You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SpinBR

Is Hornet really worth it?

14 comments in this topic

Members
47 posts
3,030 battles

I still haven't received the Hornet. But I'm seriously thinking about getting it. But in my experience face it. Sounds like an average CV to me. My last game I played Kaga. at the beginning of the game I simply detonated it without much difficulty. I say the B25's are iconic and wonderful. A hit from them can be deadly. But when facing a KAGA for example.. he becomes very inappropriate and maybe even unfair to his own team. It doesn't really have any worthy AA to protect it. Maybe even my saipan could destroy it at the beginning of the game without much difficulty. Is he really worth it?

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,117 posts
35,137 battles

Is Marblehead worth it? Is Mikasa worth it? Is Dreadnaught worth it? Is Oklahoma or Agincourt worth it?

Sometime you just get a ship for what it is/its history, not what it can do for your wr.

Marblehead I got for its epic voyage home from the defeat of ABDA.

Mikasa I got because I’ve actually been to see it in Yokosuka.

I live in Oklahoma.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,100 battles

OP, you make it seem like winning is everything. Have you not learned that taking two Neptunes in the hull makes for a win too?

Does Lebron Flop because he likes only to shoot foul shots from the free throw line?

If you win many yellow jerseys in the Tour de France, does that make you a unicum or someone that got on the juice?

OP, it is a CV that has history. 

Now, if WG wanted to sell a guaranteed win CV, wouldn't you think the clans would buy it first? Would it not be the OP SDF1? Do Super Unicum clans have that kind of money? I mean you could probably afford the best ships if you sold drugs as a clan wouldn't you?

But we know that is not true...

Super clans don't sell drugs. They might sell "It" on the weekend. Maybe give up the bad kidney from drinking RedBulls. Probably ask Grandma for a birthday gift 3 times in one year. (Poor Grandma).

Maybe these super clans do some pagan ritual? Sacrifice a Canadian Pop singer? Eat Vegemite?

I could go on. But even Titanic was 3 hours long. 

The SDF1 could have it launch VF1S planes and then let it fire its main gun on a flank? Sure, there will be cries of: "SDF1 is OP!" 

OP, you presume that any ship WG offers as a Premium=Win.

If that were true, then all the super unicum clans would only sail Premium ships, right?

Consider Hornet as content. I look forward to the West Virginia post-Pearl. I know eventually we will see these other ships in game.

SDF1..SDF1..

I am sure most don't even know the acronym, or they may make one up on their own. LOL

That would be fun to sea.

• Thanks 1

[P_P]
Members
500 posts
22 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Eat Vegemite?

oi oi oi.

22 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

SDF1..SDF1..

wasn't that an old space ship cartoon?.. ringing some bells from the distant past.

edit - yup googled it, remember it now. I liked the space cartoon that had a big main gun that just obliterated everything. yet it was always broken till the last second. The ship looked like a sausage with a bite taken out of the front... Gud now I'm going to be trying to remember it all night.

Edited by Retarie

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,100 battles
3 minutes ago, Retarie said:

oi oi oi.

wasn't that an old space ship cartoon?.. ringing some bells from the distant past.

If you are ringing bells, then you are older than me. we use digital over here. 

My friend in the Navy said they tried to set rat traps with vegemite. The Rats called the health department on the crew. 

Vegemite, when you heat it in a microwave, makes a distinct smell that offends everyone and you quickly lose friends in the bathroom too. "Oi! Courtesy flush mate!"

• Haha 1

[USCG]
Members
1,004 posts
31,448 battles
45 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

OP, you make it seem like winning is everything. Have you not learned that taking two Neptunes in the hull makes for a win too?

