Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

CV Derangement Syndrome

36 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

I just watched a teammate spend three minutes shooting at a CV while the low-health Shimakaze, also in his gunfire range, slowly killed him. He ended up sinking neither of them and getting sunk himself.

image.thumb.png.b3d19a298559bbec45780ef3f4a6d479.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 9
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 2

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,611 posts
16,549 battles

The tunnel vision can be real!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFD]
Members
976 posts
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I just watched a teammate spend three minutes shooting at a CV while the low-health Shimakaze, also in his gunfire range, slowly killed him. He ended up sinking neither of them and getting sunk himself.

neither derangement syndrome or tunnel vision.  I hate CVs that much, if there is one to shoot at that is the only thing I will shoot. 

They get to attack me with impunity, endless planes and I often have zero ability to fight back.  When I do get the chance, they will know it!

CV are only slightly better than subs in this game.  It is why I almost never play anymore, CVs + subs in the same match, means I just do not care how it turns out and therefore do not care about winning, loosing, or anything to do with the game.  WG will either come to their senses and start to fix stuff or they won't.  I no longer spend money on this game and CVs are the main reason why. 

• Cool 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 8
  • Meh 3

[WOLFC]
Members
6,105 posts
17,255 battles
54 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Sadly, a lot of players fail to realize that there are often much more important and immediately threatening targets to neutralize than the enemy CV. If you can land some long-range shots early to damage or destroy the CV that’s all well and good, but as the match develops it is often more important to sink other ships first. A CV can be a great force multiplier over the course of a game, but for the most part they lack the immediate threat of an alpha strike or map presence that characterize surface combatants. I’ve seen many matches lost because ships that needed to be put down immediately were spared and allowed to make big plays because of poor target selection.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 2

Members
2,007 posts

It's normal. Players usually go full-stupid the second they see aircraft or a CV. Doesn't matter how purple or 733t they think they are. They all do the exact same thing. Focus the CV, regardless of who's shooting at them.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,167 posts
35,208 battles
25 minutes ago, AXELGREASE said:

neither derangement syndrome or tunnel vision.  I hate CVs that much, if there is one to shoot at that is the only thing I will shoot. 

They get to attack me with impunity, endless planes and I often have zero ability to fight back.  When I do get the chance, they will know it!

Except if you stomp the low health cockroach, killing the CV becomes that much easier.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,116 battles
20 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

If you can land some long-range shots early to damage or destroy the CV that’s all well and good

Destroy...yes...always well & good.

Damage...

Not always so well & good.

CVs can take Adrenalin Rush too...& the more damage you cause without destroying them the better off for it they are...

& the worse off for it you (& your team are)...if the CV has AR anyway.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLFC]
Members
6,105 posts
17,255 battles
2 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

CVs can take Adrenalin Rush too...& the more damage you cause without destroying them the better off for it they are...

& the worse off for it you (& your team are)...if the CV has AR anyway.

CVs have not been able to take Adrenaline Rush since the skill rework.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,141 posts
12,577 battles

I'm reminded of a win (think around 2019?) where I baited some HE fire a few times in my Taiho. Enemy team was dumb enough to stop slamming my teammates and ended up losing the match.

Yeah,  keep CV derangement syndrome in the manuals.

• Boring 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,353 posts
9,639 battles
1 hour ago, AXELGREASE said:

Says he doesn't have CV derangement, then goes on to describe himself having CV derangement.....

I mean, sure, shoot the CV when one gets a chance, I do it to, but when presented with a higher threat, high value target that is closer, kill that first.  If your hatred of CVs prevents you from adjusting to tactical needs, that would indicate the presence of the aforementioned CV derangement.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,673 posts
19,276 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, some tomatoes refuse to admit that they are tomatoes because of their own ineptitude.

They will insist that the CV be the highest priority even when there are more immediate priorities/threats.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Yeah, some tomatoes refuse to admit that they are tomatoes because of their own ineptitude.

They will insist that the CV be the highest priority even when there are more immediate priorities/threats.

It's a lot like the castaway who starved to death trying to stalk and shoot a wild pig to eat, all the while stomping edible herbs, tubers, and grubs under his boots.

• Cool 1

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,469 battles
46 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's a lot like the castaway who starved to death trying to stalk and shoot a wild pig to eat, all the while stomping edible herbs, tubers, and grubs under his boots.

Oooh, I like that one, nice. Of course I won't remember it when I can use it lol.

[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
4,343 posts
26,811 battles

hey I'll have you know ima  happily deranged person playing CV LOL

• Boring 1

[TORCH]
Members
829 posts
8,354 battles

Can't condone it...but completely understand it....even more so because it was a SCV/Eagle...

[XG]
Members
539 posts
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

If he was having fun that's all that matters. /mic

[WPORT]
Members
20,802 posts
22,691 battles
Spoiler
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Priceless.  :Smile_veryhappy:

[WOLFD]
Members
976 posts
11 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Says he doesn't have CV derangement, then goes on to describe himself having CV derangement.....

