Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

IS PORTAL CHIP = EASTER EGG???

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
627 posts
17,152 battles

I keep winning Portal Chips, but can't find any info about them.  My Easter Egg count keeps going up as I win Portal Chips.    wth is a Portal Chip and why would you use that name if it's an Easter Egg?   And is it 1 to 1??   Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,708
[HOP4S]
Members
6,995 posts
35,446 battles

Easter is a Christian holiday....  I would suspect to not infuriate the other 4,200 +/- several hundred identified religions.  I could be wrong but, that would mean that our host2 isn't communicating internally and as we all know, that never happens...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,449
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles
2 hours ago, brewakeg said:

I keep winning Portal Chips, but can't find any info about them.  My Easter Egg count keeps going up as I win Portal Chips.    wth is a Portal Chip and why would you use that name if it's an Easter Egg?   And is it 1 to 1??   Thanks in advance

We've created a system that allows us to run Website contests that can interact with our game dynamically.  The "Portal Tokens" are the method by which in-game results are tracked.

You can read about the event here:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,664
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,540 battles
12 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

We've created a system that allows us to run Website contests that can interact with our game dynamically.  The "Portal Tokens" are the method by which in-game results are tracked.

You can read about the event here:

No you have overcomplicated things by requiring the use of a website instead of tracking in the game and on top of that, it isn't even implemented well. 

  • Cool 5
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,856
[WOLFC]
Members
6,101 posts
17,230 battles
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yes.  I have zero idea why they used the names.  And yes its 1-1.

Portal tokens were the currency utilized during the Fuso camo event a few months back, and everyone who had any tokens left over from that got a “portal tokens reset” message in game at the beginning of the patch.

WG simply reused the existing system for this event.

Edited by Nevermore135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,449
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles
2 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

No you have overcomplicated things by requiring the use of a website instead of tracking in the game and on top of that, it isn't even implemented well. 

In-game stuff is certainly the most user friendly, but having a web-version that is capable of running events and getting out prizes gives us more versatility.  Core events will always be in-game as game stuff is mapped out months in advance.

-

Implementation problems can happen when new technology is being used.  This is our second use of this system and it's already much improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,664
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,540 battles
5 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

In-game stuff is certainly the most user friendly, but having a web-version that is capable of running events and getting out prizes gives us more versatility.  Core events will always be in-game as game stuff is mapped out months in advance.

-

Implementation problems can happen when new technology is being used.  This is our second use of this system and it's already much improved.

New technology? LOL come on. 

All this does is drive web traffic, nothing more. It isn't convenient and as you pointed out, it isn't user friendly. If after decades of developing games, Wargaming hasn't figured out the whole "giving out prizes" thing yet, then there are bigger problems with the business. 

  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
627 posts
17,152 battles
45 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

We've created a system that allows us to run Website contests that can interact with our game dynamically.  The "Portal Tokens" are the method by which in-game results are tracked.

You can read about the event here:

 

 

BUT I'm not winning Portal Tokens!!  I'm winning Portal Chips!

Maybe this is why I can't get a new car?   All the Chips went into this event?

Or they were named "Chips" because you can't have just one??  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,449
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles
7 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

BUT I'm not winning Portal Tokens!!  I'm winning Portal Chips!

Maybe this is why I can't get a new car?   All the Chips went into this event?

Or they were named "Chips" because you can't have just one??  lol

In our inventory system they're called "Saltpeter" :Smile_teethhappy:

-

I realize is comes off as complicated, but it's nicer for us to have extra events for folks than not.  This way allows you to see your progress which is cool <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,013
[SUB4]
Members
1,714 posts
13,140 battles
5 hours ago, Ahskance said:

In our inventory system they're called "Saltpeter" :Smile_teethhappy:

-

I realize is comes off as complicated, but it's nicer for us to have extra events for folks than not.  This way allows you to see your progress which is cool <3

Definitely. I did so much better since the last torpedo duel event. In Savage Battles I actually knew what I was doing but the last time I was little better than a slap fighter, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,603
[WMD]
Members
2,132 posts
13,055 battles
7 hours ago, Ahskance said:

In our inventory system they're called "Saltpeter" :Smile_teethhappy:

-

I realize is comes off as complicated, but it's nicer for us to have extra events for folks than not.  This way allows you to see your progress which is cool <3

This really comes across as "don't complain, we could give you less..." 

