You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LastRemnant

Supership Subs

45 comments in this topic

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

So wargaming when are you going to release a supership sub :fish_cute_2: It's only fair after all ship class has at least one supership when will subs get some love :fish_haloween:

kDdAToM.jpg

How about this one :Smile_glasses: or maybe the USS George Washington submarine so we can use these in the game :Smile_trollface:

AVvP68b.gif

But in all seriousness when wargaming :fish_aqua:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 11

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,340 posts
9,620 battles

Subs aren’t even finalized yet.  Super subs shouldn’t even be conceptualized until submarines are final AND have been in full release for some time, more than a year in my opinion, so that adjustments can be made on the base lines.

• Funny 1

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
3 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

So wargaming when are you going to release a supership sub :fish_cute_2: It's only fair after all ship class has at least one supership when will subs get some love :fish_haloween:

If anything was to be the supership I'd want to have the other USS Nautilus. The 6"-gun-armed island camper. With controllable guns.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
13 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Subs aren’t even finalized yet.  Super subs shouldn’t even be conceptualized until submarines are final AND have been in full release for some time, more than a year in my opinion, so that adjustments can be made on the base lines.

Wouldnt be surprised if wargaming has something already :Smile_teethhappy:

11 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

If anything was to be the supership I'd want to have the other USS Nautilus. The 6"-gun-armed island camper. With controllable guns.

I can't find this other USS nautilus is this a variant or something :Smile_amazed: Do you have a source on this  :fish_book:

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
1 hour ago, black_hull4 said:

I think any of the cruiser subs would end up being a disappointment in game (which they mostly were IRL). Too few guns to duke it out with anybody. (The Brit version did have  2x2 5.25s though). The sub is going to lose any gunfight unless the target is already almost dead.  I assume their range would be pretty short (very limited gun directors, low to the water) but WG can do as they wish. They are more vulnerable to HE near misses (AFAIK) with relatively small HP pools so would be at a huge disadvantage. Plus just about everybody will drop what they are doing and shoot a spotted sub and they are vulnerable to ASW airstrikes. 

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
1 hour ago, LastRemnant said:

I can't find this other USS nautilus is this a variant or something :Smile_amazed: Do you have a source on this  :fish_book:

It was built pre-WWII. It was used a lot to spy on and attack remote Japanese held islands. Carried Frogmen (predecessors to Navy Seals) to survey and clear potential invasion beaches.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

It was built pre-WWII. It was used a lot to spy on and attack remote Japanese held islands. Carried Frogmen (predecessors to Navy Seals) to survey and clear potential invasion beaches.

Oh that Nautilus :fish_cute_2: Yeah I thought may have been a variant of the first nuclear sub or something :Smile_hiding:

Members
51 posts
5,077 battles

For the love of.....

First, maybe they should finish the half-baked, not-quite-implemented, WW2-era, only-American-and-German subs that they are still "testing'. And look at adding WW2 subs to other nations first (Japan, UK and France off the top of my head).

Second, Supership Subs will only infuriate the opposition to submarines overall considering how divisive they are now.

And lastly, personally I would prefer Wargaming to look at new game modes (maybe something that subs fit into better) or improve what already exists in the game (like surface ship AA). 

• Funny 1

[-AGW-]
Members
754 posts
47,284 battles

or they might try putting in WW2 subs with actual WW2 performance in weapons, speed etc 

Not remove all their weaknesses.

Not give them post 1950  performance & weapons.

[HOP4S]
Members
6,995 posts
35,446 battles

The I-400 IJN Subs.  These were Super ship submarines !

Had German Snorkels and Periscopes.  8 Tubes.  Three dive bombers.  Air and Surface Radar....  And, a lot of AA weapons for a sub!  Make this a Dockyard event where you can only use subs and Carriers to accomplish the dockyard and this sub is yours !!!!

image.png.415f745664b4c0d8c8e0549fc90b5e6b.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
3 hours ago, Musket22 said:

Not give them post 1950  performance & weapons.

