Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Alice__Margatroid

Balanced and historical, either or neither?

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

26
[ALICE]
[ALICE]
Members
15 posts
11,446 battles

Weeks ago I sent a rather impolite ticket complaining about magic acoustic torpedo and quit the game. Recently I‘m calm down and start to figure out what made me that mad. 

Honestly, apart from subs and CVs, the game is getting more balanced. No more Musashi, Smolensk or Thunderer. Popular old ships are buffed precisely. Nevertheless, I‘m really suspicious that this game is taken over by someone who dont understand naval culture. Maybe just dont care though.  

Take Italian BB for example, Veneto shares the same model with Roma, which is not true. SAP can be a in-game feature, but far from the historical main battery build. Another strange feature is Dutch cruiser, wasting whole RNLAF in 20 minutes and has nothing to do with countering Japanese CA, which was  originally designed in history. I do agree the bombs with parachutes are epic, and it do work occasionally. But all above are pure game feature, making this game more like a MOBA.

And here we are today. I'm not a sub hater, I can still remember when I was a child, my dad, who also play WOWS now, told me how to be a terrific underwater assassin in Silent Hunter. I‘m OK with new things in this game, even not that balance. I really like CV rework because original one was too hard and, most importantly, not cool at all. I really expect Subs can be more historical. The developers should  understand why people play this game. They want balance assuredly, but balance is not everything. Especially when you messed up both, there's no point to stay.

Now I‘m back in blonde rank battle. Man, I can tell you, watching 14 historical ships floating without magic just feel perfect.

Edited by Alice__Margatroid
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles

Half the forums owe the other half a twenty-dollar bill on account of the bet. The British players want it in Pounds, the Euro players hiding here want it in Eros (That is not a typo), Former SEA players were making side bets on who was betting because that would be better than aiding and abetting. 

The New Zealand players were too busy playing and didn't notice. The Aussies made a head call due to Vegemite and were too busy deodorizing the restroom, so they missed it entirely. But the Aussies would have wanted to bet at least an Aussie dollar or two just to see who gets mad first. 

The French are too busy with Nutella and springtime lust. They don't have time for drama since French women are out on the streets wearing nice things. French mating season..if only every country had one.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
4 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

 The Aussies made a head call due to Vegemite and were too busy deodorizing the restroom, so they missed it entirely. But the Aussies would have wanted to bet at least an Aussie dollar or two just to see who gets mad first.

Well you know how much us Aussies love beer right?

Vegemite was invented in Melbourne in 1923 when an Australian food manufacturer requested a product similar to British Marmite. This spread made from brewer’s yeast became a distinctively ‘Australian food’

It's only natural that we would...... not only drink beer.... but eat it aswell!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
23 minutes ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Now I‘m back in blonde rank battle. Man, I can tell you, watching 14 historical ships floating without magic just feel perfect.

yup i like the vanilla game aswell.. not sure how im feeling about the American ship coming out with SAP on it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,301
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
2 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Maybe just dont care though.  

This pretty much.

WG is focused first and foremost as running the game as a business, which means thinking about game features in terms of what will appeal to the largest number of players, and drawing on trends in the larger industry that may have little relation to the themes of the game. They are not restricted by a creative vision or a passion for naval history. That element of the game is at best a convenient flavoring, to give it an ostensibly unique niche compared to other games in the space.

Edited by SuperSSL
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles
1 hour ago, Retarie said:

Well you know how much us Aussies love beer right?

Vegemite was invented in Melbourne in 1923 when an Australian food manufacturer requested a product similar to British Marmite. This spread made from brewer’s yeast became a distinctively ‘Australian food’

It's only natural that we would...... not only drink beer.... but eat it aswell!

Yeah, yeah, but that smell could choke a donkey. 

I dare you to drink IPA and then say you like beer. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,156
[WOLFG]
Members
17,115 posts
20,488 battles
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

 

I dare you to drink IPA and then say you like beer. LOL

I drink IPA and I like beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,848
[TDRB]
Members
7,355 posts
16,186 battles
3 hours ago, SuperSSL said:

This pretty much.

WG is focused first and foremost as running the game as a business, which means thinking about game features in terms of what will appeal to the largest number of players, and drawing on trends in the larger industry that may have little relation to the themes of the game. They are not restricted by a creative vision or a passion for naval history. That element of the game is at best a convenient flavoring, to give it an ostensibly unique niche compared to other games in the space.

I agree, WG is running the game as a business. History is a pixel ship with a resemblance to the ship it is named after and a marketing ploy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,552
[X-PN]
Members
3,836 posts
17,720 battles
4 hours ago, SuperSSL said:

This pretty much.

