You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
grumpy_ole_man

Mechanic

11 comments in this topic

[DCMA]
Members
275 posts
5,873 battles

In order to improve in this game what are the mechanics I need to start learning In order to improve.

Yeah this is something I should have started learning from the beginning but didn't.

And are there any charts I can look at or or where would be the best place to go it's to go and where are the best video. 

• Cool 2

[PNP]
Members
558 posts
6,643 battles

The WoWs Youtube channel has a playlist of videos of their 'how it works' series. Its pretty well put together and most of the info is still relevant. Here is a good one about spotting that is a must to know if you want to win games.

• Cool 2

[SCRUM]
Members
440 posts
13,147 battles

The mechanics of this game is a rabbit hole of detail.  I'm using an iterative approach to learning these details by paying attention to where my ignorance is failing me when it matters. If it bites me: I figure out how to bite back.  I'm currently revisiting the armor and shell penetration information since I've gotten the hang of damage control, torpedo dodging and aircraft shooting.  I'm in the right place at the right time aiming at the right ship but not blapping it to smithereens.

Transitioning from playing BBs to cruisers and DDs has highlighted my ignorance of detection, using smoke, and torpedos.  When I get back to playing CVs all these game mechanics need reviewing again from that perspective.

The videos that are helping me currently are those by flambas, trenlas, flamu, and clydeplays.  Of course, there is mighty jingles to start the day.

LittleWhiteMouse produces tomes of info on this forum and in the wiki. I'm assuming you are aware of wiki.

This is helpful to follow your statistics 
https://na.wows-numbers.com/

I haven't started exploring this resource yet, but it looks promising.
https://shiptool.st/filter?g=&ty=&n=&tn=1&tx=10&c=top

• Cool 2

[DCMA]
Members
275 posts
5,873 battles
2 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

The mechanics of this game is a rabbit hole of detail.  I'm using an iterative approach to learning these details by paying attention to where my ignorance is failing me when it matters. If it bites me: I figure out how to bite back.  I'm currently revisiting the armor and shell penetration information since I've gotten the hang of damage control, torpedo dodging and aircraft shooting.  I'm in the right place at the right time aiming at the right ship but not blapping it to smithereens.

Transitioning from playing BBs to cruisers and DDs has highlighted my ignorance of detection, using smoke, and torpedos.  When I get back to playing CVs all these game mechanics need reviewing again from that perspective.

The videos that are helping me currently are those by flambas, trenlas, flamu, and clydeplays.  Of course, there is mighty jingles to start the day.

LittleWhiteMouse produces tomes of info on this forum and in the wiki. I'm assuming you are aware of wiki.

This is helpful to follow your statistics 
https://na.wows-numbers.com/

I haven't started exploring this resource yet, but it looks promising.
https://shiptool.st/filter?g=&ty=&n=&tn=1&tx=10&c=top

Wows numbers I get some of but not what it's telling me to improve hate to say this but I am not the brightest light bulb in the bunch, just need a little show an f tell.

Members
191 posts
9,847 battles

I learned a lot from watching Potato Quality 

It's not really the technicals, or numbers, but rather from observing how a skilled player makes decisions.

Ahskance is another player I learned from, he teaches mostly carriers, but also teaches how to defeat carriers.

hope this was helpful to ya :cap_like:

• Cool 2

[F4E]
Members
605 posts
10,548 battles
9 minutes ago, grumpy_ole_man said:

Wows numbers I get some of but not what it's telling me to improve hate to say this but I am not the brightest light bulb in the bunch, just need a little show an f tell.

HI Grumpy, I'll try to deduce some information from your stats and try to translate that into areas of your game you may want to look at or focus on, and how to do that.

I'm seeing a CA/BB main with little experience in DD or CV.  Your average tier of 7.2 means you are seeing reasonable competition and you're not just facing low tier opponents.  Good amount of games in the 8-10 spread.  However, your efficiency drops off at the higher tiers which tells me you are struggling at this type of gameplay.  (I'll get into "that type of game play later).

I'm also seeing a below average player, with below average marksmanship, who is fairly stagnant as far as growth (or decline) is concerned.  You have great survivability, but few dreadnoughts.  You are also better statistically with BB's over CA's.

My assumptions based on these observations:

- You are playing a fairly passive playstyle, more towards the back sniper role.  Often this isolates you and you become the focus of enemy CV's more than your fair share, and you have trouble dictating caps or erasing enemy CA's.  Your damage numbers are still relatively good which is (probably) a product of your great survivability and probably because you often shoot at enemy BB's (the targets you are most comfortable trying to hit) rather than DD's/CA's.  Unfortunately, that often means you often do "okay", you are not bullying caps, nor are you a strong support for your DD who needs the enemy CA's deleted, mostly because you are too far away to be truly effectual at pushing out enemy DD/CA from the cap area.

Areas I would look to improve if I were you:

1.  Go watch Potato Quality (and other videos!!) on marksmanship.  You should be able to put round on target, first volley, a very high percent of the time.  Active maneuvering while sometimes make those shots miss, but a target without speed/course changes, etc, should be smacked first shot.

2.  Practice your marksmanship in the Des Moines, NOT a BB (and use broadside, don't hold down the LMB).  Simply put, a DM is going to put 6 broadsides in the air for every 1 a BB will.  DM has floaty shells as well.  It's sooo much better bang for your buck timewise to improve.

