Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

First Look: Tier VIII Premium Italian Aircraft Carrier Aquila

17 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,783 posts
15,287 battles

The Regia Marina had only begun to dip their toes into naval aviation at the onset of World War II, but that legacy is soon arriving via Tier VIII Premium Italian aircraft carrier Aquila. Join me as we learn a bit more about Wargaming's design of this ship in-game.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[WOSV]
Members
670 posts
5,628 battles

Aquila feels a tad underwhelming. Very reliant on specific targets being present, and likely alone. AP rockets haven't really been a super big problem, as I see very few German CV's nowadays. Too reliant on specific scenarios to be useful. Granted Aquila has a crap-load of them, so maybe it'll be better. But once again, another CV introduced with limited/no effectiveness vs DD's. Like you said in the video, seems to be a theme.

But the armor and AA... yikes. She matches up horribly vs Pobeda/Chkalov. She will get sniped in those matchups unless you can find some friendly AA.

Yeah, not particularly interested in this one, personally. Nice addition for history's sake, but she just doesn't catch my eye.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles
13 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Aquila feels a tad underwhelming. Very reliant on specific targets being present, and likely alone. AP rockets haven't really been a super big problem, as I see very few German CV's nowadays. Too reliant on specific scenarios to be useful. Granted Aquila has a crap-load of them, so maybe it'll be better. But once again, another CV introduced with limited/no effectiveness vs DD's. Like you said in the video, seems to be a theme.

But the armor and AA... yikes. She matches up horribly vs Pobeda/Chkalov. She will get sniped in those matchups unless you can find some friendly AA.

Yeah, not particularly interested in this one, personally. Nice addition for history's sake, but she just doesn't catch my eye.

Don't forget 899 Division.

Also, you following the Halo TV show?

[-K-]
2,783 posts
15,287 battles
36 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

This is how I feel about her right now as well, but the proof is in the pudding.  It's easy to judge a ship on paper stats alone, but they don't tell the full story.  Without knowing her reticles or seeing her plane speed in action it's hard for me to gauge.

The sniping threat is incredibly real.  This is a "fleet carrier" that could get sniped by the likes of Saipan, even.  

[WOSV]
Members
670 posts
5,628 battles
24 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Also, you following the Halo TV show?

From a distance. Incredibly disappointing, I'm afraid to say. I could get into whole essays ranting on how contradictory it is to Halo's established lore, and the overabundance of the character's bare behinds, but I'll save it for a more appropriate place.

[CMFRT]
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,348 posts
3,029 battles

Id say people judging this (and other ships) on stats alone should definitely wait until gameplay of the ships come out before making any hard and fast decisions.

• Cool 2

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
5 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Id say people judging this (and other ships) on stats alone should definitely wait until gameplay of the ships come out before making any hard and fast decisions.

It has two types of planes unlike the usual three types :Smile_hiding: One of them is rockets :Smile_facepalm: The other is torps and the damage of the torps is underwhelming :Smile_sceptic: If you play CVs a lot you can tell it will be average or below average at best :fish_sleep: It would be better if the rocket planes where DB planes but nooooooooo DDs must be protect it :Smile_smile:

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
Modder, Alpha Tester
1,348 posts
3,029 battles
2 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

It has two types of planes unlike the usual three types :Smile_hiding: One of them is rockets :Smile_facepalm: The other is torps and the damage of the torps is underwhelming :Smile_sceptic: If you play CVs a lot you can tell it will be average or below average at best :fish_sleep: It would be better if the rocket planes where DB planes but nooooooooo DDs must be protect it :Smile_smile:

I can say no more than what I have said because of the NDA I am under. All Im saying is players are remarkably terrible at juding ships by thier on paper stats.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

I can say no more than what I have said because of the NDA I am under. All Im saying is players are remarkably terrible at juding ships by thier on paper stats.

lQQw7QA.gif

Okay I see you don't have to say another word then :Smile_popcorn:You got the classified wows sauce then :fish_cute_2: For me though it doesn't matter CVs with only two types of aircraft is a deal-breaker for me :fish_palm: Plus rocket planes are meh for me now quite frankly too much of bother or time-consuming for little to no benefit :fish_sleep: At least for me they are :fish_aqua:

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles
53 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

From a distance. Incredibly disappointing, I'm afraid to say. I could get into whole essays ranting on how contradictory it is to Halo's established lore, and the overabundance of the character's bare behinds, but I'll save it for a more appropriate place.

It should have been an easy layup for success, but then I recall how for a good while now that the IPs of Star Trek and Star Wars have been severely mishandled.  Star Wars especially is an easy gold mine, but it's getting screwed up badly.  It no longer surprises me.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,800 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor said:

This is how I feel about her right now as well, but the proof is in the pudding.  It's easy to judge a ship on paper stats alone, but they don't tell the full story.  Without knowing her reticles or seeing her plane speed in action it's hard for me to gauge.

The sniping threat is incredibly real.  This is a "fleet carrier" that could get sniped by the likes of Saipan, even.  

Just as a historical note, Aquila has so little armor because she isn't built on a warship hull. She is a converted ocean liner. Even Saipan basically had Baltimore armor. Aquila really had none. She had some minor bulging, some improved subdivision, and concrete. That's it. 

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,320 battles

:cap_fainting:SAP rockets will come out, and we can dev strike DD’s, make BB superstructure cry, and all will be glorious.

Then, the bombers will be added added, and will have SAP-HE bombers too. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
2,783 posts
15,287 battles
6 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Just as a historical note, Aquila has so little armor because she isn't built on a warship hull. She is a converted ocean liner. Even Saipan basically had Baltimore armor. Aquila really had none. She had some minor bulging, some improved subdivision, and concrete. That's it. 

Honestly, hull aside, the sniping threat is a problem for the same reason it's an issue for Saipan: the total and complete lack of an outer AA bubble.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,124 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We're about to have 2 carriers named Eagle in the game.

Not too far off from having Lion, Lyon, and Leone.....depending on how bad your pronunciation goes :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this