WG is focused first and foremost as running the game as a business, which means thinking about game features in terms of what will appeal to the largest number of players, and drawing on trends in the larger industry that may have little relation to the themes of the game. They are not restricted by a creative vision or a passion for naval history. That element of the game is at best a convenient flavoring, to give it an ostensibly unique niche compared to other games in the space.

Probably true... but it IS a niche game.... in their efforts to appeal to the broad masses do they just alienate their current niche customers?  Do they even know what the broad audience wants?  I wonder how much market research, using accepted market research methodology, does WG perform to maximize their current customers and appeal to new ones? 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I drink IPA and I like beer.

Well, most reptiles have a strange palette. I know you will eye a fly like it is a snack in the sky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
548 posts
10,683 battles
11 hours ago, Retarie said:

yup i like the vanilla game aswell.. not sure how im feeling about the American ship coming out with SAP on it though.

I don't like the idea of an American ship having SAP rounds, that's an Italian ship thing, if you gonna go down the "gimmick" route then stick to the different nationalities, British get fire chance, Italians get SAP rounds, Germans get good secondaries etc., personally i hate ships like Georgia, Massachusetts and G. Verdi, their American and Italian, their not supposed to have good secondaries.

  • Cool 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,301
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
9 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

Probably true... but it IS a niche game.... in their efforts to appeal to the broad masses do they just alienate their current niche customers?  Do they even know what the broad audience wants?  I wonder how much market research, using accepted market research methodology, does WG perform to maximize their current customers and appeal to new ones? 

Probably more than they should. This game is never going to be "the" game; the appeal is the theme, which is unlikely to be one with universal appeal. As such, trying to cram in everything to make the game bigger is not going to be good for the quality of the game in the long run.

The success of a game like Elden Ring proves that a game doesn't need to adhere to accepted industry conventions, aimed at the lowest common denominator. People are drawn to games with a unique identity and distinctive vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,599
[CAAT]
Members
6,259 posts
8,033 battles
Quote

Balanced and historical, either or neither?

...Do underperforming historical ships count as "balanced"? If so, yes and yes!

16 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Popular old ships are buffed precisely.

ALMOST all popular old ships....

sailor-moon-sad.gif.3a0918677bc04c1f3fe4049074f35d92.gif

16 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

I really expect Subs can be more historical. The developers should  understand why people play this game. They want balance assuredly, but balance is not everything. Especially when you messed up both, there's no point to stay.

All of this! <3 Especially the bolded stuff.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I like a bit of historicity with my games because it makes them more interesting to me. Sure, plain oatmeal made with only tap water will fill you up and is nutritious. However, add a pinch of salt, some sugar and cream, and a garnish of blueberries and you will enjoy eating it a lot more.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
7 hours ago, Acme1970 said:

I don't like the idea of an American ship having SAP rounds, that's an Italian ship thing, if you gonna go down the "gimmick" route then stick to the different nationalities, British get fire chance, Italians get SAP rounds, Germans get good secondaries etc., personally i hate ships like Georgia, Massachusetts and G. Verdi, their American and Italian, their not supposed to have good secondaries.

yeah it does sorta muddy the waters, would have been nice if the distinctions were kept clear.

I find with a DD hunter you want the chance to be-able to start fires and increase their dect range... not having HE on a Atlanta type is really weird.

the US ships gimmick was their High AA, but since that was removed/reduced i think wows might be struggling to find something special for em. Been a few years already on that front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,599
[CAAT]
Members
6,259 posts
8,033 battles
1 minute ago, Retarie said:

the US ships gimmick was their High AA, but since that was removed/reduced i think wows might be struggling to find something special for em. Been a few years already on that front.

Yep, NOW their gimmick seems to be slower reloads, if the splitline BBs are any indication....which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Also, up to Colorado, they are pretty darn slow (Standard Type). USN tech tree ships need SOMETHING interesting....They seem too much like they're "Jack of All Trades, Master of None", so to speak.

7 hours ago, Acme1970 said:

personally i hate ships like Georgia, Massachusetts and G. Verdi, their American and Italian, their not supposed to have good secondaries.

I respectfully disagree, Germans have their tech tree of secondary brawlers (technically, TWO tech trees!). USN and Italy can have a few random secondary brawlers (that have less pen but more accuracy)....it's not like Italian tech tree BBs have SAP secondaries anyways. Also, it's not like USN tech tree BBs have accurate secondaries. So a little splash of various national flavors per nation is perfectly fine and adds to build and ship diversity too. More options for more ships for more nations is good!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
9 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Yep, NOW their gimmick seems to be slower reloads, if the splitline BBs are any indication....which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. Also, up to Colorado, they are pretty darn slow (Standard Type). USN tech tree ships need SOMETHING interesting....They seem too much like they're "Jack of All Trades, Master of None", so to speak.

speaking to the converted here :cap_like:

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,599
[CAAT]
Members
6,259 posts
8,033 battles
32 minutes ago, Retarie said:

speaking to the converted here :cap_like:

 

How converted?

tumblr_oy6ysi8Y6k1w9r7iao6_250.gif.50501b371b6c1b536f7ef6ebd0182e51.gif

;P

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
857
[SOUS]
Members
768 posts
6,624 battles
20 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

Weeks ago I sent a rather impolite ticket complaining about magic acoustic torpedo and quit the game. Recently I‘m calm down and start to figure out what made me that mad. 

