You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

Groningen

26 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
7,084 posts
15,853 battles

My second "crate ship" in 2 days . What's the scoop on the Groningen? I assume it will be fine for coops.

[WOLFG]
Members
16,765 posts
19,372 battles

It shoots.

A lot.

A boat you want to be in a kite away position if you smoke up.  Even in coop.  Without torps, you often have to run.

In coop, you can often open water gunboat at near max range.

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
30,557 posts
28,077 battles

It's Friesland. Literally. (IRL they were sister-ships.) 

The only difference in her being Dutch instead of Pan-EU is that you don't get access to Jerzy Swirski as a commander.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,525 posts
26,235 battles

It's a DD without torpedoes or speed boost, but hilarious rapid fire guns. You can't play her like a regular destroyer. She can bully another destroyer off a cap, but if you sit in smoke to farm battleships be careful not to be run down or charged, like ships who know you don't have torpedoes are wont to do. Though it is fun to annoy a ship, get him to charge your smoke thinking you're easy prey and lead them straight into your team.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,084 posts
15,853 battles

Thanks

[SALVO]
Members
15,616 posts
9,765 battles

Fun ship for PvP but idk how well it works for Coop, no torps, no big alpha damage, low HE pen... I see her struggling to get big damage numbers

[WOLFG]
Members
16,765 posts
19,372 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

Fun ship for PvP but idk how well it works for Coop, no torps, no big alpha damage, low HE pen... I see her struggling to get big damage numbers

You need a bit of incompetence from you team to put up big numbers.  Just not enough time in a 4-5 minute game.

XP is ok because you crush bot DDs that go nose in.  You kill them in a damage race along with scooping up a handful of incaps.

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
Members
1,167 posts
13,063 battles

Groningen is a good farming ship but she suffers from being clumsy and having a fairly large detection range. She compensates mostly by being able to outtrade most DDs that she will come across save for a Mogador or a Kitakaze. Play her as a second line support DD if you have a friendly destroyer in front of you that has a better detection radius than your ship, or take advantage of her long lasting American smoke screens and spotting from your allies to farm down some Battleships.

Of course, know when to run as well. She only does 35 knots 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,525 posts
26,235 battles
8 minutes ago, S_H_O_C_K_W_A_V_E said:

She compensates mostly by being able to outtrade most DDs that she will come across save for a Mogador or a Kitakaze.

Truth. Any duel with those two will leave no-one coming out smelling of roses, and you'd need a measure of incompetence or a HP lead to win.

[DMGS]
Members
666 posts
9,141 battles

What kinda hella nuts RNG did you break to get two ships from crates within that time span? :cap_wander_2:

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
12,004 posts
21,175 battles

It's number 1 in average damage as far as tier 9 DDs go for me in Co-op.

image.thumb.png.717e95e496c6e250e9f0cc8e14f05563.png

[PVE]
Members
10,586 posts
31,017 battles
1 hour ago, Firewalk said:

What kinda hella nuts RNG did you break to get two ships from crates within that time span? :cap_wander_2:

^^^That is the real question that needs an answer...

2 hours ago, kgh52 said:

My second "crate ship" in 2 days . What's the scoop on the Groningen? I assume it will be fine for coops.

Back to back posts about 2 SC ship drops... 

Where do you find all these virgins to sacrifice?

[SALVO]
Members
15,616 posts
9,765 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's number 1 in average damage as far as tier 9 DDs go for me in Co-op.

Whaaa... how?... That's it, I´m getting her into Coop to see what´s going on and what I am missing.

[PVE]
Members
12,004 posts
21,175 battles
3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Whaaa... how?... That's it, I´m getting her into Coop to see what´s going on and what I am missing.

No one is more surprised with that result than me, no torps = more damage? Go figure.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,727 posts
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

The guns do well once you understand you need to be really focused on hitting parts of the enemy ships you can pen.  Fire damage is a bonus in co-op. 

1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

XP is ok because you crush bot DDs that go nose in.  You kill them in a damage race along with scooping up a handful of incaps.

Friesland/Groningen seem to have a hidden bonus XP modifier sort of like the Sims.  50k damage and a cap will generally net a good game in terms of XP.  Do the same in another DD and you'll be lucky to get 350 BXP. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
1,360 posts
22 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

^^^That is the real question that needs an answer...

Back to back posts about 2 SC ship drops... 

He said he hasn't logged in/played in a year. I think it's a "returning to the game" incentive.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,457 battles
2 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Just fine.

Pick a good spot, smoke, farm.

Suffers a bit if your team folds. You can still make it work, but it’s even harder if there’s a bot CV in the match. (Yeah, hooray for the mosquitoes spotting you for the bots every minute or three.)

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
7,084 posts
15,853 battles
44 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Our cat has killed 20 rabbits and left them, rather the parts she didn't eat, at our front door over the last 3 weeks. I guess that counts as sacrificing virgins.

[TDRB]
Members
7,084 posts
15,853 battles
2 hours ago, Firewalk said:

For a small monthly payment I can cut you in on the secret :Smile_trollface:

If I knew I would buy a powerball ticket.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
10,586 posts
31,017 battles
7 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

He said he hasn't logged in/played in a year. I think it's a "returning to the game" incentive.

SCs may be given as incentive...but the ships drops are RNG.

7 hours ago, kgh52 said:

Our cat has killed 20 rabbits and left them, rather the parts she didn't eat, at our front door over the last 3 weeks. I guess that counts as sacrificing virgins.

But...

They're just furry little bunnies :-0

[NGA-A]
Members
2,612 posts
17,058 battles
8 hours ago, kgh52 said:

46 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

But...

