You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

Next ranked season and saving stars....

36 comments in this topic

[X-PN]
Members
3,841 posts
17,722 battles

I'll miss the diversity in tiers of the current season but T8 and T9 are good tiers.

However, I dont know about the saving star changes.  I know some folks will be happy with Gold not having it but it will make it harder to rank out.  You will be at the complete mercy of the Matchmaker.  Basically, it means it will take more games to rank out there.

I do think some changes were needed.  But maybe some thing like if you are in the top 6 places, you dont lose a star.  

[ARR0W]
Members
6,148 posts
32,910 battles

I guess its dependent on what you see as the purpose of Ranked. 

If its to give everyone a chance to rank out by doing a grind event, more generous criteria to save a star facilitate this. If its to have a "sort of" individual competitive mode, some have proposed none to a very few irrevocable ranks, and absolutely no saving stars. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

The devblog said the number of stars was being adjusted accounting for the changes. Probably means Gold stars are shortened and Bronze lenghtened. 

Looks like the intention is to promote Gold participation, maybe the numbers had been very low.

[N0KAP]
Members
48 posts
11,729 battles
42 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I'll miss the diversity in tiers of the current season but T8 and T9 are good tiers.

However, I dont know about the saving star changes.  I know some folks will be happy with Gold not having it but it will make it harder to rank out.  You will be at the complete mercy of the Matchmaker.  Basically, it means it will take more games to rank out there.

I do think some changes were needed.  But maybe some thing like if you are in the top 6 places, you dont lose a star.  

I think these changes will be good. Itll force those in gold to play to win rather than save a star mentality. and it should keep players who spam battle button from getting up there as they have zero chance to save a star in the qualifiers. 

• Boring 1

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
5,165 posts
15,884 battles
52 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

do think some changes were needed.  But maybe some thing like if you are in the top 6 places, you dont lose a star.  

The Save a star mechanic ruined ranked all together. The mechanic opens too many doors for working against your team. Team looses, you should loose. It Also take your attention away from the enemy and imposes it upon your friendies: disgusting.

• Boring 1

[X-PN]
Members
3,841 posts
17,722 battles
14 minutes ago, Apetron said:

I think these changes will be good. Itll force those in gold to play to win rather than save a star mentality. and it should keep players who spam battle button from getting up there as they have zero chance to save a star in the qualifiers. 

Star saving mechanics can incentivize some odd play sometimes, so I would normally agree if teams were matched more evenly.  But they aren't.  Especially in Bronze or Silver you get an All-Pro Tater team and the other side has multiple typhoon clan players... you ain't winning that.

But I don't think this will do a thing to prevent players would have no business being in gold from getting there.... Those players almost never save a star anyway.

What if there was a minimum amount of contribution needed to get a star even if on winning team?

Edited by YouSatInGum

[SALV0]
Members
584 posts
2,566 battles
Just now, Crokodone said:

The Save a star mechanic ruined ranked all together. The mechanic opens too many doors for working against your team. Team looses, you should loose. It Also take your attention away from the enemy and imposes it upon your friendies: disgusting.

Not really it actually helped out because it forced people that take a glance at the MM monitor and realize they're not gonna win with the team WG gives them to play.

Now why even try if your team's not going to. Just hurry up and die so you can move to the next game and hopefully get a better team set up.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[X-PN]
Members
3,841 posts
17,722 battles
2 minutes ago, goldenpollywog said:

Not really it actually helped out because it forced people that take a glance at the MM monitor and realize they're not gonna win with the team WG gives them to play.

Now why even try if your team's not going to. Just hurry up and die so you can move to the next game and hopefully get a better team set up.

If you are just clubbing steel then yes....   if you are playing to win.... then not so much.  In fact the saving star mechanic motivates to continue to play well even if it's a presumed loss.  If there is no star saving, then there really is no motivation once a loss appears imminent.... so might as well die and save time.

[BONKZ]
Privateers
8,023 posts
21,296 battles

The problem is that those who spam battles and fail their way to gold via star saving are still stuck in gold making games miserable for their team mates

But whatever, ranked isn't considered competitive or skill identifying anyways. It's just a grind event for most players. I don't feel challenged by it at all. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
6,718 battles

The real reason to play ranked is to get the rewards for winning anyways. Star saving is more or less meaningless, AFAIK you can't fall from a league anyways.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles

My only fear is that by easing Bronze progression Silver quality gets degraded over time. At this time of the season most failhards have already spammed their way into Gold, making Silver very enjoyable, I actually had a blast playing Ranked this weekend, decent team quality all around. This change likely will be opening the door to guys stuck in Bronze, who knows how that will impact Silver. I guess one could move up to Gold and farm there but my experience with the Gold environment is not enticing... too much salty tryhard/failhard players there. The best thing about Silver is the more relaxed, chill environment. If that changes I will miss it. 