Honestly, apart from subs and CVs, the game is getting more balanced. No more Musashi, Smolensk or Thunderer. Popular old ships are buffed precisely. Nevertheless, I‘m really suspicious that this game is taken over by someone who dont understand naval culture. Maybe just dont care though.  

Take Italian BB for example, Veneto shares the same model with Roma, which is not true. SAP can be a in-game feature, but far from the historical main battery build. Another strange feature is Dutch cruiser, wasting whole RNLAF in 20 minutes and has nothing to do with countering Japanese CA, which was  originally designed in history. I do agree the bombs with parachutes are epic, and it do work occasionally. But all above are pure game feature, making this game more like a MOBA.

And here we are today. I'm not a sub hater, I can still remember when I was a child, my dad, who also play WOWS now, told me how to be a terrific underwater assassin in Silent Hunter. I‘m OK with new things in this game, even not that balance. I really like CV rework because original one was too hard and, most importantly, not cool at all. I really expect Subs can be more historical. The developers should  understand why people play this game. They want balance assuredly, but balance is not everything. Especially when you messed up both, there's no point to stay.

Now I‘m back in blonde rank battle. Man, I can tell you, watching 14 historical ships floating without magic just feel perfect.

This game isn't a simulator, it's an arcade game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
22 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

How converted?

tumblr_oy6ysi8Y6k1w9r7iao6_250.gif.50501b371b6c1b536f7ef6ebd0182e51.gif

;P

Not enough to stop playing in protest. But i am defiantly in the LWM political party and will attend rally's in support :Smile_honoring:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,599
[CAAT]
Members
6,259 posts
8,033 battles
18 minutes ago, Retarie said:

Not enough to stop playing in protest. But i am defiantly in the LWM political party and will attend rally's in support :Smile_honoring:

Well, when it comes to the point that you have to stop playing in protest, then whatever it is, it's probably gone too far XD

Not too sure LWM has a political party though. That said, I support Mouse 100% because she knows what's she's talking about.  ~-~°(◠.◠)°v~-~

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
206
[P_P]
Members
500 posts
15 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Not too sure LWM has a political party though. That said, I support Mouse 100% because she knows what's she's talking about.  ~-~°(◠.◠)°v~-~

heh i was trying to be dramatic... guess i should have taken those drama classes :Smile_sceptic:

edit - but yeah, i agree with your statement.

Edited by Retarie
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
9 hours ago, Acme1970 said:

British get fire chance,

Ok...how do you set fires with HMS Minotaur?

21 hours ago, Alice__Margatroid said:

I can still remember when I was a child, my dad, who also play WOWS now, told me how to be a terrific underwater assassin in Silent Hunter.

coughcoughZaunkoenigcough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 3:17 AM, Retarie said:

yup i like the vanilla game aswell.. not sure how im feeling about the American ship coming out with SAP on it though.

The story behind why that ship has SAP is a funny one.

It goes like this WG: "Which one of you Super Testers wants to test AP, HE, and SAP on this ship? We need good data, now. So, no weird stuff."

Super Tester Cross-eyed Dolphin: "I can do it!"

Super Tester Always Farting Finnish Guy, or AWFUL for short: "Leave it to me. I can dew it. It not as hard as dodging CVs and I shake me fists and go: Ferny! Ferny! Mother-Ferny!"

WG: "Isn't that Swedish?"

Other WG Dev: "It is, but we will use these two. They can't hit the broad side of Stalin's Outhouse even if they were using it and found Stalin still inside."

WG: "Well, if we don't get good results, we use SAP as default. Most players don't like to AP anyway."

Super Tester Cross-eyed Dolphin: "I just ran into wall. Anybody know where door is?"

Awful: "I saw it over there next to that picture of a CV..Ferny! Ferny! Mother-Ferny!" *Knocks down picture of Midway.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165
[386LV]
Members
117 posts
13,570 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 12:52 AM, Alice__Margatroid said:

making this game more like a MOBA

Not even MOBA. This game is an arcade at most. 

The gameplay can never be historically or realistically accurate, but at least we can appreciate the nice 3D modelling of both actual and paper ships. Have you ever wanted a remote control toy ship that can shoot its guns? To me, the game is just like that, but so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×