Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Konception

4/19/22 - New Player Captain’s Log: New Boat, Who Dis?

12 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

617
[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
419 posts
578 battles

Greetings Captains, 

Welcome to this week’s edition of the New Player Captain's Log! For those of you who aren't sure what this is or what it might do, feel free to check out the introductory post here.

Without further ado, let’s proceed with Week 12!

Accomplishments
Here’s a list of personal milestones that I hit during the week:

1. Played games with @Maredraco and @Legionnare on Wednesday’s stream discussing the New Player Experience
2. Advanced the German BB line up to Tier 6
3. Introduced myself to the Italian and British lines for a few matches each

Focus Points of the Week
As this was a catch-up week from my time off, I didn’t have a lot of time to spend exploring new things, but here was what I was able to pay attention to this week:

1. Mid-tier play: What does my performance look like in the Tier 5 and 6 range as opposed to 1-4?
2. Exploration of new lines that I had no experience with (namely Italian and British, low tiers).

Community Stream - New Player Experience
This past Wednesday (the day before the patch in the NA server), I was on the official World of Warships Twitch channel with Maredraco and Legionnare. We discussed various aspects of the new player experience in WoWs (this project included :fish_cute_2:) while playing some low and mid tier games. We had a great time cracking jokes and discussing and showcasing what lower tier play looks like! I will say that I am glad my gameplay wasn’t featured (I was just in Discord with them, my screen wasn’t displayed) as I DEFINITELY still have a lot to learn. However, this kind of thing is something I hope we can continue in the future, because I think it sheds light on what could be considered an underrepresented section of ships and players. 

Mid-Tier Play - German BBs
Ships: Kaiser, Konig, Bayern

I spent most of my playtime this week continuing on with the German BB line. I started the week out on Tier 4 and got up to Tier 6 in just a few matches. Overall, Tier 6 seems to be the top of my skill level, I would say. I notice if I queue in Tier 7 or above that my effectiveness goes down and I am often not contributing in ways that satisfy my team members. My plan is to continue to hover in these tiers (perhaps moving to other lines as well) until I start feeling comfortable in my play to move up to Tiers 7-8 and then repeat the process. As for things to work on, I am still finding difficulty in finding the best positioning. I am still finding that I am often either too far away to make an impact or too far into the thick of things to survive. I am hoping something clicks soon. 

Low-Tier Play - Italian and British Cruisers
Ships: Eritrea, Nino Bixio, Black Swan, Weymouth

In between matches where I was waiting for my German BBs to come back to me, I decided to dabble in a few other lines based on a suggestion from @platterman . Now I will admit that I did misremember and thought they said the British line as opposed to what they actually said, which was the French line (sorry about that! I’ll check out the French line soon, lol). I only played a few matches in each line, just enough to get into Tier 2, so I don’t have too much to comment on yet. What I will say is that there is something a bit freeing about playing low tiers. Ship lines don’t really begin to distinguish themselves yet, which I think is both a positive and a negative for the same reason: it puts everyone on a somewhat equal playing field. I can definitely say that I really enjoy cruiser play the most in the lower tiers as well, as I still struggle massively with finding my footing in a cruiser even as low as Tier 5 or 6. I am excited to see how these lines evolve and how I feel about their relations to other lines that I have more experience in. 


I think that about covers it this week! I want to remind everyone that the New Player Captain’s Log is also designed to be a place for new players to reply with their experiences or seek advice as well.

See you next week for some more New Player musings. Fair winds and following seas! :cap_horn:
 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,261
[SALVO]
Members
16,411 posts
10,178 battles
2 hours ago, Konception said:

My plan is to continue to hover in these tiers (perhaps moving to other lines as well) until I start feeling comfortable in my play to move up to Tiers 7-8 and then repeat the process.

This is the way

Now, if you want the true and hardcore ArIskandirian way you grind the full tier, every line, one tier at a time. That's the more thorough way to get deep knowledge of the tier you'll be playing, to experience first hand all the different lines, their playstyles and quirks, the maps and metas you'll be playing. This you should do at least up to tier 6 so you build a base of knowledge as wide as possible. 

I know it is kinda hardcore, so if you prefer take the easier path and select 2-3 lines of every ship type and start from there. 

