thank god for Hydro. Had a Paolo Emilio try to torp me but I had my hydro up and while he did manage to land 2 torps he was no match for HE and secondaries.

[D-PN]
Members
3,254 posts
16,144 battles
On 6/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, SuperSSL said:

Brawling secc'y battleships and yolo destroyers. Maybe a few other niche picks here or there. Cruisers will be a bottom tier pick.

I've discovered a cruiser that is played right (and setup right) and very tough to beat....

Would you believe Carnot?

[RAN]
Members
91 posts
20,102 battles

Tried the t9 Italian DD without much success. The only way for me to win against the German bbs was to to play keeping off.

The Mogador on the other hand seems to be made to sink the German battleships. Zoom in and drop torps, boom next game...

[LRM]
Members
1,346 posts
15,764 battles
On 6/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, tangofan said:

Tomorrow (Mon, Jun 20) starts the new 1:1 brawl with T9 ships: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/brawls-in-0115-round-1/

I'm thinking of bringing a cruiser with torps or a BB with torps (perhaps Pommern?). Since I haven't played a 1:1 brawl format yet, I'm wondering which ships the folks here are planning to bring (and why).

Best options: grind fast researchable destroyers. Russian or French or new Italian.
To assure wins: Pommern, Rupprecht, Agir, Yolo emilio.
Options: Georgia, Alaska

Agir is absolutely insane, it is almost like the bbs (pom and rupp) but much more agile, while keeping hydro, thick guns and torps.

[D-PN]
Members
3,254 posts
16,144 battles
1 hour ago, crazyrom said:

Best options: grind fast researchable destroyers. Russian or French or new Italian.
To assure wins: Pommern, Rupprecht, Agir, Yolo emilio.
Options: Georgia, Alaska

Agir is absolutely insane, it is almost like the bbs (pom and rupp) but much more agile, while keeping hydro, thick guns and torps.

Seriously.... my best win percentage is Carnot....especially once I dropped conceal for rudder.... very very hard to beat

[DMGS]
Members
651 posts
8,752 battles
On 6/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, S_H_O_C_K_W_A_V_E said:

For 1 v 1 Tier IX I would say Rupprecht is your number one pick.

So much this. Ran mine since I'm still grinding it and encountered a Neptune in my first game. The guy had zero chance.