Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kataclysms

Citadel help

11 comments in this topic

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles

I can only guess that you simply missed the citidel. Happens to me too. Other times I'll hit a ship aft (right on the butt) and citidel them.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,925 posts
23,637 battles

Mistress RNG slapped you right in the face with that big ol "NOPE!".

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles

Target was sailing on a slant from left to right away from you. So much so that some shells would hit water while others would bounce. Montana can stop a 16 inch shell and angled, can mitigate an 18 inch shell some. You were also sailing at him and your shell actually rises some with your relativistic speed closing distance. Monty was wide enough that adding your distance with the aim would make the dispersion sail up and some would hit too far above waterline or miss entirely.

The best way to fix that is slightly elevate from waterline relative to the slant if moving forward and try to hit the Montana closest to its rearmost two turrets as that is a flatter impact than the front part of Montana. So, sight in at turret 2 from 10km if Montana is sailing away like that, elevate so it don't go in water, and the shells should hit somewhere at turret 3 and 4 with a more satisfactory penetration.

\<---(You) like that.

If you hit the lower part of that slant, then shells are hitting closer to perpendicular than if you hit amidships.

At 10km, this is where having Yammy's guns are a disadvantage if relative speed to target and angle is not considered.

Yeah, I hate it when it happens to me, but this does happen to everyone. 

Carefully placing a shot is important in a game like this. 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Thanks 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
1 hour ago, MN1234 said:

I can only guess that you simply missed the citidel. Happens to me too. Other times I'll hit a ship aft (right on the butt) and citidel them.

Ah yes, the Brit BBs have that flat bottom. Smack it and it goes "Ooof, stop it you pervert!"

• Haha 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
41 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Ah yes, the Brit BBs have that flat bottom. Smack it and it goes "Ooof, stop it you pervert!"

LOL! (notifications not working)

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles
20 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Target was sailing on a slant from left to right away from you. So much so that some shells would hit water while others would bounce. Montana can stop a 16 inch shell and angled, can mitigate an 18 inch shell some. You were also sailing at him and your shell actually rises some with your relativistic speed closing distance. Monty was wide enough that adding your distance with the aim would make the dispersion sail up and some would hit too far above waterline or miss entirely.

The best way to fix that is slightly elevate from waterline relative to the slant if moving forward and try to hit the Montana closest to its rearmost two turrets as that is a flatter impact than the front part of Montana. So, sight in at turret 2 from 10km if Montana is sailing away like that, elevate so it don't go in water, and the shells should hit somewhere at turret 3 and 4 with a more satisfactory penetration.

\<---(You) like that.

If you hit the lower part of that slant, then shells are hitting closer to perpendicular than if you hit amidships.

At 10km, this is where having Yammy's guns are a disadvantage if relative speed to target and angle is not considered.

Yeah, I hate it when it happens to me, but this does happen to everyone. 

Carefully placing a shot is important in a game like this. 

Thank you for the assistance but holy crapthat seems super minute. I wish it was not like that but thank you for answering.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,141 posts
30,906 battles

OP, Montana has a Citadel that's close to the waterline.  It's not that the belt armor was too thick, especially at that range you guys were fighting in.  Nor was it autobounce angles.  Your shells simply landed too high or too low.

1AcqRfo.jpeg

That shell impact on the belt between the shell splashes, underneath the rear funnel area was just a hair too high.

w82jNMY.jpeg

High Tier USN Fast Battleships tend to have average belt armor and close to waterline cits.  In North Carolina's case, at waterline level.  Generally with USN BBs if your shell placement is good for the waterline, you'll Citadel them pretty badly.  But if you're just a bit too high and it's Pens / Overpens.

Below is North Carolina.  Waterline citadel, but her belt armor is so thin that I've deleted NCs with my Tier VI 356mm armed Fuso.

phyAaxN.jpeg

====

Also semi-related to this is bounce angles.  Be very careful sometimes when staring at someone's hull... Sometimes it looks you got a broadside but they're really close to or right at bounce angles.  It's surprising sometimes that you can bait people to shoot at your angled belt armor.  Or, you show enough flat broadside to bait their fire, but you know that with good enough rudder shift time, when the shells are in the air, you have enough time to hit the rudder and put the belt armor at an angle to bounce their shells.  That's not what happened in this case, it's just something I felt you should be aware of in the future.  It's actually a real thing baiting people's salvos like that.

I remember long ago getting into a fight using Yamato against an Iowa player who was charging at me showing a lot of sides.  I've deleted plenty enough broadside Iowas, but this guy anticipated my salvo, hit rudder so that the broadside I saw was no longer at a flat enough angle by the time the shells arrived.  My 460mm shells ended up bouncing.  I should have just went for the LOLPENs.  But that's hindsight and lessons learned.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
On 4/18/2022 at 11:36 AM, MN1234 said:

LOL! (notifications not working)

Yeah, I sent in a ticket ages ago. Hitting Conq or Thundy in the backside is a crime apparently since the Bobby's come out with their clubs yelling "Oi! That be a flat [edited] Brit Lady you be smacking! Stop! Or I will say Stop! Again!"

CS just laughs at my tickets when I send in these. I am sure they share them in the break room and some even read them while in the tub.

I am like that writer that wrote for Penthouse Forums. Totally a good read. LOL

• Haha 1

[DCMA]
Members
164 posts
7,128 battles

you had aimed to high

the ricochets u get were ricochets on the main armordeck 

Edited by Captain_Hook_NA

Sign in to follow this