You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Next level CVs

9 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Have you ever noticed that whenever you see the world "airship" in an article the word "crash" isn't far behind?

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles

A furthur devolpment of the aircraft carrier can then be this:

jonny klemchuk on Twitter: "That's one big momma. Boeing 747 AAC  https://t.co/7YgWcJvNgM https://t.co/euwgx1rGAE" / Twitter

This was the plan for a 747 aircraft carrier - We Are The Mighty

Edited by Boomer625

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
6 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

A furthur devolpment of the aircraft carrier can then be this

Been tried, didn't work.

McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_parasite-fighter_

Several countries attempted to perfect the concept over nearly a half a century but it was finally given up as untenable.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,114 posts
20,488 battles
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Been tried, didn't work.

McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin_parasite-fighter_

Several countries attempted to perfect the concept over nearly a half a century but it was finally given up as untenable.

Parasite fighters.  Tried on bombers, tried on blimps before that.

I could see a bomber dropping off an autonomous drone sometime in the future.  Wouldn't be as fast or as capable as a modern fighter, but probably more stealthy and cheaper.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Wouldn't be as fast or as capable as a modern fighter, but probably more stealthy and cheaper.

Nest-gen unmanned fighters have been in testing for at least a decade. Most of these experimental aircraft are still flying under the radar, so to speak. There's a lot more under development than the public knows about.

Soon, humans will be so woefully slow in comparison to AI decision making that they will be relegated to only giving the AI-controlled vehicles go or no-go commands.

BQ3JS5F5ZJAVND3ATCVI7VY45M.jpg

The Air Force has shown that advanced AI-enabled computer algorithms are capable of processing information in milliseconds, making decisions and performing quite well in dog-fights, at times prevailing over human pilots.

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

@Snargfargle Years and years ago when UAVs and Drones were garnering attention in Iraq and the GWOT, telling friends that the days of manned aircraft were being threatened.  Eventually you will have technologically inclined states being able to field AI systems for various roles.

The idea for it sounds expensive, but so is recruiting, training a person to become a military pilot.  The "upkeep" of a human pilot does not stop there, he needs a lot of recurring training to maintain proficiency.  Eventually you'll have these computer systems rolling off the line to "pilot" these vehicles.

There was denial in people about that prospect back in the 2000s if you brought this up.  A man is not replaceable, "You need a human in charge at all times!" or some other nonsense.  I was playing 2019's Ace Combat 7 with its fictional world.  There was a big part of the game's story of man vs drones, how man is superior and all that crap.  Even in the game's insane story it took a person with inhuman abilities and skill (i.e. the OP player) to take down these drones, because the rank and file pilots in the story couldn't.

Even with the later Cold War era aircraft you already saw pilot skills being replaced by computer systems.

Navigational systems taking a lot of the work away from pilots.

Flight Control Systems with computers translating pilot inputs to get the crazy control surfaces to get the aircraft to do what the pilot wants.  Stuff like the F/A-18, F-16, etc. were already doing this.  Modern aircraft control surfaces are complex, this isn't the days of WWII aircraft with pilots controlling EVERYTHING that happens on a plane.  Even in the middle of the Cold War with Hornets, Falcons, Eagles, etc. you already had computers doing a lot of the work.

What you showed is a natural evolution towards that.  It's been going on since the Cold War.

Early in my career with the Marines, I was an electrician for KC-130F, R, T model of aircraft.  Really old stuff, the F models were early 1960s vintage.  Deriving with technology from the 1950s, there's a bunch of wiring but still a lot of old school mechanical devices, controls.  Over the service life you have had improvements with more electronics.  In the very late 1990s while I was stationed at NASJRB Ft Worth, TX with a reserve KC-130 squadron, Lockheed had parked on our flight line one of the new C-130J aircraft that they were trying to do a sales pitch for with the US military.  The flight engineer for that plane was a retired Marine and he came down to our squadron and asked to see if any of its Marines would be interested to "take a look at the future of the Marine Corps."  I went and the Flight Engineer was showing the new bird.  I was amazed.  On the outside it very closely resembled the old 1960s, 1970s KC-130s we were already using.  But on the inside, it was totally different.  Wires, wires, wires, computers, electronic devices everywhere.  It was truly a more electronic plane compared to the old cables and pulleys, we had of the older Hercules.

Things get replaced, made obsolete all the time, technology marches on.

You know they have air-to-air missiles now that you don't need to have boresight on an enemy aircraft to launch?

• Cool 1