Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Evrien

[Guide] How to dissuade your friend from picking up World of Warships

10 comments in this topic

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
71 posts
15,983 battles

Hi all!

As I'm sure many of us here have had the experience where an acquaintance discovers World of Warships through you, either from seeing a gloating scorecard screenshot or when you casually mention the game in a conversation. They then approach you, a veteran player of the game, to get a better understanding of this seemingly fun and innocuous title.

image.png.38772479ef764d0851d7720039830b5b.png

Now as a friend, or foe - a matter of perspectives really - you might be inclined to reach out and grab a hold of the person before they unpreparedly plunge themselves into unchartered waters. As World of Warships players ourselves, we know the sin of the deed, and how we should not wish the worst of our enemies to pick up this game. There are many reasons for this of course. You might be a super unicum, and that friend who is in every sense of the term a gamer may come in and get better PR than you, thus squeezing you off some of your most prized leaderboards. But for most of us, the least we should do is to be that responsible buffer for an ignorant friend. Because, you just might be the only thing standing between him and mental distress/financial irresponsibility.

Does that sound too daunting of a task?

Worry not - this thread may just be the most resourceful and helpful thing you'll find on this forum, preparing you for this challenge that makes you a better man.

1. Ethos: Appealing from your status as a game veteran

Now, it can be argued that your strongest asset in this is not your personality or your looks (although I'm sure they are dashing ;) ), but instead your experience. We World of Warships players have spent countless hours perfecting our skills in game - memorizing armor layouts and pen thresholds, calculating flight time and cycling, mentally playing out engagements - all sorts of highly specialized skills when we could be spending more time with family or going outside to touch grass.

This sets us apart from the beginners who are still struggling to grasp the basics. But instead of financially baiting them into buying a T8 premium and proceeding to get deleted by a Montana on the other side, we ought to help them understand the decisions they are making as someone who's walked their path before. 

image.thumb.png.9dde66e7d8c93f3bd2496ecfb8aeea94.png

(Pic unrelated - Average NA 45~48% win rate World of Warships player)

But of course, authority is not assigned without due qualifications. Just as if I were to pick up this cool game everyone plays called League of Legends, I would likely prioritize listening to a Korean god whose name starts with F and rhymes with Caker than your average joe. Luckily, World of Warships has a rich and vibrant community who is always ready, willing, and able to help people seeking advices. It is no common secret that even average players can receive high quality mentorship from the Cream of the Crop.

image.png.015f9030ba9665b08dbab650d71a6ace.png

(NA: [O7] WilliamTheDank, KotS veteran and champion)

image.png.865c9d00331589bcdce5faee08d510ca.png

(SEA: [VOR] SuperJF, KotS and CW veteran)

image.png.55ed47743ad4eb240433162071bd46f2.png

(EU: [-PTA-] _TheSneakySnake_, KotS veteran and champion)

While it can be argued that top players do not necessarily share the same view as average community members and players, it would appear that recommending World of Warships to new players is seen as a taboo among the members of established credentials. In fact, a recently published study conducted by Herrington, Darkholme, et. al (2020) at John Deere University has pointed out that gamers are receptive to those around them on opinions regarding a new title they have not been previously exposed to. They will also regard people with accomplishments having more authority in the matter.

As such, it is recommended that you, the more informed friend, should offer the inquiring party advice on how not to become associated with World of Warships. One may even say that the burden of responsibility now lies with you, given your relative status within this inquiry. Have more confidence and assert your credentials: "I've singlehandedly carried my team to a win when it was on a 500 points deficit", "I killed all 3 of a super unicum division once", "I am responsible for getting Petropavlovsk nerfed". Your words may mean more than you think.

2. Pathos: Giving them the World of Warships experience

After attempting section 1, many newcomers may be dissuaded. However, it should be noted that not everyone is as easily swayed. For those who insist on indulging their curiosity, words of advice may go unheeded. It is then up to us to acknowledge that some gamers desire a new experience above all - whether that be benign or malicious. In such cases, we have to adjust our approach in order to remain effective in deterring players from playing World of Warships - by letting them play World of Warships.

image.png.79ea92aba966b259779df504bc76fa63.png

To help curb their enthusiasm, you might be surprised to learn that World of Warships already comes with the mechanics to dissuade newcomers.

As many would know, the controversial Aircraft Carrier branches begin at Tier 4, progressing on even tiers up to Tier 10. Along this trajectory, players are constantly harrassed by the aerial menace to the point of poetic irony where getting killed by carriers without any meaningful counterplay is a commonplace occurrence that happens to unicums and beginners alike. This, to our benefit, can serve as a good way of introducing the newcomer to a glimpse of the World of Warships experience.

