You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AirCrewChief

Revell 1/540 U.S.S. Saratoga CV-60 kit

8 comments in this topic

[7CR]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
782 posts
2,818 battles

mx8zTWu.jpg

I've had this old kit in my closet for years, having no real reason to build it.  I got it from a "wall of shame" in a local plastic-model shop in Ventura; the kit had been opened and pieces were missing. 

e2Gy0Ij.jpg

Anyways earlier this year my housemate and I were talking Navy.  I served, and so did her Dad.  Anyway she got out some old photos and we discovered he'd been a Corpsman stationed aboard CV-60 during the VietNam war.  He passed away many years ago, and I asked her if she'd like the kit.  It took some work; the masts, a propeller, and both rudders were missing.  Also missing were some of the 24" searchlights and many of the island fittings.  I built what I could, painted things up, and used an aftermarket set of decals.  I'm sure it's not completely accurate for the early '60s, but I think she'll like it.  She found a place up on her top shelf to keep it.

fgzeb6k.jpg

The kit depicts the Saratoga from the 1960s, with A3D Skywarriors, F7U-3 Cutlasses, F2H-4 Banshees, FJ-3 Furys, and HUP-3 Retrievers.

8NOaXow.jpg

My eyes and hands just aren't as good as they were 40 years ago, so paint and fine detail are not stellar by any means.

DjUcBzO.jpg

The replacement decals are "Starfighter Decals" by Mark's Models and Toys for the Forrestal-class CVAs in the 1950s.  I know the Saratoga is a bit outside World of Warships' range, but I thought it'd be a nice forum post.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 3

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

These models are great just as they are.  You did good with the decals, though.

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,185 battles
2 hours ago, AirCrewChief said:

The kit depicts the Saratoga from the 1960s, with A3D Skywarriors, F7U-3 Cutlasses, F2H-4 Banshees, FJ-3 Furys, and HUP-3 Retrievers.

Nice.

If this is the last post, you should link the old posts so folks can see your progress.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[7CR]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
782 posts
2,818 battles
46 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Nice.

If this is the last post, you should like the old posts so folks can see your progress.

First post.

Second post.

EP, thank you for the suggestion to link former posts.  

[V_V_V]
Members
1,509 posts
20,773 battles
2 hours ago, AirCrewChief said:

nice forum post.

Well done!

• Cool 1