I mean, sure, shoot the CV when one gets a chance, I do it to, but when presented with a higher threat, high value target that is closer, kill that first.  If your hatred of CVs prevents you from adjusting to tactical needs, that would indicate the presence of the aforementioned CV derangement.

when in visual range of CV, it IS the highest threat target!  DDs dodge to well to land reliable hits at that range considering a 30 + second reload, means one miss and your dead anyways because the CV driver is sending planes your way. The BB driver made the correct choice go for the easy to hit and kill target that can do the most damage to your team, not just your ship. 

I am not deranged, I know exactly what I am doing and why.  The very definition of acting purposefully, with intention and understanding, describes how I act.  Not even closed to deranged.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves; so are you delusional?  Do you really think I lose my mind when I se a CV, or do you believe I act intentionally? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[DMGS]
Members
673 posts
9,536 battles
13 hours ago, AXELGREASE said:

CV are only slightly better than subs in this game.  It is why I almost never play anymore, CVs + subs in the same match, means I just do not care how it turns out and therefore do not care about winning, loosing, or anything to do with the game.  WG will either come to their senses and start to fix stuff or they won't.  I no longer spend money on this game and CVs are the main reason why. 

Way to prove the OP's point lol

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,506 posts
10,225 battles
15 hours ago, AXELGREASE said:

CV are only slightly better than subs in this game

You break my heart mate :Smile_sad: ... Do Subs kill you too much?

• Meh 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,353 posts
9,639 battles
1 hour ago, AXELGREASE said:

when in visual range of CV, it IS the highest threat target!  DDs dodge to well to land reliable hits at that range considering a 30 + second reload, means one miss and your dead anyways because the CV driver is sending planes your way. The BB driver made the correct choice go for the easy to hit and kill target that can do the most damage to your team, not just your ship. 

I am not deranged, I know exactly what I am doing and why.  The very definition of acting purposefully, with intention and understanding, describes how I act.  Not even closed to deranged.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves; so are you delusional?  Do you really think I lose my mind when I se a CV, or do you believe I act intentionally? 

It is not nearly that simple.  A nearly dead Shimakaze at short range is much more important to sink than damaging a CV.  Only if the CV is also almost sunk should you maybe go for the CV.  In the OP's example the player ignored said Shimakaze in favor of the CV, killed neither and was sunk by the Shimakaze.  In this case the Shimakaze was clearly the highest threat target, demonstrated by its sinking of said player, and should have been the player's focus.  Once the Shimakaze was out of the way the CV could be had at will. 

One issue I have with your view is that you massively overstate CV effectiveness.  They simply do not have the kind of alpha strike needed to be counted as the highest threat target.  You do have CV derangement and each post you've made in this thread simply emphasizes that more than the last.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
6,313 posts
8,036 battles

At the end of the day, it's all about target priority. CVs are wonderful targets of opportunity when they DO show up, BUT double-check other, more dangerous targets first before chasing after CVs. That said, if you CAN take out the CV (and it's a single CV match) then it's potentially a big advantage for your team : ) But again though, priorities. If that DD is RIGHT there at 1/4 health, you hit that first!!

Members
3,366 posts
3,065 battles
15 hours ago, AXELGREASE said:

I hate CVs that much, if there is one to shoot at that is the only thing I will shoot. 

They get to attack me with impunity, endless planes and I often have zero ability to fight back.  When I do get the chance, they will know it

I hope you are NEVER on my team. 

2 hours ago, AXELGREASE said:

The very definition of acting purposefully, with intention and understanding, describes how I act.  Not even closed to deranged.  Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves; so are you delusional?  Do you really think I lose my mind when I se a CV, or do you believe I act intentionally? 

Having intention doesn't make one any less stupid. 

• Boring 1

[KAG2]
Members
2,248 posts
37,062 battles
41 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

It is not nearly that simple.  A nearly dead Shimakaze at short range is much more important to sink than damaging a CV.  Only if the CV is also almost sunk should you maybe go for the CV.  In the OP's example the player ignored said Shimakaze in favor of the CV, killed neither and was sunk by the Shimakaze.  In this case the Shimakaze was clearly the highest threat target, demonstrated by its sinking of said player, and should have been the player's focus.  Once the Shimakaze was out of the way the CV could be had at will. 

One issue I have with your view is that you massively overstate CV effectiveness.  They simply do not have the kind of alpha strike needed to be counted as the highest threat target.  You do have CV derangement and each post you've made in this thread simply emphasizes that more than the last.

Except it wasn't short range

Members
991 posts
7,926 battles

That's almost exactly what the officers in the Battle of Coral Sea were saying. An entire naval battle and no one on any ship ever saw an enemy ship. I guess if you are going to have a WW II Naval game it makes sense for here to be CVs. If anything, WOWS has severely limited the CV involvement compared to what really happened in the Pacific during WW II.

Sign in to follow this