They're just furry little bunnies :-0

And considering they're rabbits, I highly doubt they're virgins. Frat boy-level humor aside, I'm going to give my own rather ignorant opinion of things:

I'm in no way, shape, or form a fan of gun-only destroyers. My biggest issue is that with most of them, their guns can only consistently damage fellow destroyers, only being able to damage the superstructure of pretty much everything else; not really a problem for other destroyers since they have torpedoes for fighting larger ships. To damage larger ships, these destroyers have to depend on fire to deal damage and sometimes RNGesus just likes to spit in your face when it comes to fire-starting (or in general, but I find fire-starting to be a special frustration). You can start dealing more consistent damage to most cruisers with IFHE, but that's not only a three-point skill, but it cuts your fire chance in half (I get that aspect needed to change, but couldn't we have tried a minus 1/3 first) and even then you won't be able to consistently damage all cruisers, only lines with 25mm plating.

And of course, the biggest problem that I have with the gun-only destroyers is their lack of torpedoes. Torpedoes are a major game changer that can help create a threat of mutually-assured destruction towards anything that wants to close with a ship that has them in order to hit them more consistently. And if you're on death's door-step, there are few things more satisfying than trading your near-sunk wreak for someone's relatively undamaged ship. Sure that's not guaranteed my any means, but the possibility exists. But that possibility doesn't exist with the gun-only destroyers. I get the  argument of being effective in a certain role, but I feel the gun-only destroyers give up FAR too much versatility for what they offer in return.

Ragnar is something of an exception to this since its guns do have the potential to threaten virtually anything with consistent damage and its hull thickness means it is even more effective at bullying other destroyers, but its currently at the bottom of my four-ship steel-based waiting list owing to it lacking the torpedo alpha that even Khabarovsk has the potential to unleash.

[TDRB]
Members
7,084 posts
15,853 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And considering they're rabbits, I highly doubt they're virgins. Frat boy-level humor aside, I'm going to give my own rather ignorant opinion of things:

I'm in no way, shape, or form a fan of gun-only destroyers. My biggest issue is that with most of them, their guns can only consistently damage fellow destroyers, only being able to damage the superstructure of pretty much everything else; not really a problem for other destroyers since they have torpedoes for fighting larger ships. To damage larger ships, these destroyers have to depend on fire to deal damage and sometimes RNGesus just likes to spit in your face when it comes to fire-starting (or in general, but I find fire-starting to be a special frustration). You can start dealing more consistent damage to most cruisers with IFHE, but that's not only a three-point skill, but it cuts your fire chance in half (I get that aspect needed to change, but couldn't we have tried a minus 1/3 first) and even then you won't be able to consistently damage all cruisers, only lines with 25mm plating.

And of course, the biggest problem that I have with the gun-only destroyers is their lack of torpedoes. Torpedoes are a major game changer that can help create a threat of mutually-assured destruction towards anything that wants to close with a ship that has them in order to hit them more consistently. And if you're on death's door-step, there are few things more satisfying than trading your near-sunk wreak for someone's relatively undamaged ship. Sure that's not guaranteed my any means, but the possibility exists. But that possibility doesn't exist with the gun-only destroyers. I get the  argument of being effective in a certain role, but I feel the gun-only destroyers give up FAR too much versatility for what they offer in return.

Ragnar is something of an exception to this since its guns do have the potential to threaten virtually anything with consistent damage and its hull thickness means it is even more effective at bullying other destroyers, but its currently at the bottom of my four-ship steel-based waiting list owing to it lacking the torpedo alpha that even Khabarovsk has the potential to unleash.

I'll agree, the lack of torpedoes places it in a "just for fun" coop ship IMO.

BTW, these rabbits were very young, "babies" according to my 6 year-old granddaughter.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,580 posts
30,508 battles
On 5/20/2022 at 7:49 AM, kgh52 said:

Friesland just in Netherlands flag.  Back when Groningen was first releasing, WG provided Friesland owners to convert their ship into Netherlands-flagged Groningen.

For Co-Op and Destroyers, torpedoes are king, but Groningen throws out so much shellfire that she'll be alright.  It only gets bad if a ship with tons of HP is starting to get close and your smoke is about to expire.  She has a lot of DPM but her alpha ability to take down big, heavy armor stuff with a lot of HP isn't so great.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[EDEG]
Members
464 posts
13,588 battles

Lacking torps is a negative, no doubt. If your flank collapses or you're the last guy alive on your team there's not much you can do.

But don't underestimate Friesland/Gron. The DPM is brutal, more than 20% higher than Kitakaze's, almost 45% higher than Fletcher. Only Marceau, Smaland, Haru, and Vamp2 spit out more raw damage. And because RoF skills operate on a percentage basis, the bonus from FB/MBAA/AR widens the gap farther. I've had full-health DDs open up on me when I'm damaged, thinking they'll finish me off before I can respond, only to 100-0 them in a matter of seconds with a 1.2s reload. Watching the onset of panic is delicious.

You set fires basically at will. RNG can only protest so much when you're landing almost a hundred shells every 30 seconds at 8-10% fire chance. Even without fires, the damage adds up on saturated superstructures due to the sheer number of hits. If you get in close enough to consistently hit bows and sterns, its AP will zero out a low-health cruiser or BB right quick.

And with hydro and American smoke, it's a very good DD hunter despite the poor concealment, and one of the most effective smoke farmers in the game.

Anyway, yeah, it's limited by its concealment, 36kt speed, and lack of torps. But it's still very, very strong.

• Cool 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
On 5/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, kgh52 said:

Dam I got 1 like 4 years ago.

• Sad 1