Cheers

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
419 posts
578 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Now, if you want the true and hardcore ArIskandirian way you grind the full tier, every line, one tier at a time. That's the more thorough way to get deep knowledge of the tier you'll be playing, to experience first hand all the different lines, their playstyles and quirks, the maps and metas you'll be playing. This you should do at least up to tier 6 so you build a base of knowledge as wide as possible. 

I have no choice but to admire the sheer dedication this takes lol. Well done! I personally like the idea of doing maybe 2 tiers at a time in a given line just so I can better get a grasp of that line's flavor, but I definitely can see how this strategy must make you a very well-rounded player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[NGA-A]
Volunteer Moderator
332 posts
9,609 battles

I came back to the Bayern and found that it's a bit of a monster if it gets in brawling range: it's the first set of 15" in the German line. As discussed in chat, I think you'd find the Graf Spee (Premium) a lot of fun to play since it's a cruiser with BB guns. Unfortunately I don't think it is readily available anymore.

The lower tier French cruisers are interesting to play - tankier than the German line (which has light armour to tier 8). You may find playing the US cruisers and their focus on guns is more "battleship-like" and helps get you into the right frame of mind for cruisers (and then DD's). I started as a BB main (because I could last out battles that way) and have largely shifted to DD's now. I'd suggest the French DD line because it teached you DD smoke without the "cloaking device" (smoke) and you can then work on smoke tactics either with the other DD lines or with British cruisers.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,261
[SALVO]
Members
16,411 posts
10,178 battles
3 minutes ago, Konception said:

I have no choice but to admire the sheer dedication this takes lol. Well done! I personally like the idea of doing maybe 2 tiers at a time in a given line just so I can better get a grasp of that line's flavor, but I definitely can see how this strategy must make you a very well-rounded player. 

Currently half way through T9, still pending a lot of purchases. If you wonder how much it takes: 3700 Random matches, 1300 Ranked matches, 3000 event & various PvE matches. Experience everything, play everything:Smile_teethhappy:

Now being serious, try at least a couple lines of every ship type, it is very important to have knowledge or what those pesky DDs or Cruisers can do to your BB. It will make you a better rounded BB player, if that's your poison. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
419 posts
578 battles
35 minutes ago, SureBridge said:

As discussed in chat, I think you'd find the Graf Spee (Premium) a lot of fun to play since it's a cruiser with BB guns. Unfortunately I don't think it is readily available anymore.

The way you described it to me, I could easily see the Graf Spee becoming a staple of mind. I will certainly have to see if I can get my hands on it in some way. :cap_hmm:

36 minutes ago, SureBridge said:

The lower tier French cruisers are interesting to play - tankier than the German line (which has light armour to tier 8). You may find playing the US cruisers and their focus on guns is more "battleship-like" and helps get you into the right frame of mind for cruisers (and then DD's).

Hmm this is very interesting. I started on the French line yesterday, and I am interested to see how it changes as I go up. I still see myself moving towards BBs, but maybe I should stick with cruisers and see if I can develop that skill set. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
244
[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
486 posts

One of the first lines I grinded was the UK cruiser line which... was a mistake because of the steep learning curve I had with the game mechanics that surrounded it. However, once I got the hang of them, it helped me a lot with learning destroyers as well. For instance, knowing the appropriate situations to use the smoke consumable. A lot of times I noticed a lot of beginner players (and at times even experienced players can turn a blind eye) deploy their smoke consumable and block out the line of sight for enemy ships. It's not great for you or your team since you can't see the ships you want to shoot at. Another mechanic that UK cruisers share strongly with destroyers is concealment. UK cruisers are usually one of the stealthiest cruisers at each tier, having low detection range and the ability to outspot a good amount of cruisers. This advantage allows you to decide whether to engage the enemy ship or not, depending on situation. Similarly, destroyers with good stealth would have to make similar decisions when they outspot an enemy DD. Are there any other ships that could potentially shoot me while I'm fighting this destroyer? Can I out-trade this destroyer based on my hitpoints and firepower? When playing UK cruisers, its good to develop a mindset where you plan where you go ahead of time, what ships you expect to meet along the way, what objectives are you trying to get at the time, etc... This helps a lot with learning destroyers as deciding what objectives to go for as well as being conscious of your surroundings is very important in UK cruisers. Technically, most ships follow a similar thought process of positioning and decision making but UK cruisers are more dependent on it to be effective because of their extreme fragility and good versatility.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
419 posts
578 battles
14 hours ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

