You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ked65

Why people quit this game.

34 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
63 posts
18,075 battles

I was playing my Richelieu and was sunk by a Smolensk. No big deal until you look at the details. I was hit by a single torp and my ship exploded. How can that happen? First a Smolensk can't fire a single torp so it had to blow up at the exact same time it launched torps resulting in only one torp being launched. This can happen. But maximum torp damage from a Smolensk is 14400 hp and yet it somehow did 45147 hp damage to my ship !! So the only explanation is a detonation. How does a torpedo hit my torp protection on the side of my ship that is supposed to give me a 35% reduction in torpedo damage detonate my ship !  These are the types of things that just defy logic when it comes to game mechanics. Explain to me how this makes a game fun. Rant over !

• Boring 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
1 minute ago, ked65 said:

I was playing my Richelieu and was sunk by a Smolensk. No big deal until you look at the details. I was hit by a single torp and my ship exploded. How can that happen? First a Smolensk can't fire a single torp so it had to blow up at the exact same time it launched torps resulting in only one torp being launched. This can happen. But maximum torp damage from a Smolensk is 14400 hp and yet it somehow did 45147 hp damage to my ship !! So the only explanation is a detonation. How does a torpedo hit my torp protection on the side of my ship that is supposed to give me a 35% reduction in torpedo damage detonate my ship !  These are the types of things that just defy logic when it comes to game mechanics. Explain to me how this makes a game fun. Rant over !

I've had the same thing happen to me. No way should one torp take my 100% healthy ship out.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
22 minutes ago, ked65 said:

How can that happen?

Detonation mechanic...

People dont quit because of the Detonation mechanic... The game debuted with the feature.. I would argue, its one of the in-game elements contributed to its growth.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
21 minutes ago, ked65 said:

How does a torpedo hit my torp protection on the side of my ship that is supposed to give me a 35% reduction in torpedo damage detonate my ship !  These are the types of things that just defy logic when it comes to game mechanics. Explain to me how this makes a game fun. Rant over !

Penetration is not the same as DMG...

Torps do penetrate, they can and will penetrate your ammo magazines.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detonation

@Snargfargle Made a thread on how Detonation can be a spontaneous game changer factor in a match...

Edited by Navalpride33

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Detonation mechanic...

It doesn't happen to me often, but it has happened more than usual lately.

It's frustrating but if it stays low incident I can live with it.

There's bound to be things like this happening from time to time.

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

Penetration is not the same as DMG...

Torps do penetrate, they can and will penetrate your ammo magazines.

It would be interesting to see how many times this happens in game and compare it to how often it happens in real war.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
2 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

It would be interesting to see how many times this happens in game and compare it to how often it happens in real war.

From a torp ??? It does happen but torpedoes do other form of destructive harm... It dont need to be lucky  ( like hitting a magazine) in order to sink a ship...

Shells coming from Naval Guns Ships, or CV planes... More often then the game  chance...

More ships, were sunk by explosions of some form of combustible, then the actual shelling themselves

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

From a torp ??? It does happen but torpedoes do other form of destructive harm... It dont need to be lucky  ( like hitting a magazine) in order to sink a ship...

Shells coming from Naval Guns Ships, or CV planes... More often then the game  chance...

More ships, were sunk by explosions of some form of combustible, then the actual shelling themselves

What we are addressing here is the disparity between a torps max. damage potential vs a healthy ship with HP that exceed the torps capabilties.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
7 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

What we are addressing here is the disparity between a torps max. damage potential vs a healthy ship with HP that exceed the torps capabilties.

Detonations happen when a ship is at %75 HP left (or 3/4HP)...Plus other factors

Its the same for all ordnance  in the game... Not just what the OP is complaining about...

Edited by Navalpride33

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
15 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

Not counting destroyers; five times I can recall off hand…

Hood. Barham. Zara, (or Pola; whichever one Warspite instaquacked.) Arizona. The ammo ship John Burke.

• Thanks 2

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Detonations happen when a ship is at %75 HP left (or 3/4HP)...Plus other factors

Its the same for all ordnance  in the game... Not just what the OP is complaining about...

I understand that. I'm not griping. I said I can live with it.

It is curious that a full HP ship can be taken out by one single torp.

All the OP is asking for is a reason why it happens.

If it's fairly rare than that makes sense but he is wondering if it is a legit part of the game or not.

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Hood. Barham. Zara, (or Pola; whichever one Warspite instaquacked.) Arizona. The ammo ship John Burke.

Thank you. So it is rare.

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, MN1234 said:

I understand that. I'm not griping. I said I can live with it.

It is curious that a full HP ship can be taken out by one single torp.

All the OP is asking for is a reason why it happens.

