Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BornInChicago

Stay with the group or go lone wolf as a sub?

6 comments in this topic

Members
82 posts

What is the most helpful way to play subs in their current state?

Be just in front of a group of team mates and fire torps? 

Or go out alone and try to hunt things down?

How have you had most of your success?

• Meh 1

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,604 posts
16,531 battles
10 minutes ago, BornInChicago said:

I tend to play mine as a frontline support.  Some try to slip off and do solo hunting, but if they get caught away from their team they can be run down.

• Thanks 1

Members
63 posts
23,608 battles
49 minutes ago, BornInChicago said:

Keep subs in port and let the rest of the 22 players enjoy the match! Only 2 ways to play sub effectively… be where the enemy not expecting and cause chaos… or be where the enemy is expecting you and laugh when they can’t touch you… ascend point blank and torp. Rinse and repeat. Subs are so broken so if you don’t play subs using their detection flaws… then you are playing them wrong

• Cool 1
  • Meh 3

[DKDRS]
Members
36 posts
2,388 battles

Playing with the team is mutually beneficial. The surface ships can AA down some of the depth charge planes, ward off deck depth charge runs, draw the focus away from you, and spot for you. You similarly distract for your surface ships, but you also force the enemy to maneuver to dodge torpedoes, helping out your team.

Even more importantly, subs cannot duel each other on any sort of equal ground with any aware surface ships around them. If you have a single BB near you that will ASW Plane, or a cruiser or DD close that aren't suppressed, there's nothing your opponent sub can do except die if you engage him in a protracted duel. The exception is if he kills you before you all kill him, and then drops off hydrophone spotting, which is hard. Little in my five hundred or so games with submarines has been as deadly as a surface and depth team against a lone sub.

If someone gets you on hydro and yours is on cooldown, you can always try to surface if there's nobody in spotting range, it'll get you out of the spotting of hydrophone (but note the sub can still see your 'shadow')

If you must use homing torpedoes, I recommend firing one and waiting a period of time before firing the next one, if the situation permits. They're trivial to dodge, but you can wear down an enemy's speed and hit them anyway if you conga line them and the enemy is determined to wiggle. You will probably get hatemail for doing this, especially if you run a BB to the edge of the map with it.

The only time I go lone sub is when there's a CV that must die. They tend to lack enough situational awareness that they sit still. 

Edited by Archetype_404
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

Members
82 posts
7 hours ago, Archetype_404 said:

Playing with the team is mutually beneficial. The surface ships can AA down some of the depth charge planes, ward off deck depth charge runs, draw the focus away from you, and spot for you. You similarly distract for your surface ships, but you also force the enemy to maneuver to dodge torpedoes, helping out your team.

Even more importantly, subs cannot duel each other on any sort of equal ground with any aware surface ships around them. If you have a single BB near you that will ASW Plane, or a cruiser or DD close that aren't suppressed, there's nothing your opponent sub can do except die if you engage him in a protracted duel. The exception is if he kills you before you all kill him, and then drops off hydrophone spotting, which is hard. Little in my five hundred or so games with submarines has been as deadly as a surface and depth team against a lone sub.

If someone gets you on hydro and yours is on cooldown, you can always try to surface if there's nobody in spotting range, it'll get you out of the spotting of hydrophone (but note the sub can still see your 'shadow')

If you must use homing torpedoes, I recommend firing one and waiting a period of time before firing the next one, if the situation permits. They're trivial to dodge, but you can wear down an enemy's speed and hit them anyway if you conga line them and the enemy is determined to wiggle. You will probably get hatemail for doing this, especially if you run a BB to the edge of the map with it.

The only time I go lone sub is when there's a CV that must die. They tend to lack enough situational awareness that they sit still. 

Very helpful advice from an experienced WOWS submariner. Thank you. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
214 posts
6,215 battles

When I set out nowadays I try to make sure something is around to gun down any destroyers I might run into. Not doing so means I'm taking a risk and should be ready to bail.

Usually sides are mirrored, so I'll assume if I travel forward I'm going to run into an enemy submarine or any other ship classes I'm deployed beside.

I also try to pay attention to where the destroyers are. If they're far away I feel safer going alone.

When entering a cap I try to use it as an indicator if enemy ships are close. If contested I'll go to periscope depth to find out who I'm opposing, then get ready to crash dive if I can't handle them. If I can I'll ping them then switch to homing torps.

Sign in to follow this