Map positioning is probably the biggest area you need to improve though.  You need to maintain your survivability, but get a lot closer to the action.  To me, this is T10 gameplay.  People call it stagnant and boring.  I think it punishes the bow in full speed ahead people.  The guns, accuracy, and higher skill at T10 is unforgiving.  Push when you should retreat = dead.  Get stuck bow in reserving = often dead.  Too far back and timid = ineffectual.

3.  So, Learn how to kite. (in CA's AND! BB's).

4.  Learn the optimal engagement ranges for your ships. (good rule of thumb is roughly your concealment range or closer to a ship of same type.)

5.  Learn to back into CAP areas (not the cap itself..) so that you can ALWAYS maintain the engagement distance and you can always full speed ahead to regain concealment if needed.

6.  ALWAYS play your cap area.  Don't sail across the map to another area.  If you are outnumbered, you retreat and kite and maintain pressure on them so they can't readily go get broadsides on the rest of your team.  If you outnumber them (and only when you determine this), turn the ship around and push cautiously.

Good luck!  PM me if you need more details.

• Cool 2

[DCMA]
Members
275 posts
5,873 battles
20 minutes ago, Glamorboy said:

HI Grumpy, I'll try to deduce some information from your stats and try to translate that into areas of your game you may want to look at or focus on, and how to do that.

I'm seeing a CA/BB main with little experience in DD or CV.  Your average tier of 7.2 means you are seeing reasonable competition and you're not just facing low tier opponents.  Good amount of games in the 8-10 spread.  However, your efficiency drops off at the higher tiers which tells me you are struggling at this type of gameplay.  (I'll get into "that type of game play later).

I'm also seeing a below average player, with below average marksmanship, who is fairly stagnant as far as growth (or decline) is concerned.  You have great survivability, but few dreadnoughts.  You are also better statistically with BB's over CA's.

My assumptions based on these observations:

- You are playing a fairly passive playstyle, more towards the back sniper role.  Often this isolates you and you become the focus of enemy CV's more than your fair share, and you have trouble dictating caps or erasing enemy CA's.  Your damage numbers are still relatively good which is (probably) a product of your great survivability and probably because you often shoot at enemy BB's (the targets you are most comfortable trying to hit) rather than DD's/CA's.  Unfortunately, that often means you often do "okay", you are not bullying caps, nor are you a strong support for your DD who needs the enemy CA's deleted, mostly because you are too far away to be truly effectual at pushing out enemy DD/CA from the cap area.

Areas I would look to improve if I were you:

1.  Go watch Potato Quality (and other videos!!) on marksmanship.  You should be able to put round on target, first volley, a very high percent of the time.  Active maneuvering while sometimes make those shots miss, but a target without speed/course changes, etc, should be smacked first shot.

2.  Practice your marksmanship in the Des Moines, NOT a BB (and use broadside, don't hold down the LMB).  Simply put, a DM is going to put 6 broadsides in the air for every 1 a BB will.  DM has floaty shells as well.  It's sooo much better bang for your buck timewise to improve.

Map positioning is probably the biggest area you need to improve though.  You need to maintain your survivability, but get a lot closer to the action.  To me, this is T10 gameplay.  People call it stagnant and boring.  I think it punishes the bow in full speed ahead people.  The guns, accuracy, and higher skill at T10 is unforgiving.  Push when you should retreat = dead.  Get stuck bow in reserving = often dead.  Too far back and timid = ineffectual.

3.  So, Learn how to kite. (in CA's AND! BB's).

4.  Learn the optimal engagement ranges for your ships. (good rule of thumb is roughly your concealment range or closer to a ship of same type.)

5.  Learn to back into CAP areas (not the cap itself..) so that you can ALWAYS maintain the engagement distance and you can always full speed ahead to regain concealment if needed.

6.  ALWAYS play your cap area.  Don't sail across the map to another area.  If you are outnumbered, you retreat and kite and maintain pressure on them so they can't readily go get broadsides on the rest of your team.  If you outnumber them (and only when you determine this), turn the ship around and push cautiously.

Good luck!  PM me if you need more details.

Thank you for this  this well help me I ut a lot just wish. I knew how to read it and know where what I need to do to improve like you did again thank you

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Members
1,793 posts
18,041 battles
14 hours ago, grumpy_ole_man said:

In order to improve in this game what are the mechanics I need to start learning In order to improve.

Yeah this is something I should have started learning from the beginning but didn't.

And are there any charts I can look at or or where would be the best place to go it's to go and where are the best video. 

Watch all videos of that "how it works", people already posted here, trust them, it's very good to watch, official videos.
Then, watch videos of famous good players and streamers.
Yuro (fun to watch and teaches in the videos "how to [ship name]".
Potato Quality (shows his games, comments on what he is doing and why)

[PNP]
Members
558 posts
6,643 battles
17 hours ago, grumpy_ole_man said:

I forgot to mention earlier that you can upload game replays here on the forum. I think there a dedicated section here on the forum but not sure if it exists. Just ask for feedback with a replay file and armchair admirals will flock to you. 

• Cool 1

[DCMA]
Members
275 posts
5,873 battles
6 hours ago, RighteousRhyno said:

I forgot to mention earlier that you can upload game replays here on the forum. I think there a dedicated section here on the forum but not sure if it exists. Just ask for feedback with a replay file and armchair admirals will flock to you. 

No kidding I did not know that  would you or someone of the link for that oh thought there was a certain place 

Edited by grumpy_ole_man
  • Cool 1