If it's fairly rare than that makes sense but he is wondering if it is a legit part of the game or not.

Detonations (in game) can happen from torps, shells, or ordnance from planes..

The detonation mechanic doesn't discriminate by ordnance but it's frequency is erratic at best..

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
4 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Detonations (in game) can happen from torps, shells, or ordnance from planes..

The detonation mechanic doesn't discriminate by ordnance but it's frequency is erratic at best..

I know chain reactions are a part of any explosive situation. That is basically what we are talking about.

The torp sets off a chain reaction that destroys the ship.

Problem solved.

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,887 posts
17,704 battles
33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

the IJN carriers at Midway, Taiho because the fumes were put every where on the ship through ventilation

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
8 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

the IJN carriers at Midway, Taiho because the fumes were put every where on the ship through ventilation

Basically made the entire ship a bomb

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
1 hour ago, MN1234 said:

I've had the same thing happen to me. No way should one torp take my 100% healthy ship out.

No single hit can detonate a 100% healthy ship.

Members
2,335 posts
6,897 battles
1 hour ago, MN1234 said:

In the Battle of Jutland 3 Battle cruisers magazine detonated. one Battle.

[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
5 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

In the Battle of Jutland 3 Battle cruisers magazine detonated. one Battle.

Bloodiest day in British naval history.

Edited by MN1234

Members
3,594 posts
7,435 battles
1 hour ago, ked65 said:

Just put your replay on the paper clip below so people can examine it and  get back to you.  

Edited by dionkraft

Members
3,352 posts
3,059 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

(or Pola; whichever one Warspite instaquacked.)

Pola is the one whose crew got drunk & was boarded then captured by a British destroyer.

• Thanks 1

[AM-PM]
Members
325 posts
8,626 battles
1 hour ago, MN1234 said:

There were several British Battlecruiser detonations at the (real) Battle of Jutland.  Worth looking up the stories although they were mostly due to mishandled magazines/ammunition due to a misguided attempt to increase rate of fire.  As I recall, there was a Victoria Cross given for a gun captain who ordered all bulkheads closed and the magazine flooded before he died.

I think Drachfinel (sp) did a great series on this and it was posted as news on wg site if I recall... maybe not :)

[CO-OP]
Members
5,201 posts
43,308 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

No single hit can detonate a 100% healthy ship.

IIRC, if a hit does at least 25% of the ship's health it can.  The roll for detonation comes after the initial damage is assessed

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

(edit)

Eight.(credit to @Arcus_Aesopi for the reminder.)

Invincible, Indefatigable, and Queen Mary, at Jutland.

You might have been able to add Sedlitz to that list; except…

Sedlitz suffered potentially catastrophic turret fires on two separate occasions, (Dogger Bank, Jutland,) but survived both times.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

North Carolina was almost added into the detonation list in WWII.  On September 15, 1942, Japanese submarine I-19 fired off one of the most devastating torpedo salvos in naval warfare.  She spotted carrier USS Wasp and fired a salvo of 6 oxygen torpedoes.  3 of them hit Wasp causing heavy damage from which she'd fight to recover from but would eventually succumb.  The other 3 torpedoes went on, 1 hit Battleship North Carolina and 1 hit Sims-class Destroyer O'Brien.  The Destroyer would sink.  North Carolina would take the hit, suffer flooding, and was removed from the war until repairs were completed.

1 submarine -> 6 torpedoes -> Sank 1 CV, 1 DD, damaged a Battleship.

The crazy part about the attack was that Wasp was the main, intended target.  The other 3 torpedoes kept on going and since the long lances had such good range, they went on until hitting NC and O'Brien.  Wrong place at the wrong time.

Below USS Wasp is burning and a torpedo just hit O'Brien.

1920px-USS_O'Brien_(DD-415)_being_torped

Wasp.

1920px-USS_Wasp_(CV-7)_burning_on_15_Sep1920px-USS_Wasp_(CV-7)_burning_on_15_Sep

As for North Carolina, she got lucky.  The torpedo almost went off in her powder magazine and we would not have the museum ship we have now.

Another thing to make you go, "Hmm" is the fact that the North Carolina-class was deemed to have a better torpedo defense system than the later South Dakota and Iowa-classes of Battleships.  Just before the war with tests using USN torps, it was found that the older NC-class version of TDS was better than the newer one on the SD-class.  Very unfortunate for the USN because the Iowa-class used the same system as the inferior version as found on SD-class.  It became enough of a concern that the Montana-class that were being finalized in design were switched over to the older NC-class style of TDS.

Also in WoWS, North Carolina has awful TDS while South Dakota-class have super amazing TDS values.  Hmm.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway