Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

What do people consider the best Superships?

30 comments in this topic

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,276 battles

Which is the best super cruiser? Which is the best super DD? Super BB? CV?

[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
8 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Nathan Fillion Nevermind Portsmouth GIF - Nathan Fillion Nevermind  Portsmouth - Discover & Share GIFs

• Boring 3
  • Meh 2

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,276 battles
1 minute ago, tm63au said:

Nathan Fillion Nevermind Portsmouth GIF - Nathan Fillion Nevermind  Portsmouth - Discover & Share GIFs

Because I'm curious what general opinion is?

[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
Just now, Zaydin said:

Because I'm curious what general opinion is?

Really you have not read  the posts of late ?

There are supporters of Super ships no denying.

But they are far out numbered by the Anti crowd of whom I am one of them.

Of course when it comes to WG they never let community feelings stop them from doing what they want to do wrong or right,

So Super ships are her to stay even if it sinks the game, there word shall be done. 

• Sad 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[SALVO]
Members
28,062 posts
41,751 battles
16 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Alaska?

• Funny 3
  • Haha 1

[TO07]
Members
4,306 posts
31,731 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Alaska?

I think he maybe talking about Cough cough Tier 11 cough cough super ships 

[SALVO]
Members
28,062 posts
41,751 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I think he maybe talking about Cough cough Tier 11 cough cough super ships 

Which is why one should never refer to T11 cruisers as super cruisers, since it's a legit term used to describe tier 9 and 10 (plus the tier 8 Congress, I suppose) large cruisers.

Edited by Crucis
  • Sad 1

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,276 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Which is why one should never refer to T11 cruisers as super cruisers, since it's a legit term used to describe tier 9 and 10 (plus the tier 8 Congress, I suppose) large cruisers.

Those are Large Cruisers, not Super cruisers. The Annapolis and Conde still have the same caliber guns as their tech tree tier 10 counterparts at 203mm and 240mm respectively.

[SALVO]
Members
28,062 posts
41,751 battles
2 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Those are Large Cruisers, not Super cruisers. The Annapolis and Conde still have the same caliber guns as their tech tree tier 10 counterparts at 203mm and 240mm respectively.

"Large Cruiser" and "Super Cruiser" are synonymous. 

• Meh 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,223 posts
22,219 battles

To answer the OP and based mostly on playing with / against more than playing as...

Neither super DD are very super compared to the strongest T10 gun / torp boats. Both are fine though, Zorky if you want big Khab, Yamagiri for big Shima.

Conde is the more popular super cruiser but ofc has little utility.

Satsuma is the stronger super BB even despite the nerfs. The French BB looks to be Bourgogne on roids though so I might hold off.

Both super CV's are equally dumb after the USA got buffed rather than the Eagle nerfed, don't recommend either unless you're a good CV player since you will get matched against another super CV who will dumpster your team if he's any good and you're not up to matching him. If you want a 'Super CV' without that pressure, the Nakhimov is perfectly viable.

Edited by lloyd1701
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

They all have different strengths. It pretty much comes down to what kind of playstyle you enjoy.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,706 posts
16,775 battles

The super CVs are overpowered to the max. Frankly they should do a complete removal of them.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
2,448 posts
17,289 battles
3 hours ago, Crucis said:

I would also add the Graf Spee to this list....

Members
6,892 posts
14,881 battles

Satsuma is the ONLY one I fear when playing my JB as it seems to be able to cit/do incredible damage no matter the angle.

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,162 battles

By now, we should accept the fact that they are in fact, tier 11 ships.

Let's not beat around the bush, just go in the bush instead. Face it with honor. LOL

OP, I guess the best answer is when you fire on an under-tiered player that has a purple record and you have a color not purple stat-wise, then you manage to 1 shot them into the briny deep.

Of course, the purple stat-wise player will say: "We had a small explosion down below, and the ship sunk itself. The supership player didn't do it. That is my story, post it on Twitter and I am sticking with it."

You see, sink a player with tier 11, make red player cry, then red player goes on Red-dit and complain, then tier 11 is deemed evil.

Red-dit. The home of the unhappy player that probably should not have sailed wide, but because they are special with awesome numbers, they have a sense of entitlement.

Entitlement: having a title and deserving respect. See, Karen and D--K. 

OP, just pick a ship that you have fun with.