Hardly sems like a good way to communicate with customers, particularly in a time of economic uncertainty. 

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,449
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles
6 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

This really comes across as "don't complain, we could give you less..." 

Hardly sems like a good way to communicate with customers, particularly in a time of economic uncertainty. 

It shouldn't come across that way.  The system is designed to allow us to be able to run more events and giveaways than we otherwise could.  That's why we've made it.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
15 hours ago, Ahskance said:

In our inventory system they're called "Saltpeter" :Smile_teethhappy:

-

I realize is comes off as complicated, but it's nicer for us to have extra events for folks than not.  This way allows you to see your progress which is cool <3

I have learned to always stay away from saltpeter for obvious reasons. I cannot have a major malfunction. LOL:cap_win::cap_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
681
[SOCOM]
Members
910 posts
32,074 battles
18 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Easter is a Christian holiday....  I would suspect to not infuriate the other 4,200 +/- several hundred identified religions.  I could be wrong but, that would mean that our host2 isn't communicating internally and as we all know, that never happens...

My what thin skinned peoples. Easter for some is just eggs candy and easter bunny ( there is no easter bunny Santa Claus told me so). It is only a Christian event if you follow those beliefs. Myself I look at Easter as a day of independence when I was freed from sin, for others its just a Kids holiday with candy and eggs and stuff. It is only a Christian Holiday if you participate, and BELIEVE. If not it is just another holiday.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
638
[REKTD]
Members
1,216 posts
15,730 battles

I look at it like since it is directing traffic to the website, they use a web portal, hence the name. Could be complete imagination on my part; the first impression I had was the old Halloween event portals!

16 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

New technology? LOL come on. 

All this does is drive web traffic, nothing more. It isn't convenient and as you pointed out, it isn't user friendly. If after decades of developing games, Wargaming hasn't figured out the whole "giving out prizes" thing yet, then there are bigger problems with the business. 

All true, but I’ll add one more “isn’t”: It isn’t mandatory. WG wants to increase web traffic so they devised this program. Let them, they have to make money somehow, and the allure of their “Random Battles” is not what it used to be. I will participate as I like the rewards, and am on the website daily as it is. Just an extra tab open on the iPad now. 
___

What is sad is that thousands of Coal I will get will allow me another Coal Ship; but I don’t get as much out of playing all these ships anymore. Hopefully they slow the roll out of new ships and invest some effort in the game itself. Maybe use web traffic funds for new maps or Operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,927
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,310 posts
23,640 battles
19 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Easter is a Christian holiday....  I would suspect to not infuriate the other 4,200 +/- several hundred identified religions.  I could be wrong but, that would mean that our host2 isn't communicating internally and as we all know, that never happens...

To "Take offence" is a voluntary act. Just in case you walk around offended all the time. 

Happy Resurrection day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55
[L-S-D]
Members
251 posts
57,072 battles

Would be nice if the stupid thing actually gave you the prizes. I'm at 415+ and still haven't got any prizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,231
[-AGW-]
Members
754 posts
47,284 battles
2 hours ago, Saint06 said:

Would be nice if the stupid thing actually gave you the prizes. I'm at 415+ and still haven't got any prizes.

The giving of prizes will probably happen as the next cycle starts - ie April 19th

Here's another quetion to ponder, If you get 800 eggs before April 19th, do you get 2 x the 400 eggs prize?

Just saw the answer in a pinned  thread: You loose anything over 400 eggs on the 19th - the max is 400 eggs per cycle.

Edited by Musket22
Added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483
[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,327 battles
20 hours ago, Ahskance said:

In our inventory system they're called "Saltpeter" :Smile_teethhappy:

-

I realize is comes off as complicated, but it's nicer for us to have extra events for folks than not.  This way allows you to see your progress which is cool <3

I now want it changed on the public facing to Saltpeters :fish_viking:That is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,158
[WOLFG]
Members
17,119 posts
20,503 battles

I think the only problem with this is the news article is going to drop down with new articles being added meaning you have to go dig to find it while in port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,449
[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,525 battles
5 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I think the only problem with this is the news article is going to drop down with new articles being added meaning you have to go dig to find it while in port.

Typically we bump news articles that stay relevant.  Ideally it'll be bumped before the next Sprint as well.  If not, drop me a ping and I can poke our web folks~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×