Kinda scary what  capabilities WG would have to give T11 subs, which actually could approach the speeds and use the weapons they currently give T6 boats.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,141 posts
30,906 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, LastRemnant said:

Oh that Nautilus :fish_cute_2: Yeah I thought may have been a variant of the first nuclear sub or something :Smile_hiding:

A while back USS Nautilus was added to Azur Lane.  There was some fun with that because of her time being used to deploy Marine Raiders against the Japanese.

gxtah1om5cj71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Nautilus was commissioned in 1930, ancient compared to the 1941 Gato and 1943 Balao-class submarines.  But if you read her history, her wartime service saw a lot of events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nautilus_(SS-168)

USS_Nautilus_(SS-168).jpg

She was one of the USN submarines deployed for the Battle of Midway.  She found the Kido Butai and was trying to attack but she got spotted.  She was being depth charged and run off.  The Kido Butai kept on going and dispatched Kagero-class Destroyer Arashi to finish the job.  After an extensive search Arashi could not find Nautilus and gave up, starting her trip to rejoin the fleet.  However, at that time, bombers from the US Carriers were flying around.  They flew to that area because that's where they estimated the Japanese fleet to be, but they weren't there.  The pilots noticed a big white chevron in the seas:  The wake left by Arashi was seen from high above and she was hauling a**.  The Americans figured she was going somewhere important, i.e. the Carriers, following her course and make history:

hiKJhQY.jpeg

Shiratsuyu-class DD Yamakaze after being torpedoed by Nautilus.

1920px-Torpedoed_Japanese_destroyer_Yama

US Marines boarding Nautilus for a raid.

Nautilus_Makin_Raid.jpg

She was there for the start of WWII for the US and survived it.  Not an easy feat for any submarine force in WWII to make it through the full duration.  Even the highly successful American submarine campaign against Japan still saw heavy losses with some of the worst casualty rates of the US armed forces.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A while back USS Nautilus was added to Azur Lane.  There was some fun with that because of her time being used to deploy Marine Raiders against the Japanese.

gxtah1om5cj71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Nautilus was commissioned in 1930, ancient compared to the 1941 Gato and 1943 Balao-class submarines.  But if you read her history, her wartime service saw a lot of events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nautilus_(SS-168)

USS_Nautilus_(SS-168).jpg

She was one of the USN submarines deployed for the Battle of Midway.  She found the Kido Butai and was trying to attack but she got spotted.  She was being depth charged and run off.  The Kido Butai kept on going and dispatched Kagero-class Destroyer Arashi to finish the job.  After an extensive search Arashi could not find Nautilus and gave up, starting her trip to rejoin the fleet.  However, at that time, bombers from the US Carriers were flying around.  They flew to that area because that's where they estimated the Japanese fleet to be, but they weren't there.  However, the pilots noticed a big white chevron in the seas:  The wake left by Arashi was seen from high above and she was hauling a**.  The Americans figured she was going somewhere important, i.e. the Carriers, following her course and make history:

hiKJhQY.jpeg

Shiratsuyu-class DD Yamakaze after being torpedoed by Nautilus.

1920px-Torpedoed_Japanese_destroyer_Yama

US Marines boarding Nautilus for a raid.

Nautilus_Makin_Raid.jpg

She was there for the start of WWII for the US and survived it.  Not an easy feat for any submarine force in WWII to make it through the full duration.  Even the highly successful American submarine campaign against Japan still saw heavy losses with some of the worst casualty rates of the US armed forces.