If you start to laugh like DR Evil after sinking half of red team, then take into consideration that red team players might try to swat your house or at least deliver pizza from the worst pizza place nearby.

Never take free food. Never go to a warships event if your enemy knows you are going.

Some players are sensitive when you sink them. Sort of odd for a game.:cap_cool:

[TORCH]
Members
829 posts
8,354 battles

Conde and Satsuma...and it used to be Eagle...but they buffed the US to put it on the same overpowered level...They are both a nightmare for game balance (really all SS are though)

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,932 posts
23,662 battles
5 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Cruiser: Conde.  She has more versatility than Annapolis.  Torpedoes, Speed Boost and Reload Booster to help with her Burst Fire.

Destroyer: I couldn't really say since I haven't messed with either of them enough.  Personally I like Yamagiri over the Zorkiy, but again, I haven't used them enough to really nail it down.  From the few times I played them though, I prefer the Yamagiri over the Zorkiy.

Battleship: That really boils down to your play style in BB's.  If you like up close and personal, Hannover will not disappoint. If you like to fight at range, Satsuma is your gal.  Personally I like Satsuma as to me she's a Shikishima +1. :Smile_veryhappy:

Carrier: I couldn't say as I only put in a few matches with United States, and like one in Eagle.  From the few times I played them, personally I liked the United States more than Eagle.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,442 posts
9,987 battles

Honestly, Superships are in a situation similar to when WOWS launched.  There are only two choices in each type of ship, so trying to say which is the best is probably more a question of which of the two is more the playstyle of the player picking.

I purchased United States because it offered a different play option from my Midway, but I would have to say Eagle's torpedo squadron outperforms United State's Tiny Tim rocket squadron in both damage and accuracy.  I didn't pick up Yamagiri because, while a good DD, my Shimakaze can do the same things it can, and I really don't need more than one Supership to feed right now.

When there are more choices, I think the question can be asked with more than a binary choice.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,794 battles

The Conde is stupid fun to play and very powerful. However, It real power comes to fruition in ranked. Decent in randoms but runs amok in ranked. Get it in a one on one fight and it will pimp slap most anything. I found this to be true of the Napoli as well but we are talking superships here. I really think that they need a tier 11 though if we are to see more post war ships. Fine with me. 

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,327 battles
22 hours ago, Zaydin said:

I never played the SS DD's at all so can't comment on them. My play experience with the ones I did play was in Co-op only. So FWIW...

Conde and Annapolis are good but not that much better than Des Moines and Henri IV. Overall of the 2 I think Conde may be slightly better but as said both are good. I just can't see where they are worth the cost when DM and HIV are there. I also am not a fan of the burst gimmick. It leaves Annapolis with a 40 sec reload once used (think Vermont) and Conde with a 50 sec reload (think worse than Vermont :cap_wander_2:). Annapolis can have a sub 5 sec reload with MBM3 so no reason to use burst fire other than very specific circumstances. Conde has a long base reload, and can lower the burst reload a lot with MBRB, but overall just not worth it.

Hannover and Satsuma are good but are they worth the cost? Their biggest edge IMO, other than slightly improved AA and a little more overmatch (Satsuma only), is the huge increase in HP over Yamato and Pruessen. 

Eagle is hands down the best of the CV's (and IMO the best overall SS). Eagle is VASTLY superior to Audacious (not even close). I liked it so much that despite the outrageous purchase price and cost to run it I got it. I won't play it a ton (mostly NB, flake events if qualified, and for CV mission tasks) but I wanted it

I found United States to be a dog (and IMO the worst overall SS). Give me Midway or FDR over it any day. I see some talking about the buffs WG gave it making it strong now, and one even saying it is now as strong as Eagle, and well, just NO... NO it is not :Smile_facepalm:!

The major buffs it got were a deck armor buff which only helps it when being shot at and all that is hit is the deck and a small detection buff. Even with the deck armor buff it is still very squishy. The biggest issue with the ship was, and still is, offense. 

WG chose to give it rocket planes as one of it's 2 standard squadrons; the other is HE DB's (same as Midway). Rocket planes absolutely suck these days. Hard to hit with reliably and they do poor damage if you do. They are also the weakest of the plane types and shot down easily (well in comparison). Eagle gets bombers + torp planes which is a much better and stronger combo.

