Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ALargeWoodenBadger

Can Secondary's see things I don't?

3 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
21,473 battles

Some nights ago I was sitting in smoke in my Shimakaza, I'm not detected nor have I been detected, but I'm being pummeled by the secondary's' of a  Schlieffin. This happened in a couple of games that night and again the next night (different ships but same conditions). Latter I take out my F. Der Grosse, there are no ships near me according to my mini map but there is smoke off my starboard side. My secondary's start firing, and I'm getting hits... still no ships on the mini map. Tonight I'm in the Zieten, no ships are near me on the mini map, and my secondary's start firing into the smoke off to the starboard and again I'm getting hits.

Boom, bag me a Kagero!

He never showed on the mini map. I never knew he was there. My computer controlled secondary's are hitting ships I can't see.

This is my second secondary kill of a ship I didn't detect. 

The first few times (either as the DD or the BB) I figured I'm just not paying attention to the mini-map, but tonight I watched carefully when my secondary's lit up. I definitely killed a ship with my secondary's that I couldn't see.

Anyone else experiencing this? (or! hear me out, can we extend this feature to depth charges?)

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles

If you got the replays, attach them, we'd clear them right up.  There's a replay folder in your WoWS directory, for example mine is here: C:\Games\World_of_Warships\replays

Attach it to your post and we'll check it out.

It's my belief you got spotted but failed to notice the DETECTED! warning.  Hydro, Radar, Proximity Spotting (another ship gets within 2km, you'll both spot each other no matter what, even through islands).  Another one is "Gun Bloom."  All guns have a range that causes the ship to be detected when firing from smoke, and there is an enemy ship within that range.  For Shimakaze it's 2.65km (Fitting Tool entry, look under Concealment).

Secondary Batteries do not blind fire into undetected ships.

There is also the possibility that another ship was shooting at you in your smoke with their main batteries.  A player can easily do that.  They don't need to spot you.  They know you're in your smoke.  If the smoke pattern is small then it removes the guess work.  If you're firing your own guns from your smoke, well, tracers work both ways!

Your ship's secondaries will fire at anything that's spotted and within range.  There's also a very real possibility someone spotted something briefly, your secondaries fired at it, but the enemy ship went back into stealth.  I highly suggest enabling on your minimap last spotted position of enemy ships.  It's valuable information.

Again, attach the replays, that would let us clear everything up real easily.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[P_P]
Members
500 posts

yeah i get this fairly often when playing a secondary build. just takes a couple sec's for the graphics to load the enemy ship (or its ping related) . you might be getting a delay in graphics, but since the secondary's are auto fire - it runs off when the wows server says that you should be seeing it.

lest that's how i think it works.

Sign in to follow this