Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Plymouth_MadeInChina

The Gouden Leeuw Experience

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
306 posts
9,044 battles
11 minutes ago, alheck111 said:

Too bad it has no defense against subs.

Its funny. While it doesn't have a direct way to attack a submerged sub, I actually like the match up better than say Pan Asia cruisers.

1. Its got hydro, which spots the sub(and gives even greater reaction time to her torps). I find most sub, that I've had interactions with, don't like getting spotted. Their battery starts draining faster and they start taking ASW from other ships, plus you just wrecked their plan. It forces them away at the least, at best gets them killed by ASW focus or forces them to surface where you can attack them. Golden Lew's air strike does pretty good damage to a surfaced sub if you can hit them.

2. Its got decent armor profile so being constantly spotted by the sub isn't nearly as detrimental as a lighter cruiser that relies on stealth.

3. Unlike most cruisers, she actually has some torp protection of 25%. With subs weaker torp damage, if your gonna take some, the reduction can/will be beneficial.

[CNM88]
Members
90 posts
9,204 battles
18 minutes ago, Amfree said:

Its funny. While it doesn't have a direct way to attack a submerged sub, I actually like the match up better than say Pan Asia cruisers.

1. Its got hydro, which spots the sub(and gives even greater reaction time to her torps). I find most sub, that I've had interactions with, don't like getting spotted. Their battery starts draining faster and they start taking ASW from other ships, plus you just wrecked their plan. It forces them away at the least, at best gets them killed by ASW focus or forces them to surface where you can attack them. Golden Lew's air strike does pretty good damage to a surfaced sub if you can hit them.

2. Its got decent armor profile so being constantly spotted by the sub isn't nearly as detrimental as a lighter cruiser that relies on stealth.

3. Unlike most cruisers, she actually has some torp protection of 25%. With subs weaker torp damage, if your gonna take some, the reduction can/will be beneficial.

I get that, but if  hydro runs out, they can spot you from 2km away while at periscope depth - a 7km advantage.  The airstrike only works when they are at surface depth, which in regular sub play, is a last resort.  Usually, they are always at periscope depth when they are close enough to take damage.

In reality, it is compatible to any russian tank cruiser or german cruiser.  The main difference is that they get to have depth charges or ASW - the dutch don't because of no real justifiable reason.

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
306 posts
9,044 battles
9 minutes ago, alheck111 said:

I get that, but if  hydro runs out, they can spot you from 2km away while at periscope depth - a 7km advantage.  The airstrike only works when they are at surface depth, which in regular sub play, is a last resort.  Usually, they are always at periscope depth when they are close enough to take damage.

In reality, it is compatible to any russian tank cruiser or german cruiser.  The main difference is that they get to have depth charges or ASW - the dutch don't because of no real justifiable reason.

Oh I get that, I'm not saying its all good. Just I prefer that matchup over some others and gave my reasons why.

Edited by Amfree

[-GF-]
Beta Testers
1,237 posts
12,853 battles
1 hour ago, alheck111 said:

Too bad it has no defense against subs.

Their air strikes can one shot subs when they are surfaced. 

Sign in to follow this