WG needs to replace the useless rocket planes with torp planes and then it would be ok. The offensive change it got was to it's tactical torpedo planes with a change to squadron size, torp damage, attack damage reduction %, and plane reload rate but was it a buff???....

• Before: 2 planes p/ squadron / 2 torps each /13,733 damage each (54,932 max possible) - Damage reduction during attack run -50% - Reload 240 sec
  • After: 3 planes p/ squadron / 2 torps each / 8200 damage each (49,200) - Damage reduction during attack run -30% - Reload 150 sec

So the tactical torp planes, it's best weapon, were actually nerfed more than buffed. They get more planes, so more torps per attack now, but the overall damage done is down significantly and the planes take more damage now while attacking. The only buff I see is the reload rate is faster so you can use them more. Which translates to 8 attacks over a 20 minute game vs 5 previously. It gives the potential over a whole game to do more damage with the torp planes but with the damage reduction you will probably lose a plane each time and that heavily impacts it.

IMO United States still sucks! ALL of Eagles planes (standard and tactical) are good. United States has sub-par rocket planes (standard and tactical) and the tactical bombers aren't as good as Eagles. Plus, Eagle has standard torp planes vs standard rocket planes for United States which gives it a big edge there too.

JMHO FWIW...

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Members
64 posts
5,735 battles
20 hours ago, DJC_499 said:

I would also add the Graf Spee to this list....

I wouldn't.  Admiral Graf Spee's guns were big for her size, hence the term 'pocket battleship', but the Deutschland-class weren't larger than standard cruisers.  Admiral Hipper, the next cruiser built by Germany after Admiral Graf Spee, had a displacement 2,000 metric tons greater than Admiral Graf Spee, and Alaska had a displacement more than twice that of Admiral Graf Spee.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,191 posts
30,943 battles
20 hours ago, CylonRed said:

Satsuma is the ONLY one I fear when playing my JB as it seems to be able to cit/do incredible damage no matter the angle.

Overmatch is the reason why.

Jean Bart, as with all High Tier FR & RN Battleships, are coated in 32mm exterior armor.  Upper belt, extremities, even the deck armor.  460mm+ AP will Overmatch.  No bounce checks, it's Penetration at the very least.

When the RNBB Line was released and people on the forums constantly whining about Conqueror, a friend of mine in his Yamato was ecstatic.  He was Overmatching all those Conqueror, Lion, etc. players to hell and back.  Angled, bow on, it didn't matter.  Overmatch City and zero bounce checks.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
1,065 posts
11,688 battles
34 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Overmatch is the reason why.

Jean Bart, as with all High Tier FR & RN Battleships, are coated in 32mm exterior armor.  Upper belt, extremities, even the deck armor.  460mm+ AP will Overmatch.  No bounce checks, it's Penetration at the very least.

When the RNBB Line was released and people on the forums constantly whining about Conqueror, a friend of mine in his Yamato was ecstatic.  He was Overmatching all those Conqueror, Lion, etc. players to hell and back.  Angled, bow on, it didn't matter.  Overmatch City and zero bounce checks.

Musashi also.  I remember people poo-poo'ing her, saying she's terrible.  At least until the mains opened up.  Then they realize real quick she's just a Tier X hiding in  Tier IX clothing.

Part of the reason why I decided to get Satsuma first over the other SS's.  The Yammy sisters always bring the pain from downtown, and Sats continues that tradition.  The gadget might be of questionable utility.  Also, whether or not it's a smart acquisition in terms of economics still remains to be seen.

In other news, I'm still running tests on Yamagiri, seeing what I can do with her.  Annapolis and Conde were fun during the free trial weeks, but it will be some time before I can unlock them for real.  My USN CA's seem perptually stuck at Balty, and I barely play any French cruisers.  As for Zor,  my DD progression is stuck at T2 and I rarely play Soviet anything except during snowflake time.

Didn't play Eagle, and I really wasn't impressed by the proto-Forrestal/United States during the free trial.  OK-ish,  but not enough to consider saving up for one.

All in all, I'm content with just Satsuma and Yamagiri.

[BONKS]
Members
4,827 posts
52 battles

Eagle is essentially a better Audacious but trades off anti DD capability due to a lack of rockets. It's pretty good but I wouldn't consider it better than the current top T10s.

United States is overpowered since the latest buff.

• Meh 1

Sign in to follow this