Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Hornet - The good, the bad, and the ugly

15 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

The good:  Decent top tier CV.

The bad:  Mediocre mid tier CV.

The ugly: Poor bottom tier Cv.

Gotta learn who to pick on.  I don't think I've ever busted 100K on a Musashi before when playing CV. But if given the chance to pick on one the whole game...well, might as well.

shot-22_04.23_00_40.15-0534.thumb.jpg.750bce0fe2308668d3ec3f8de55b34aa.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,829 posts
10,524 battles

Bet that was fun for the Musashi.

[TO07]
Members
4,300 posts
31,674 battles
2 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Gotta learn who to pick on.  I don't think I've ever busted 100K on a Musashi before when playing CV. But if given the chance to pick on one the whole game...well, might as well.

The Bad And The Ugly GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Cool 2

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
11,590 battles

I dunno.  Seems like the ideal target for the B-25s.  Sure as hell beats trying to drop on a Massa or Cleveland.   (it was a co-op game or something or other.  can't remember --I was playing while I still had the flu/cold.)

[NBNG]
Beta Testers
1,660 posts
5,010 battles
3 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

fun and engaging. 

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles

Always drop on the Musashi. That is a saying among CV players. LOL

Yeah, the Musashi player was mad as heck. But for some reason, you always find a Musashi alone with no AA cruiser to snuggle with.

Coincidence!?

[WHIPI]
Members
1,603 posts
18,714 battles

just stay away from those OP russian ships.  For some reason WG thinks they deserve the best AA.  The Stalingrad and Petro are untouchable by the Hornet.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,432 posts
9,982 battles
6 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

About as much fun as a Seattle getting dropped on by the Musashi.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,806 battles
1 hour ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Always drop on the Musashi. That is a saying among CV players. LOL

Yeah, the Musashi player was mad as heck. But for some reason, you always find a Musashi alone with no AA cruiser to snuggle with.

Coincidence!?

It's because they are always sniping at long range and don't ever want to push, so the cruisers which could help them with AA fire leave them behind. Yammys basically do the same thing.

Mushy is basically a T10 BB with T5 AA. It's the only high tier ship where you can basically guarantee that all of your planes will survive every single attack. Musashi is basically the #1 ship that every CV player salivates over. It's basically free points. 

Musashi, Ashitaka, and Mutsu are the single easiest BBs for a CV to farm.  Japanese AA is pretty bad across the board. Those three basically have pre-war IJN AA, which is bad on top of bad. 

[WOLFG]
Members
17,115 posts
20,488 battles
53 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

About as much fun as a Seattle Rooster, Mino, Venezia, Jinan Des Moines or anything else without an icebreaker getting dropped on by the Musashi.

Hard to feel too sorry for the most OP tier IX premium.

Or at least most OP so far 

Edited by DrHolmes52

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,806 battles
8 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I have to say, I absolutely wanted Hornet, and they implemented it pretty much the way I expected them to, but it isn't a particularly potent CV. Potency-wise it's battling it out with Implacable at the bottom of the pile. Like any ship it is capable of high damage games but you really need to work at it far more than most other CVs and you need a favorable slate of opponents, particularly some Musashis or Ashitakas. lol. Incomparable is another ship you really want to see. 

Good: Like you said, it is decent when top tier. Its slow planes aren't a huge issue and the AP bombs are reasonably effective against lower tier BBs. The B-25s have potential to be potent in the right circumstances. Torps are basically Ranger's (T6 on other words) with the same size airgroup, but they are front loaded which makes them a bit more effective. Ranger attacks with 4 groups of 2 so the later waves rarely are alive to do anything. Hornet frontloads them with 4 groups of two. That helps you get better upfront burst damage even though the individual torp damage is lower. The torp arming distance is quite short though so you can drop even on targets that are close up against islands and you can drop close to DDs to make it harder for them to dodge. The AP bombs are quite effective against high-tier cruisers, even the supercruisers (if you can survive the AA long enough to reach the drop point.). 

Bad: Again, like you said it is a mediocre on-tier CV. That's probably being kind. You really have to work to get damage. At least half of the on-tier BBs are resistant to the AP bombs so that weapon is largely off the table. Torp damage is more frontloaded but it is still low, as is the flood chance.  The B-25s do fairly well but it is HE+Fire and you have no other source of fire damage to help get a permafire. Add to this your low flooding chance and it is really hard to stack DOT damage. Also, unfortunately the AP bombers don't dive. This sucks because it basically means that the bombs have forward motion from the planes rather than the downward motion that DBs get. That basically means they come down on an angle against deck armor and treat it as thicker than it should be and this causes more deflections than you would like. 

Ugly: Yep, as you said, it's a really poor bottom tier CV. Planes basically T6 and are terribly slow on top of it. AA cruisers are staggeringly painful. The ship also has little effective ability to engage DDs. The short arming distance gives you a good chance of hitting them, but the torps are quite slow and if the DD is moving fast it can just outrun them. Even if you hit, the sub 5k damage is less than a third of the health of most of the DDs it will see. High tier BBs are really a struggle beyond the B-25s. Even weak TDS on high tier BBs will shave the lousy per torp damage down to about 3k. Yammy and Mushy can reduce it to basically 2k. The AP bombers only really work on German BBs and BCs at this tier. For anythign else you really only will get a pen at best. Finally, it doesn't counter other CVs well at all. The slow planes make it very hard to get into position to drop fighters and the B-25s don't have fighters at all so you really only have 2 sets you can use. 

My suggestions so far:

1. First and foremost, use the B-25s on cooldown if there is anythign productive for them to do. You need to keep that cooldown cycling. Too much of your damage is tied up in them for them to be idle.

2. Take commander skills to buff bombers. Anythign that improves their speed and regen should be taken.  They work for both the B-25s and the AP bombers. 

3. Your most reliable damage will come from the TBs. Unfortunately it isn't very high. Buff them if you have spare points or modules that can help them but don't do so over ones that improve the bombers. 

4. Hornet has to play more like the Russian CVs in that it needs to stay fairly close to the target. Her normal air groups are frontloaded and only make two attacks in total, but in practice you will almost never have enough left to make the second attack. You are basically sacrificing them to try to get the first to hit. Essentially, fight like a Russian CV and just make one attack. If anythign survived after the first attack, just send it back to the CV so it gets added back into the reserve. I haven't encountered a Musashi in Hornet, but she may be the only exception where you probably will have enough that survived the first strike to make a second. 

Edit: Amusingly, right after I posted this I entered a game with Hornet and ran into a Musashi, and I can confirm that Musashi really can't shoot down any of Hornet's planes on the inbound attack. Unless something else is out there to help her Hornet should be able to get both attacks in on a Mushy pretty much 100% of the time. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,983 posts
5,224 battles

The ugly is that Fat Bumble Bee camo.

Oh, wait.  That isn't in game yet?  Just ignore me.

[ARR0W]
Members
6,146 posts
32,898 battles
11 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

You pays your money and takes your choice. Without a CV, its OP. With one, its usually the only thing that should be targeted. 

Its even more than the joy a Bearn feels when there is an enemy Repulse. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Cool 1

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,432 posts
9,982 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Hard to feel too sorry for the most OP tier IX premium.

Or at least most OP so far 

Well, it always feels like something is OP when you're the fly under the swatter.  The number of times you're the swatter tends to be lost in those times.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles

I’ll be honest, when I am in Musashi and facing a Tier VIII CV I don’t mind it focusing on me at all.  Musashi is so damage resistant that it can endure CV attacks for a long time and in doing so it takes a lot of pressure off of my teammates.  Tier x CVs are a different story.

Sign in to follow this