You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Vego_Mohenjo

Forever bottom tier

12 comments in this topic

Members
177 posts
4,734 battles

I've commented on this before, but it's getting really, REALLY tiresome lately.

Yesterday, I played 22 matches.  I was bottom tier, by TWO tiers, in every game.  On average, there were 6 enemies at least one tier higher than me.  Usually 4 of those were two tiers higher.  There were never any less than two ships two tiers higher.  Today, I played 6 games.  I was bottom tier in all but two, and the reason I wasn't was because I had tier 10 subs to play.  In those games, I was plagued instead by carriers with magic clairvoyant planes that flew straight to me, and stayed RIGHT overhead for the whole match.

Now, I did ok in some of the games.  I even  did pretty well in some of them.  That's beside the point.  It's just that it's really tiresome having to fight over my head in every single match.  How I long for a fair fight.

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
20,315 posts
13,642 battles
8 minutes ago, Vego_Mohenjo said:

I've commented on this before, but it's getting really, REALLY tiresome lately.

Yesterday, I played 22 matches.  I was bottom tier, by TWO tiers, in every game.  On average, there were 6 enemies at least one tier higher than me.  Usually 4 of those were two tiers higher.  There were never any less than two ships two tiers higher.  Today, I played 6 games.  I was bottom tier in all but two, and the reason I wasn't was because I had tier 10 subs to play.  In those games, I was plagued instead by carriers with magic clairvoyant planes that flew straight to me, and stayed RIGHT overhead for the whole match.

Now, I did ok in some of the games.  I even  did pretty well in some of them.  That's beside the point.  It's just that it's really tiresome having to fight over my head in every single match.  How I long for a fair fight.

Eh, being bottom tier vs bots just means more XP.

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles
5 hours ago, Vego_Mohenjo said:

It's just that it's really tiresome having to fight over my head in every single match.

I used to believe the same thing.  To prove how bad it was, I started keeping track of every game I played in a Tier 5, 6, 7 and 8 ship.  I have A LOT of games tracked:

Tier 5:  432 games played in Tier 5 ships, I was bottom tier in 276, or 64%.  *However, in 112 of those games the highest tier was Tier 6.  Tier 5 is unique in seeing so many games at +/- one tier.

Tier 6:  962 games played in Tier 6 ships, I was bottom tier in 348, or 35%

Tier 7: 1,118 games played in Tier 7 ships, I was bottom tier in 285, or 25%.

Tier 8: 1,286 games played in Tier 8 ships, I was bottom tier in 514, or 40%.

Obviously, keeping track did not yield the results I was expecting.  I was NOT bottom tier "most of the time".  My results demonstrated the human condition of remembering the unpleasant more vividly than the pleasant.  Low tier streaks will certainly happen, but in my case they were more than compensated for.

I don't even mind being bottom tier, anymore.  I welcome the challenge to finish in the top 3 of my team with a bottom tier ship, and it isn't even that hard to do.

If you are primarily a Co-op player (assumed since this is the PVE Content subforum), being bottom tier is even more of a non-issue.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,732 posts
37,475 battles

Tiers 7 and 8 can be disastrous if you are bottom tiered by two tiers and in precisely the wrong ship.

[U_S_A]
Beta Testers
68 posts
2,946 battles

I’m frustrated with my Hornet in tier 10 battles where only my B25s can survive to launch ordnance. 
Not sure what I’m doing wrong. 

Members
177 posts
4,734 battles

I suppose there could be some confirmation bias, but I was playing through my ship roster, one game per ship.  22 ships later, it had been bottom tier each time.

I realize there's more xp if you're bottom tier, but you have to be able to DO something to get the xp, and you can't if you are instantly deleted by anything that shoots at you, or if you're unable to do any damage to anything.  For instance, Haida is considered a good tier 7 DD, but her torpedoes more or less bounce off of tier 9 ships.  She just can't compete.  Plus, the reality is that I don't play for xp, I play for fun... and it's not any fun being unable to compete.

Members
177 posts
4,734 battles
1 hour ago, poppavein said:

I’m frustrated with my Hornet in tier 10 battles where only my B25s can survive to launch ordnance. 
Not sure what I’m doing wrong. 

Ya, that's a whole other thing.  Being bottom tier in a carrier means you're basically out of the match unless you're VERY fortunate.

Also, I hear you.  I watch videos of people flying their planes in on targets, and easily getting there without losing their squadron.  When I do the same thing, even when I dodge MORE than the people in the videos, I still lose half the squad on approach, and the rest after the drop... and that's if it's just one ship.  If there's overlapping AA, just forget it, the planes will be wiped out almost instantly.  Like you, I have to assume I'm doing something wrong, but I can't fathom what it might be.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,651 battles
2 hours ago, Vego_Mohenjo said:

Ya, that's a whole other thing.  Being bottom tier in a carrier means you're basically out of the match unless you're VERY fortunate.

Also, I hear you.  I watch videos of people flying their planes in on targets, and easily getting there without losing their squadron.  When I do the same thing, even when I dodge MORE than the people in the videos, I still lose half the squad on approach, and the rest after the drop... and that's if it's just one ship.  If there's overlapping AA, just forget it, the planes will be wiped out almost instantly.  Like you, I have to assume I'm doing something wrong, but I can't fathom what it might be.

I disagree with this.  It's the same as being bottom tier in any other type of ship.  You have to learn to pick your spots.  You just can't bull your way through the enemy.  Bottom tier CVs and even top tier CVs should be looking for targets of opportunity.  Enemy ships that are off by themselves with no nearby AA support.  Don't attack clusters of enemy ships.  That's a sure way to lose a lot of planes in a hurry.  Better to look for rogue enemy ships and preferably ones with weaker AA.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
672 posts
27,254 battles
11 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Obviously, keeping track did not yield the results I was expecting.  I was NOT bottom tier "most of the time".  My results demonstrated the human condition of remembering the unpleasant more vividly than the pleasant.  Low tier streaks will certainly happen, but in my case they were more than compensated for.

@Vego_Mohenjo

Yep, bad streaks happen and I would guess 99% of the player base doesn't take down specific stats about themselves.  Having more data and objectivity is good.

I remembering posting a few months ago,   one night where I had 3 mercy games in a span of 4 played.  Oh boy I didn't like that,  but thought that was really unusual and just bad luck.

75% mercy rate in one day.   Should I take anything from this,  no not really.  I can make a note of it and compare over the long run.

Not quite 500 battles later,  but very close.   I'm going to put 79 out of 500 for simplicity.  That's not even 20%,  it was 25%-26% mercy games?  last year when I posted about my match data with 500+ battles. 

• Cool 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
On 4/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, Vego_Mohenjo said:

it's coop....  bots and detection can be manipulated to minimize your risk...  push forward first be the first to be spotted and you will get focused...   

[WOLFG]
Members
17,116 posts
20,488 battles
15 minutes ago, SKurj said:

it's coop....  bots and detection can be manipulated to minimize your risk...  push forward first be the first to be spotted and you will get focused...   

Yep.  I hit 7 this weekend.  

And there was a CV and a sub so..........

But only 1 BB so I lived.