Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Alevon

New Gaming mode: (Close to) Historical accurate mode

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles

How about a new Gaming mode unlike Brawls or ranked although it might be able to be incorporated at some later iteration... 

Close to Historical accurate mode: Only actual commissioned ships from participating countries during WW2. So, NO super, theoretical, and/or future ships! 

Although CVs were in service during WW2, it was very rare to have more than one CV in a battle group. So, although it would preferrable to have no CVs, only x1 CV per side. The same could be said about submarines. Yes, they were in service, but they tended to be working solo missions, not necessarily part of a battle group. So, maybe limit subs x1 per side too. BBs might have been considered to be the flag ship of a battle group. This may hurt, but maybe x1 BB per side. 

So, this leaves a majority of heavy and light CA/CLs and DDs for fleet formation. Interestingly, instead of super, theoretical and/or ships I wish WC would consider creating a historical accurate new class - Frigates! Frigates are somewhere between DDs and CLs. Lots of frigates in services during WW2. 

I'm on the fence regarding ships that were sunk or incapacitated during or right before WW2. So, maybe just x1 one of these ships per side. In that case, only x1 USS Baltimore, North Hampton, Pensacola, Atlanta, Helena, Arizona, Bismark, HMS Hood, Royal Oak, Repulse, Neptune, Yamato, etc... 

I am uncertain how the WG matchmaking algorithm works, BUT perhaps it can be reworked to consider basing fleet formation on whether or not a a CV or BB is trying to play. Fleet should be based on top tiered CV or BB. The rest of the ships should be only one up or down tier of the CV or BB.

is this even plausible?!

What say you fellow sailors? Good/bad idea? Open to constructive comments. 

Even more importantly.., what say you WG?!

Edited by Alevon
  • Cool 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,223
[VIGIL]
Members
1,107 posts

Sure would be nice.  It would probably be the busiest mode too.

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,882
[WOLFC]
Members
4,985 posts
14,845 battles
1 hour ago, Alevon said:

Close to Historical accurate mode: Only actual commissioned ships from participating countries during WW2. So, NO super, theoretical, and/or future ships! 

WG already tested something like this in the past with an Axis vs Allies mode, but it never got out of testing due to the major balance issues that were present in such a mode.

1 hour ago, Alevon said:

Interestingly, instead of super, theoretical and/or ships I wish WC would consider creating a historical accurate new class - Frigates! Frigates are somewhere between DDs and CLs. Lots of frigates in services during WW2.

You have the relationship between destroyers and frigates reversed. The UK and Commonwealth navies employed frigates during WWII, but they were the rough equivalent of the US DDEs. They were thus smallerless capable, and cheaper than destroyers, being designed primarily for antisubmarine warfare and convoy escort duties. The USN actually re-designated the remaining destroyer escorts to frigates (FF) in the 1970s. 

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[FALCO]
Members
7 posts
11,952 battles

It is a very bad idea, although in the game not this the Germans also had Radars for shooting assistance so if that is done all the radars will be in a team and there would not be a balance as such, especially knowing that we would only have on the side of the axis to very nerfed ships in front of the OP of what would be the allied fleet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,043 posts
24,764 battles

They will just put of more and more fake ships to reduce the viability of your previous ships.

At one time the best ships were T5 ships like Murmansk. Then came ships like crazy Belfast at t7, then the utterly insane Stalingrad.

Now we have comic book fantasy ships like Conde and Annapolis that can one shot players who are caught unawares.

The future is clear, all prior premiums will be eclipsed and made obsolete so they can sell you all new ships. Don't forget they said they might add super ships even at lower tiers.

They don't care about history, they care about money that comes from a constant content churn. They know if they don't set a hook every single month to keep players involved/invested in the game, they will leave.

Making a game mode that has Iowas fighting Fusos that is fun, engaging, and balanced makes them no money.

What makes them money is imbalanced fantasy ships that people get to enjoy for a month or two before they get "balanced". The paying player gets to abuse the game player base in exchange for cash.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,703
[WPORT]
Members
16,071 posts
19,642 battles
54 minutes ago, Alevon said:

 

What say you fellow sailors? Good/bad idea? Open to constructive comments. 

 

I can understand how some people may yearn for it.  But ....

::: Pauses for a moment to gesture towards all the anime' collaboration event premium ships and 'paper' ships in my Port ::: 

Well, the thing is, I like these ships and I spent real money to welcome them to my Port.

Frankly, I enjoy having more than just one narrow definition of pixel-'Bote arcade-game ship(s).  I like 'em all, because each has their own charm.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[WOLFA]
Members
236 posts
42 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I can understand how some people may yearn for it.  But ....

::: Pauses for a moment to gesture towards all the anime' collaboration event premium ships and 'paper' ships in my Port ::: 

Well, the thing is, I like these ships and I spent real money to welcome them to my Port.

Frankly, I enjoy having more than just one narrow definition of pixel-'Bote arcade-game ship(s).  I like 'em all, because each has their own charm.

He is just talking about ONE mode I think, like co-op or random; call it Historical mode.

I LOVE THE IDEA!