For this, I've recruited the generous help of Mr. Gaishu_Isshoku, one of NA's top CCs and record holder of Reworked Hakuryu's damage.

image.thumb.png.c230e7868df14a90a695621ee75959ee.png

image.png.518db921d602d70e755de6f440999e78.png

Needless to say, the experience was well-delivered.

3. Logos: The grass is indeed greener on the other side

It can be argued that when we play video games, we are not looking for any particular element - we are looking for an experience that will make our time investment worthwhile. For the short few minutes or hours we plan on spending in the game, the game must reward the players with something of equal, if not greater value. This allows us to approach our practice from yet another angle - pointing to other, more viable alternatives for our friend to derive the same level of pleasure.

Since it is against forum policy to advertise external titles, I will refrain from that and instead discuss how such practices can be done. Usually, players who pick up World of Warships come with a level of knowledge or curiosity for naval warfare. Luckily for us, the market is not short on this genre. We should be glad that we live in an era where we are not so distant from the past to appreciate naval vessels in olden days.

image.png.fda1713d39c90b98066373fef9b20c63.png

For such players with a good level of naval curiosity, it can be said that they already have a basic level of understanding for historical and naval accuracy. As such, World of Warships may unfortunately turn out to be an inadequate game for them due to the amount of highly questionable content when it comes to alignment with said accuracies. Planes that repair themselves mid-air, hangars that can produce new planes while on high seas, ships that simply vanish from direct line-of-sight, battleships that 3D-print themselves, submarines which are sturdier than cruisers, Russian pipedreams that defy naval concepts and laws of physics... The list goes on.

image.png.82d69e251086acd6ad5f70294734ebc2.png

(Legend has it that the CVs were still sending out full squadrons by end of battle here)

For the enjoyment of our friends, we should therefore refer them to titles with more accurate presentation of naval warfare. Recently, some Chinese and Japanese titles have caught international attention for their daring approach at converting naval vessels into anthromorphed images. These takes, while daring, have won acclaims for their meticulous studies of naval details and historically significant representation of different cultures between navies of the world. World of Warships, in fact, is no stranger to these titles as some collaborations have brought World of Warships vessels to the other game. This has unfortunately given rise to scenarios where gamers discover World of Warships and develop curiosity. Luckily, there are always cohorts of players eager to help protect them from treading into danger.

image.png.8e310d7b7bcb87d05d0a0ae2fe6c132d.png

4. Conclusion: It starts from you and me

It is 2022 and almost 7 years since World of Warships is released to the public. For a game with such a length, it can be hardly called "new". Yet, due to the uninformed masses being at the mercy of the information asymmetry, many new players remain vulnerable and may become new World of Warships players against their best interest. It is thus I want to highlight that we, as a community, have a shared responsibility to help stop the madness. 

There are many methods to achieve the same goal, and I happily admit that I myself am still a learner. If you have success stories where you save your friend who falls victim to an otherworldly Russian software, please also share it in the replies below. Remember - you and me are both to blame for the fact that the game is still alive today :)

Edited by Evrien
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2

[BONKS]
Members
496 posts
10,579 battles

I think we should use World of Warships as a rehabilitative treatment for those with severe anger issues.

[RVNHQ]
Members
690 posts
14,994 battles

+1

A humorous read before its inevitable lock.

[BONKS]
Members
4,327 posts
52 battles

Easily the best WoWs guide I've ever read. 10/10

[-YKD-]
Members
3,004 posts
13,045 battles

I gotten 5 people into WOWS. All of them ended up hating it. This was back in 2018. Since then I refuse to recommend this game to anyone. It's only gotten worse for new players. 

In terms of credentials, I have spent the last 5 years taking a clan I started from a Bronze 3 level to a Storm 1 level (recently I have moved on from that project). I would agree that if you aren't already in WOWS, don't get in. Even to be casual, it's better to look up 'naval warfare' on Steam and parse though the titles in that category and just pick one to mess around with for a few hours every weekend than start WOWS right now.

Maybe come January 2023 if WG starts to listen again and the company relocation makes things fresh would I reconsider changing this stance.

• Cool 1

[SALV0]
Members
579 posts
2,039 battles

Yeah some buddys of mine got me into this game years ago.

I don't talk to them anymore.....

[-SV-]
Members
50 posts
9,886 battles

I have recommended the game to several friends and they are completely hooked!

Great read BTW !

Sign in to follow this