:cap_like:

Members
47 posts
3,030 battles

It seems that they are taking everything to heart, guys, I'm talking about the comparison of aircraft carriers. Leaving aside the historical question a little and I also know that many people buy ships for collection. The point here is not this.
     And yes its efficiency in the game. I'm also not saying that because it's premium, it should be a guaranteed victory.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,706 posts
16,775 battles
20 hours ago, SpinBR said:

It seems that they are taking everything to heart, guys, I'm talking about the comparison of aircraft carriers. Leaving aside the historical question a little and I also know that many people buy ships for collection. The point here is not this.
     And yes its efficiency in the game. I'm also not saying that because it's premium, it should be a guaranteed victory.

I'm personally holding off. I want to hear more. My super unicum comrades say it's def not as strong as other options at the same tier. I'll pick it up for the challenge. But search 'reimu warships hornet' and you'll find an overview by one of the deep purples. 

[386LV]
Members
117 posts
13,570 battles

It's a historical ship and offers a somewhat unique playstyle. Is it powerful? Absolutely not.

[ASALT]
Members
1,522 posts
13,983 battles

I have played a few games in it, feels like an Enterprise with stronger torpedo bombers, slightly weaker ap bombers and the special HE dive bomber consumable in place of the now all but useless rocket planes that used to make the Big E so great.  

Torpedo planes are very maneuverable during the drop like the Big E and if you land all 4 it feels like they do more damage than landing all 3 from the Big E.  Not Saipan levels of damage but descent.

AP dive bombers do well against heavy cruisers and BBs that are typically easy targets for ap bombers.  If they don't cit they don't do much. 

HE bomber consumable, does great against ships typically vulnerable to HE bombs (USN BB's for example).  Reticle is round making drops easy to get hits but you cant improve the number of bombs that hit by improving approach. - Low skill floor low skill ceiling kind of thing

Slower planes are her weakness, it affects her influence on the entire map.

HE dive bomber consumable has no fighters which limits your ability to protect ally ships.

Of all the other T8 CV's she is pretty easy to play and is fairly forgiving.  Kaga is easier and can be more influential IMO but this ship is probably the next in line for easiest to play.  I personally see her as a fairly low skill floor low skill ceiling ship so far, your mileage may vary.  If you are newer to CV and wand a T8 USN CV she is going to be the best of the 3.  Enterprise is just not that great post rocket nerf and Saipan is likely the most unforgiving CV in the game.

[SGSS]
Members
6,915 posts
On 4/18/2022 at 8:35 AM, Retarie said:

oi oi oi.

edit - yup googled it, remember it now. I liked the space cartoon that had a big main gun that just obliterated everything. yet it was always broken till the last second. The ship looked like a sausage with a bite taken out of the front... Gud now I'm going to be trying to remember it all night.

Not just a cartoon but my favorite toy as a kid.  My 8 year old girl and I are watching Robotrek again.

Would love to see that cv in the game.

[P_P]
Members
500 posts
2 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Not just a cartoon but my favorite toy as a kid.  My 8 year old girl and I are watching Robotrek again.

Would love to see that cv in the game.

haha Robotech and Macross.

cant beat the old cartoons... even the cartoons back then had better actors then now.

yup.. now that as a super ship would be awesome lol

[KUK-M]
Members
127 posts
3,358 battles
On 4/17/2022 at 11:52 PM, SpinBR said:

I still haven't received the Hornet. But I'm seriously thinking about getting it. But in my experience face it. Sounds like an average CV to me. My last game I played Kaga. at the beginning of the game I simply detonated it without much difficulty. I say the B25's are iconic and wonderful. A hit from them can be deadly. But when facing a KAGA for example.. he becomes very inappropriate and maybe even unfair to his own team. It doesn't really have any worthy AA to protect it. Maybe even my saipan could destroy it at the beginning of the game without much difficulty. Is he really worth it?

If you're a history fan, sure 100% recommend it, but for awesome games and resource farming, it's best to go with something else. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,056 posts
30,833 battles

I bought her for being a historically important bote.  But honestly her usefulness in the game is very suspect.  Those slow weak planes look like they're going to get devoured by High Tier AA.