Although I dispute the idea most battles only had one CV, and you would have to allow multiple ships of same name just like regular battles to make it work with MM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Beta Testers
158 posts
13,964 battles

The tiers would be way screwed for that idea. Most of the ships in the war were everything from old ships recommissioned from WW1 (tier 2,3,4) to ships like Yamato and Iowa. Was it “historical”? Sure, but the hate MM would get would rival the sub hate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
196
[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Beta Testers
158 posts
13,964 battles
1 hour ago, Alevon said:

Although CVs were in service during WW2, it was very rare to have more than one CV in a battle group.

3C8C617A-303F-470E-B968-3E4CA4001101.thumb.png.c99d00ac4547ca72b4e61a34942a875e.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
678
[PVE]
Members
997 posts
37,030 battles
16 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

3C8C617A-303F-470E-B968-3E4CA4001101.thumb.png.c99d00ac4547ca72b4e61a34942a875e.png

"from January 1944 through the end of the war in August 1945".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37,724
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,824 posts
24,577 battles

No thanks. Seems like a slippery slope to me.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
399
[WHARF]
Members
736 posts
21,488 battles
2 hours ago, Alevon said:

How about a new Gaming mode unlike Brawls or ranked although it might be able to be incorporated at some later iteration... 

Close to Historical accurate mode: Only actual commissioned ships from participating countries during WW2. So, NO super, theoretical, and/or future ships! 

Although CVs were in service during WW2, it was very rare to have more than one CV in a battle group. So, although it would preferrable to have no CVs, only x1 CV per side. The same could be said about submarines. Yes, they were in service, but they tended to be working solo missions, not necessarily part of a battle group. So, maybe limit subs x1 per side too. BBs might have been considered to be the flag ship of a battle group. This may hurt, but maybe x1 BB per side. 

So, this leaves a majority of heavy and light CA/CLs and DDs for fleet formation. Interestingly, instead of super, theoretical and/or ships I wish WC would consider creating a historical accurate new class - Frigates! Frigates are somewhere between DDs and CLs. Lots of frigates in services during WW2. 

I'm on the fence regarding ships that were sunk or incapacitated during or right before WW2. So, maybe just x1 one of these ships per side. In that case, only x1 USS Baltimore, North Hampton, Pensacola, Atlanta, Helena, Arizona, Bismark, HMS Hood, Royal Oak, Repulse, Neptune, Yamato, etc... 

I am uncertain how the WG matchmaking algorithm works, BUT perhaps it can be reworked to consider basing fleet formation on whether or not a a CV or BB is trying to play. Fleet should be based on top tiered CV or BB. The rest of the ships should be only one up or down tier of the CV or BB.

is this even plausible?!

What say you fellow sailors? Good/bad idea? Open to constructive comments. 

Even more importantly.., what say you WG?!

Not going to happen... sorry..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
265
[ASRN]
Beta Testers
982 posts
10,370 battles

IJN:

Carrier Division 1: Akagi, Kaga

Carrier Division 2: Hiryuu, Souryuu

Carrier Division 5: Shoukaku, Zuikaku

 

USN: Enterprise and Hornet;  Yorktown and Lexington 

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
191
[SULSA]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
245 posts

I don't believe WG would create another game mode like this but OP looks like you have a really good suggestion to help balance the Axis vs. Allies game mode which is struggling to take off. I recommend changing your initial approach to this. It would be much easier to have implemented.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles
39 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

"from January 1944 through the end of the war in August 1945".

Well, I guess I was kind of catering to the fact that a lot of folks hate CVs. So, limiting them would still accommodate the CV lovers and assuage the CV haters to a degree... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I can understand how some people may yearn for it.  But ....

::: Pauses for a moment to gesture towards all the anime' collaboration event premium ships and 'paper' ships in my Port ::: 

Well, the thing is, I like these ships and I spent real money to welcome them to my Port.

Frankly, I enjoy having more than just one narrow definition of pixel-'Bote arcade-game ship(s).  I like 'em all, because each has their own charm.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Anime inspired ships! However, they are based on historical ships though... 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

WG already tested something like this in the past with an Axis vs Allies mode, but it never got out of testing due to the major balance issues that were present in such a mode.

You have the relationship between destroyers and frigates reversed. The UK and Commonwealth navies employed frigates during WWII, but they were the rough equivalent of the US DDEs. They were thus smallerless capable, and cheaper than destroyers, being designed primarily for antisubmarine warfare and convoy escort duties. The USN actually re-designated the remaining destroyer escorts to frigates (FF) in the 1970s. 

I stand corrected, sir, regarding Frigates. I was kind of hoping instead of WG always introducing these other super, hypothetical and future ships they might introduce this line of ships. Every nation had them, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles
1 hour ago, hammer_1 said:

He is just talking about ONE mode I think, like co-op or random; call it Historical mode.

I LOVE THE IDEA!

Although I dispute the idea most battles only had one CV, and you would have to allow multiple ships of same name just like regular battles to make it work with MM.

Thanks, Chief!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
120 posts
15,955 battles
2 hours ago, Dudefella said:

Sure would be nice.  It would probably be the busiest mode too.