Very interesting :fish_cute_2: It seems this sub has a storied history :fish_book: But yes it is too old to be a supership sub :Smile_child:

[CAAT]
Members
6,268 posts
8,033 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 7:36 PM, LastRemnant said:

kDdAToM.jpg

How about this one :Smile_glasses: or maybe the USS George Washington submarine so we can use these in the game :Smile_trollface:

AVvP68b.gif

Noooo, please, not yet, not super subs yet, sub implementation isn't even finalized in general, let alone super subs!!!!

ace-attorney.gif.6474536ca3545eb96d692b6285262c38.gif

[TO07]
Members
4,300 posts
31,680 battles
On 4/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, LastRemnant said:

kDdAToM.jpg

AVvP68b.gif

Future War Stories: FWS Military Sci-Fi Oddities: SeaQuest DSV and SeaQuest:2032  (1993-1996)

perfect for this new super ship game

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles

rather then nukes.....

how about one of the post war subs?

Tang-class?

USS_Gudgeon_;0856710.jpg

everyone loves Tang

GUEST_4b59dfde-6faa-4f3a-ab1e-80d5c284ba

[WPORT]
Members
20,732 posts
22,656 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 7:54 PM, LastRemnant said:

Wouldnt be surprised if wargaming has something already :Smile_teethhappy:

On 4/20/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sabot_100 said:

USS Nautilus (SS-168)  https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Nautilus_(SS-168)

USS Nautilus (SSN-571)  https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/ships/submarines/uss-nautilus.html

The "fictional" Nautilus from Jules Verne's novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (sources and descriptions vary on the internet)  https://20thousandleaguesunderthesea.com/the-nautilus/
The Disney movie and theme-park Nautilus  https://insidethemagic.net/2018/05/about-the-nautilus-a-deeper-dive-into-jules-vernes-iconic-submarine/

The Nautilus from the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311429/

Personally, I am willing to welcome all of the above to my Port.
It would merely be a question of which tier each would play in.

[WPORT]
Members
20,732 posts
22,656 battles

And while we're on the subject of "super" submarines.  :-)

UFO SKYDIVER: A Tribute

The Seaview, from the television show Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

[WPORT]
Members
20,732 posts
22,656 battles

And for collaboration entertainment, especially considering all the improvements to the underwater portions of the in-game maps.

"Sealab 2020" cartoon collaboration.  :-)

Spoiler

Sealab 2020 | Intro | Warner Bros. Entertainment

https://youtu.be/8nGS0UbmGD8

And for the parody value... Sealab 2021

https://youtu.be/zy9FkAXMBfk

[WPORT]
Members
20,732 posts
22,656 battles
7 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Noooo, please, not yet, not super subs yet, sub implementation isn't even finalized in general, let alone super subs!!!!

ace-attorney.gif.6474536ca3545eb96d692b6285262c38.gif

Blue Submarine No. 6 Trailer - US Official

[CAAT]
Members
6,268 posts
8,033 battles
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Nautilus from the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

1281813080_LXGMovieNutilus.jpg.224d805ff0e364ec84807a32f3b8cc4e.jpg

Quite possibly the tallest, most impractical sub design I have ever seen, yet it still looks "cool" XD

I would laugh if Wargaming did a similar design for some event sub or something :P

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,310 posts
23,640 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, LastRemnant said:

kDdAToM.jpg

AVvP68b.gif

I think it will be some time before you see one, but it is likely.

[CAAT]
Members
6,268 posts
8,033 battles
7 hours ago, tm63au said:

Future War Stories: FWS Military Sci-Fi Oddities: SeaQuest DSV and SeaQuest:2032  (1993-1996)

Wait, isn't that SeaQuest DSV? XD

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,310 posts
23,640 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 8:00 PM, Asym_KS said:

The I-400 IJN Subs.  These were Super ship submarines !

Had German Snorkels and Periscopes.  8 Tubes.  Three dive bombers.  Air and Surface Radar....  And, a lot of AA weapons for a sub!  Make this a Dockyard event where you can only use subs and Carriers to accomplish the dockyard and this sub is yours !!!!

image.png.415f745664b4c0d8c8e0549fc90b5e6b.png

This is the real prize. Some day.

• Cool 1