Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JSFWRX85

USS Hornet is in Premium Shop

19 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
812 posts
1,713 battles

Save your money and wait for two weeks to see what real players ( not streamers) think about it.

In the games where I have encountered it (and there have sometimes been two in a Random) the users have been complaining in chat that the planes seem like they are made of paper and are getting shot down easily.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
11,590 battles

For me, it was a no-brainer.  For everyone else, you're just paying for the Doolittle Raiders, to be perfectly honest.  No rocket planes, the dive bombers drop AP, and the TB's are really meh.  Basically a T6-ish carrier with the Army Airforce along for the ride.  The B-25's do a fair amount of damage, assuming you get your target under the reticle.  I'm talking something like an Iowa, like in my last co-op game.

If you're on the fence, I'd wait a bit for more  hands-on reviews to come out.

[BONKS]
Members
4,814 posts
52 battles

From all accounts I know the ship is awful. The AP bombs are such a small caliber that they can bounce on superstructures, they're also level bombers so their theoretically high penetration is almost entirely wasted by poor fall angles. This leaves the TBs as its only viable weapon and they're not particularly great either. B-25s are very picky with their targets due to poor penetration (42mm) and have meh accuracy, the circular drop means you don't care much about angling but it also guarantees that a fair amount of your bombs will miss.

This makes Hornet overall one of the weakest T8 CVs. If you're concerned about ship performance, Hornet is a no go.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,307 posts
23,632 battles

Hmm going to get it for sure but I might wait a month. I will drop some cash on the Dockyard first... maybe do both not sure yet.

[APOC]
Members
130 posts
11,059 battles

I had a few games in the Hornet and can say that I am disappointed. I wont write a paragraph on how this Cv can't compete due to extremely slow planes that get shredded because of that fact. I might be able to over look the fact that the Hornet does not have tools to deal with dds and low to medium damage overall if they didn't cruise at water truck speed. I would 100% take the t6 Russian Cv over what I experienced today. I truly feel that this Cv should be a T6. When I play against a Hornet in a different Cv the easy counter is going to snipe it  because it is going to take him two and a half games to reach my Cv .

Edited by ShipXforXBrains

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

WG and fumbling the design of famous, historical ships. Name a more iconic pair. :cap_old:

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles

The thought of using Tier VI planes against Tier X ships does not appeal.  No idea why WG decided to equip Hornet with prewar planes and put it at Tier VIII, but in doing so they crippled the ship.  I cannot imagine a way in which that would be a fun experience.

I missed out on getting Enterprise and I am not interested in Tier X premium CVs.  I am disappointed that WG has chosen to release a fundamentally miserable CV as the replacement for Enterprise.

Oh, yeah, there is Saipan, no.  Do not want.

I will continue waiting for a decent American premium CV.  Sadly this day is not that day.

• Thanks 2

[APOC]
Members
130 posts
11,059 battles
2 hours ago, Helstrem said:

The thought of using Tier VI planes against Tier X ships does not appeal.  No idea why WG decided to equip Hornet with prewar planes and put it at Tier VIII, but in doing so they crippled the ship.  I cannot imagine a way in which that would be a fun experience.

I missed out on getting Enterprise and I am not interested in Tier X premium CVs.  I am disappointed that WG has chosen to release a fundamentally miserable CV as the replacement for Enterprise.

Oh, yeah, there is Saipan, no.  Do not want.

I will continue waiting for a decent American premium CV.  Sadly this day is not that day.

I could not agree more. 

[BIG_E]
Members
654 posts
5,172 battles

WG stirred the hornets' nest and now we have a bunch of them all over the place.

Members
1,267 posts
3,660 battles

I want this ship for historical reasons (as well as the other Hornet being the museum ship closest to where I live), but I see no reason why I should buy Hornet before I get Kaga or Chkalov, which is unfortunate. Cool ship, but I'll pass. 

[APOC]
Members
130 posts
11,059 battles

I really think in it's current state it could be renamed the House fly or possibly the Honey bee. 

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles
3 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

WG and fumbling the design of famous, historical ships. Name a more iconic pair. :cap_old:

To be fair, the first Hornet CV’s only real claim to fame was launching the Doolittle Raiders. Her contribution to Midway was sending her planes off in the wrong direction. Though she did help render Shokaku combat incapable before being sunk at Santa Cruz.

[3ND-A]
Members
40 posts
23,419 battles

I bought it too out of pride. Bad mistake. T8 ship, T6 AC drawn into t9 battles. 

People, don't waste your hard earned money.

[PVE]
Members
17,085 posts
39,277 battles

I just got it and it isn't horrible. It isn't great either. But not horrible.

The biggest issue I have is how freaking slow the planes are. That's fine for a T6 like Ark Royal that is on smaller maps with some slower ships but at T8 Hornet sees much bigger maps and almost everything is fast. I think the slow plane speed is too much of a balancing factor.

The TB and DB planes are weak (survivability and damage dealing) vs T8-T10. The B25's hit really hard but are the only good offense it has and it is very limited. The TB and DB planes regen fast which helps offset them being weak for the tier but that speed. OY! Buff the plane speeds and I think the ship becomes much better.

Sign in to follow this