You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

HMS Dido thoughts and tips

3 comments in this topic

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

So, I held off from making a thread like this for a while, mostly because if I'd made it the day I got the ship it probably would have looked something like: (redacted) WG how dare you (redacted) do this to the Dido you mother (redacted) brainless  (redacted) (redacted) (redacted) (redacted) with a (redacted) cheese grater. 

I am, of course, not being serious. But nonetheless, it probably would have been pretty bad, so I waited a bit collected my thoughts and took time with Dido. I was making this as a guide for a couple of buddies to read when I wasn't around to give them tips vocally, it's been edited slightly to make more sense and to remove names, but if you see something that looks like I'm speaking to someone directly that's why. Figured I should just share it in case someone out there finds some use in it. 

I'm no little white mouse but I do love the HMS Dido as a historical ship. She's an interesting and well-storied lead ship of her class so I was admittedly pretty excited for her. 

So when I saw that she got the hammer of nerfing, I was somewhat concerned as to the results. For those of you who don't have the ship and are just browsing the forums, Dido is very different from other cruisers in the British line. Her design, gameplay-wise, is as far away from the other British light cruisers as the DDs are from them. If I had to compare her to anything in the British line, in fact, it would probably be the brit DDs. She even has the fast reloading smoke that they have, not a very good one, but it's there.  Despite my reservations, I picked her up after doing the missions for the coins. 

Ok, so you have Dido, personally, I would have advised against it as a newer player but you've already done it so let me help you out a bit. 

So let's go into the pros of Dido: 

She has the enhanced engines that many of the brit DDs/CLs have, this allows her to keep speed while making turns. This helps her dodge incoming damage be it from shells or torps. 

She has a lot of guns for the tier. 

Smoke helps to disengage or farm a quick bit of damage, depending on the situation. 

She is actually very stealthy, she's a little lass you see, so she can disengage well even without the smoke. 

She has a pretty decent range for her gun type, though learning to aim at said ranges is a must.

She has defensive fire...it's there so it's a pro I guess.

She has torps and you can single fire them.

Now for the cons: 

She lacks both Hydro and a heal like the other brit CLs.

Her AA is surprisingly bad, which is strange all things considered seeing as her sister ship has better AA in the pan Asian tree and her history, but you have to live with it if you play her.

She is both poorly armoured and lacking in HP. You can find yourself missing chunks of HP very quickly in this ship.

She's both skill-intensive and her skill needs are different from the tech tree line, not as much of an issue now that you can use captains from any ship class, but something one should be aware of. 

Her ROF is bad, worse than her sistership in the pan Asian tree with the same guns in fact, which is again rather strange. Balance reasons I suppose...

So, weighing the pros and cons of this ship, do I think this ship can be fun and or effective. Yes, actually let me rephrase that, this ship can be very fun if played well. I've had some very good games in the Dido, however, when you make mistakes you WILL pay for it and very quickly too. The issue with this ship is that unlike the other ships in the Brit CL branch of the tier and the one above it, she doesn't forgive mistakes. She also requires you to know what to do in any given situation you find yourself in to be effective. Her lack of consumables that help in DD hunting is a good example of this, the Atlanta has radar, the brit CLs have hydro, and you have neither. This means that you are somewhat less effective at the task, though it is by no means impossible. 

A few tips for you regarding Dido: 

Try to div up with a ship with longer-lasting smoke. Yes, I know, I say to div up a lot but for Dido it really does make a difference. Yes, before you two say it I know I played her solo a lot too. Having the longer-lasting smoke as cover, as well as someone to spot, is a real boon for her. I SERIOUSLY recommend both IFHE and heavy HE shells as skills for this ship. You may think this is backwards in the case of the former, as the IFHE skill cuts your fire chance. However, I have found the extra pen and extra damage to be a rather effective way of racking up damage on heavier ships. Her ROF makes trying to set fires with her somewhat unreliable but it's fast enough that you can smack someone for a good chunk of HP if you can pen them. Don't be afraid to use your AP on other cruisers, it may sound weird, seeing as Dido has what are effectively secondary sized guns but they are able to pen and cit other broadside cruisers at a surprising range.

Your single fire torps can be very useful, but they can also get you into trouble, don't feel the need to rush in to get torp hits if you can gun whatever it is you are shooting down or alternatively escape. On that note, use your acceleration, small size and concealment to your advantage. You can often position yourself so that you have the advantage against larger ships or other cruisers. Waiting for a battleship to fire for example, or getting to the side that they have their guns turned away from. Your smoke can be a great tool to escape or do damage, its fast reload means that you shouldn't be too worried about using it if it saves your HP or nets you a kill. The AA isn't as good as it ought to be, so don't dump too many points and or mods into buffing it. I do not recommend relying solely on the AA to save you from a CV, yes I know that her AA was decent in real life, that isn't the case in the game. It's actually pretty bad, for balance reasons I guess, you can use your smoke to break sight of a CV and the DFAA to make yourself an uninviting target but that's about it. 

I hope this helps you guys and if you find yourself liking Dido, I'd suggest grabbing the Atlanta or the pan Asian ships that came out recently, they are similar to Dido but have more effective tools I feel. 

Hey, this is Sinboto from the future, thanks for reading, and if you have any tips or thoughts on the Dido feel free to share! 

• Cool 3

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
52 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

So, I held off from making a thread like this for a while, mostly because if I'd made it the day I got the ship it probably would have looked something like: (redacted) WG how dare you (redacted) do this to the Dido you mother (redacted) brainless  (redacted) (redacted) (redacted) (redacted) with a (redacted) cheese grater. 

I am, of course, not being serious

Buuuuut a little bit you were a little bit.

2B478BB2-A227-49D4-ACD1-95298DDDC852.gif

Edited by Dudefella

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles
10 minutes ago, Dudefella said:

Buuuuut a little bit you were a little bit.

2B478BB2-A227-49D4-ACD1-95298DDDC852.gif

I will neither confirm nor deny that statement. :Smile_popcorn:

• Haha 1