[X-PN]
Members
3,841 posts
17,722 battles
13 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

The problem is that those who spam battles and fail their way to gold via star saving are still stuck in gold making games miserable for their team mates

But whatever, ranked isn't considered competitive or skill identifying anyways. It's just a grind event for most players. I don't feel challenged by it at all. 

It's rare such a player to save a star.  Usually they just spam enough games until they finally hit a string of games with enough good teammates for them to get carried into a higher league.  I will saying it's definitely frustrating to see a 44% player in gold, but I don't see how this change does a thing to mitigate that.

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,579 posts

My concern is the sprints being reduced to 4 and 2 weeks long each.  I hope the steel rewards are adjusted to match what they usually are and not just reduced overall.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

So looking at this..

• Bronze league — the stars are retained by the first two places by experience on a battle’s losing team;
  • In Silver — only the first place;
  • In Gold — stars cannot be saved upon defeat.

1: Saving a star in gold Does not matter. This is better for the system overall.

2: Silver is same as now.. no change.

3: First 2 save a star.. This will greatly shorten Bronze for Average - Above average players is all, its a push to get people out of Bronze fast.

Overall..   Meh

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
10 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

I will saying it's definitely frustrating to see a 44% player in gold, but I don't see how this change does a thing to mitigate that.

it doesn't. 

IMO this is only helpful to give a leg up to players stuck in Bronze (can lead to Silver degradation) and maybe prevent some cases of "star saving syndrome" in Gold, but I'm not really updated with this season Gold meta to get the particulars for this. 

9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

My concern is the sprints being reduced to 4 and 2 weeks long each.  I hope the steel rewards are adjusted to match what they usually are and not just reduced overall.

Sprints are already 2 weeks long, nothing changes there. As for being reduced to 4 it is hardly significant in terms of rewards as is a given the next Ranked season will follow up, and next, and a next... so the overall bi-weekly income remains a constant. This is probably a move to increase variety by increasing the season Frequency. 

[SLI]
10,579 posts
26 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Sprints are already 2 weeks long, nothing changes there. As for being reduced to 4 it is hardly significant in terms of rewards as is a given the next Ranked season will follow up, and next, and a next... so the overall bi-weekly income remains a constant. This is probably a move to increase variety by increasing the season Frequency. 

It is significant though, unless I am missing something.  There are currently 6 sprints.  If you get into silver on week 1 and you stay there, and if the rewards are not adjusted, 4 sprints will mean 1,600 less steel for the season.  That's a 33% loss of rewards.

They very well could be planning on adjusting the rewards so that it matches up and this concern is unfounded, but they haven't said one way or the other.

[SLI]
10,579 posts
Just now, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

So where are these changes to ranked posted?  It's not on the WoWS news page.

It's not news yet because it is dev blog.  Development blogs are "might happen", not "will happen".

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/314

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is significant though, unless I am missing something.  There are currently 6 sprints.  If you get into silver on week 1 and you stay there, and if the rewards are not adjusted, 4 sprints will mean 1,600 less steel per season.  That's a 33% loss of rewards.

They very well could be planning in adjusting the rewards so that it matches up and this concern is unfounded, but they haven't said one way or the other.

It doesn't matter if it is 4 or 6 sprints long, after those 4 sprints another Season will come to fill the gap. We'll still be farming those 2 "missing" weeks, they'll just belong in another Season. 

[SLI]
10,579 posts
20 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

It doesn't matter if it is 4 or 6 sprints long, after those 4 sprints another Season will come to fill the gap. We'll still be farming those 2 "missing" weeks, they'll just belong in another Season. 

There are gaps between seasons.  One doesn't start the same day that another ends.  The more "seasons" there are in a year, the more gaps there are, in which no steel can be earned.

[SALVO]
Members
16,461 posts
10,200 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

There are gaps between seasons.  One doesn't start the same day that another ends.  The more "seasons" there are in a year, the more gaps there are, in which no steel can not be earned.

My memory is feeble but I have the idea the gaps are rather short, if there's some week lost I guess it is lost... I doubt they'll upscale rewards as they are already juicy.