One of the first lines I grinded was the UK cruiser line which... was a mistake because of the steep learning curve I had with the game mechanics that surrounded it. However, once I got the hang of them, it helped me a lot with learning destroyers as well. For instance, knowing the appropriate situations to use the smoke consumable. A lot of times I noticed a lot of beginner players (and at times even experienced players can turn a blind eye) deploy their smoke consumable and block out the line of sight for enemy ships. It's not great for you or your team since you can't see the ships you want to shoot at. Another mechanic that UK cruisers share strongly with destroyers is concealment. UK cruisers are usually one of the stealthiest cruisers at each tier, having low detection range and the ability to outspot a good amount of cruisers. This advantage allows you to decide whether to engage the enemy ship or not, depending on situation. Similarly, destroyers with good stealth would have to make similar decisions when they outspot an enemy DD. Are there any other ships that could potentially shoot me while I'm fighting this destroyer? Can I out-trade this destroyer based on my hitpoints and firepower? When playing UK cruisers, its good to develop a mindset where you plan where you go ahead of time, what ships you expect to meet along the way, what objectives are you trying to get at the time, etc... This helps a lot with learning destroyers as deciding what objectives to go for as well as being conscious of your surroundings is very important in UK cruisers. Technically, most ships follow a similar thought process of positioning and decision making but UK cruisers are more dependent on it to be effective because of their extreme fragility and good versatility.

This is really incredibly useful to know. DDs are by far my weakest point, and it sounds like it would certainly be beneficial to find "transition ships" that I could use to get used to the basics. When I am ready to take that on, I'll be thinking of this! Thank you!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,347 posts
3,059 battles
On 4/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, SureBridge said:

The lower tier French cruisers are interesting to play - tankier than the German line (which has light armour to tier 8)

I do wonder your reasoning for this(besides Jurien de la Graviere)as the French lack turtlebacks and I have no problem citadelling them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,347 posts
3,059 battles
On 4/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, Konception said:

DDs are by far my weakest point, and it sounds like it would certainly be beneficial to find "transition ships" that I could use to get used to the basics. When I am ready to take that on, I'll be thinking of this! Thank you!

I recommend USS Clemson & IJN Wakatake for that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[WKY02]
Members
30 posts
1,977 battles
On 4/19/2022 at 2:00 PM, Konception said:

Community Stream - New Player Experience
This past Wednesday (the day before the patch in the NA server), I was on the official World of Warships Twitch channel with Maredraco and Legionnare. We discussed various aspects of the new player experience in WoWs (this project included :fish_cute_2:) while playing some low and mid tier games. We had a great time cracking jokes and discussing and showcasing what lower tier play looks like! I will say that I am glad my gameplay wasn’t featured (I was just in Discord with them, my screen wasn’t displayed) as I DEFINITELY still have a lot to learn. However, this kind of thing is something I hope we can continue in the future, because I think it sheds light on what could be considered an underrepresented section of ships and players. 

This is a great point and something I believe in!  One thing I have noticed in both WoWS and WoT is the massive volume of really experienced, high tier game play content available compared to content that is geared towards assisting new players establish themselves in the game.  Learning to play is a step-by-step process that takes practice and the appropriate resources to guide each player along at each stage (or tier).  You cannot throw a university level calculus textbook to a 6th grader and say here is what you need to know!  😆

It is great to see you capturing your progress here Konception and I will definitely be utilizing it for the new players I encounter!  Great work!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
617
[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
419 posts
578 battles
33 minutes ago, Padres_Porch said:

This is a great point and something I believe in!  One thing I have noticed in both WoWS and WoT is the massive volume of really experienced, high tier game play content available compared to content that is geared towards assisting new players establish themselves in the game.  Learning to play is a step-by-step process that takes practice and the appropriate resources to guide each player along at each stage (or tier).  You cannot throw a university level calculus textbook to a 6th grader and say here is what you need to know!  😆

It is great to see you capturing your progress here Konception and I will definitely be utilizing it for the new players I encounter!  Great work!

This means a great deal to me, thank you! Fully agree on the step-by-step process as well, and I am glad these logs are at least a minimally useful resource!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×