Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kataclysms

A not so serious rant about dispersion

7 comments in this topic

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles

This is not a call for nerfs or buffs or anything just a small personal rant. I swear this mechanic makes me wanna rip my hair out at times. Shooting a ship 10km away, aim your shot, predicting where hes gonna be and 3 of the shells just decide they want to go for a swim and veer off to the side and this happens for like 3 salvos before you get a tight grouping. Again, Not calling for buffs/nerfs to dispersion I know why its in the game, its just the mechanic makes me want to eat my hands, feet and my ship in that order sometimes when it decides to go "f you, your not hitting anything for the next couple of shots".

Edited by Kataclysms

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
12 minutes ago, Kataclysms said:

This is not a call for nerfs or buffs or anything just a small personal rant. I swear this mechanic makes me wanna rip my hair out at times. Shooting a ship 10km away, aim your shot, predicting where hes gonna be and 3 of the shells just decide they want to go for a swim and veer off to the side and this happens for like 3 salvos before you get a tight grouping. Again, Not calling for buffs/nerfs to dispersion I know why its in the game, its just the mechanic makes me want to eat my hands, feet and my ship in that order sometimes when it decides to go "f you, your not hitting anything for the next couple of shots".

Show us a replay of your example... Many are interested in the visuals as well.

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles

I actually tried to clip what happened but the second I hit F8 I realized medal wasn't on. Basically. Satsuma in a fight with a Musashi within 10km-12km, both bow on, musashi kiting. Shot 2 different front slavos at him, 4 shells each and 3 of the shells on the first two salvos flew off to the side with only 1 striking each. The third actually did a tighter grouping but lordy. But like I said, no calls for nerfs/buffs, just aggravation sometimes when dispersion decides to say FU in this game at times.

Edited by Kataclysms

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

We saw the same thing in shooter games.

Take a M240 machine gun, enter a subway corridor near say a elevator bank where the enemy is coming. Set up and wait for enemy to come out of the elevator at 30 feet. Close enough to kill but not so close that they can frag you with a grenade before coming out. (And vice versa)

If you fired the machine gun into a wall, the game makes decals in the form of bullet holes. Generally a 8 foot circle at 20 feet then slowly fills in that circle at random. Not too terribly accurate from a hip shooting position. Which is why sometimes when ten enemies come out of the elevator dead to rights survive a full 200 rounds magazine fired all over them. You will nick a few maybe kill one or two outright. But eventually you get deleted.

Then your team has a problem when they cap the objective you were trying to defend. You eventually had two choices. First is a common behavior. Get prone 5 doors down from the elevator bank, set your machine gun up on the tripod and delete the whole mess coming out when the ding signals their entry. OR...

If caught in the open and you know you cannot hit anything long enough to survive, you instantly go prone from full speed running. This meta is called Porposing. Like dolphins breaking water ahead of your ship, you instantly flop down to the ground and gain the really tiny RNG needed to really engage and end the oncoming threat to you. Soon everyone would go dolphin diving instantly and finally forced the Developers to nerf the ability to instantly go prone among other things.

Some servers started banning use of tripods. If you tried to deploy a tripod it is assumed by the AI Admin that you intend to dolphin dive which is now a banned behavior in the server. You got auto kicked and thats the end of the game for you.

In Wows, the rounds you shoot does not arrive where it will matter until you get really close. Like say 3000 yards or closer. That makes the possible dispersion or random impact zone smaller than the actual hull of the enemy ship. The closer the better.

Thats why Wows by Weegee learned never to give the effective secondaries that matter. Such as some of the German Ships that are really efficent in harvesting people in randoms by the dozen just with giggle inducing killing secondaries.

The one fantasy or behavior I learned to dispose of in Wows my first year was the idea that I can open fire on something at 20 miles and watch the rounds simply delete the yammy. So beautiful it makes one weep to watch it.

Aint happening bub. And so the game coding influences the physical behavior of the human to get really close to where you do matter. Otherwise you are just sound and fury, decoration for others who are actually having fun sinking stuff and other humans on the red team trying to sink them.

Thats why you hardly never see say Italian Battleships in the game. They simply do not shoot well enough to matter. Its a futile waste and a tragety to throw away such wonderful creations of Italian Military Power when you get farmed by 12 people who know you cannot hit anything enough to matter on any of them at near or far ranges.

In other words you are a target to be farmed.

Dont be that target. be in something accurate enough to be lethal and dangerous. Then go hunting. But you are not going be doing that from 20 miles away. That went out with the removal of the dead eye perk that caused no end of teeth gnashing and hair pulling in wows for a time.

Edited by xHeavy

Members
6,892 posts
14,881 battles

I worked up a CA line and took a break from my JB.  When I went back to the JB the dispersion REALLY seems to be messed up.  Zoomed in and watching where the shells were going and the spread was covering more than half of the screen.  Shots that start wide and continue to go wider.  Far less seem - yes I said SEEM - to group closer together.  There is nothing I can hang my hat on and with the patch today I won't be able to look at any past replay.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,928 posts
8,973 battles
7 hours ago, Kataclysms said:

It's common practise to fire your guns off at the start of the match to get your gunners eyes in, and also to honour RNGesus. 

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles
1 hour ago, HyperFish said:

It's common practise to fire your guns off at the start of the match to get your gunners eyes in, and also to honour RNGesus. 

Hahaha. You must sacrifice shells for the rngjesus

Sign in to follow this