I'm betting it would be too, Ensign. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
278 posts
7,463 battles
3 hours ago, Dudefella said:

Sure would be nice.  It would probably be the busiest mode too.

It would be my go to game mode

 

3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

WG already tested something like this in the past with an Axis vs Allies mode, but it never got out of testing due to the major balance issues that were present in such a mode.

That's why i hate and don't believe in balance, if something is powerful then let it be powerful, if something is weak then let it be weak, the trick is to make sure your the one with the powerful something.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,002
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,901 posts
9,264 battles

*Grins with a baleful gleam in his eyes*

 

Fine.  You want 'historical'?  Then here is what you must endorse in its entirety without any modifications.

 

* Only ships that were actually launched and had combat records.

* All consumables, special abilities, captain skills, slots, and enhancements disabled...that means no repair or damage control, no speed boost, no Artillery Plotting Room, ect.

* No map other than Ocean.

* All ships turning rates reduced to one tenth of their current values.

* All torpedoes reduced to only being detectable at 100 meters.  IJN torpedoes with a range of 10 km or more cannot be spotted by any means.  All torpedo carrying ships limited to one shot per tube with the exception of IJN ships, which have two.

* All guns limited to twenty shots per game of each ammo type carried.  Gun dispersion increased to five times current value.

* Ships may only gain spotting from themselves.  Positions on the minimap from allied units are delayed five minutes.

* Ships which take fifty percent damage lose half their speed and can only fire their guns a third as fast.

* No MM.  Teams will be made up of a random number of players in whatever ships they are in.  Fairness has no place on the battlefield.

 

Congratulations.  Welcome to 'almost' Realistic mode.  Hope you will enjoy what your wish for the game is when granted.

 

:cap_look:

 

Edit:  Also * Carriers may launch one squadron at a time, which will consist of 20 planes.  Squadrons make a single attack with all planes.  Carriers may launch a total of three such Squadrons per match.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,132
[SALVO]
Members
13,044 posts
8,626 battles
6 hours ago, Alevon said:

Close to Historical accurate mode: Only actual commissioned ships from participating countries during WW2. So, NO super, theoretical, and/or future ships! 

Although CVs were in service during WW2, it was very rare to have more than one CV in a battle group. So, although it would preferrable to have no CVs, only x1 CV per side. The same could be said about submarines. Yes, they were in service, but they tended to be working solo missions, not necessarily part of a battle group. So, maybe limit subs x1 per side too. BBs might have been considered to be the flag ship of a battle group. This may hurt, but maybe x1 BB per side

Yeah... Historical... About that, I guess you missed the part about Carrier Task Forces and Submarine Wolf Packs. Another important detail you might want to entertain is how CVs were actually more numerous than Battleships so you might want to hardcap BBs to 1 per match. You may also want to keep your relation between DDs and Capital ships to 4 to 1... Unless you are Germany because who cares about screening ... 

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,488
[ARS]
Beta Testers
7,795 posts
8,487 battles

Romulan cloaking devices on the DDs make any semblance of realism a farce.  The reason DDs have their cloaking devices, and massively buffed gun accuracy, and torpedo reloading, and disproportionate health, is so that they can compete one on one with BBs and CAs.  Limiting BB numbers as you suggest double penalizes BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
456 posts

One way to do this, sort of, is in the training room. Here is an example of a rematch.

Pick Ocean map. Groan all you want but it is possibly the most realistic map in the game.

Bring your HMS Hood and pick a King George V or Duke of York* as an allied bot or human player.  These are the same class of BB as the Prince of Wales so they will stand in for the HMS PoW quite nicely.

Enemy team if bots team pick Bismarck and Hipper*.    or Bismarck and Prinz Eugen if human players.  If one of them has the Prinz Eugen.

 *=Because premium ships are not available as bots in the training rooms.

Apart from minor cosmetic differences Hipper and Prinz Eugen are the same class of CA. Close enough anyways.

Hit the battle button and have at it.

True you will not gain or lose any XP or credits in this mode, but you can still have fun with this.

Other battle ideas

Bismarck vs KGV and Nelson for Bismarck's last stand.

With lower tiers you can sort of recreate Dogger Bank or Jutland, especially when the RN battlecruisers are finally released, just wing it until then. Most of the low tier RN and German BBs currently in the game were at Jutland.

Recreate Cape Matapan, or any of the Guadalcanal campaign battles or parts of the Leyte Gulf Battle like Surigao Strait where bow tanking worked out great for the IJN.  :Smile_hiding:

try it out at least,,this is as close as you will get to your idea for the now.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,002
[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,901 posts
9,264 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Romulan cloaking devices on the DDs make any semblance of realism a farce.  The reason DDs have their cloaking devices, and massively buffed gun accuracy, and torpedo reloading, and disproportionate health, is so that they can compete one on one with BBs and CAs.  Limiting BB numbers as you suggest double penalizes BBs.

 

And the only reason BBs and CAs have such things as Damage Control, Repair Party, and Defensive Fire for Anti Aircraft is so they can compete one on one with CVs.  Every ship in the game has unrealistic abilities to enable it to do its job in the game environment.  DDs are no more or less realistic in their abilities than any other shiptype in the game.

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×