Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kataclysms

What happened to Zao?

11 comments in this topic

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles

So I've been looking this up a lot But I do know that I rarely come across Zao. Why is that? What makes Zao unfavorable vs other cruisers now days?

[WORX]
Members
16,978 posts
22,074 battles
56 minutes ago, Kataclysms said:

So I've been looking this up a lot But I do know that I rarely come across Zao. Why is that? What makes Zao unfavorable vs other cruisers now days?

IMO, Its a relic of a bygone meta..

Those who can play her do.. Its just like a time machine to a different game with you play a ZAO..

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,313 battles

Fourth from bottom or twenty-first as far as win rate, eleventh in damage, yet fourth as far as battle count goes. That says a lot right there. She is also twentieth for average XP and eleventh for frags.

image.thumb.png.b78ccbf04faf2a46de616b7fff31e7a2.png

image.thumb.png.a2328361a89769de8b3f9728085f35c0.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

Zao has been powercrept, both by the addition of more specialized cruisers, as well as changes in other ship types that have encroached on some of its historical strengths or advantages. It's also saddled with usability weaknesses, like slow turret traverse and bad firing angles, which have largely been abandoned as a balancing factor in more recent ship designs.

Edited by SuperSSL

[NMKJT]
Members
4,282 posts
9,133 battles
8 hours ago, SuperSSL said:

It's also saddled with usability weaknesses, like slow turret traverse and bad firing angles, which have largely been abandoned as a balancing factor in more recent ship designs.

That's still not a bad design flaw for BBs (better than bad reload). But for a high tier cruiser in the environment we got today? Nah lol. That's asking to be forced into useless ranges cause you're too clumsy to fight closer. Zao just feels really mediocre even if the guns are still good in and of themselves.

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles

That kinda bites. I grinded the line only to really get research bureau but I took Zao out to test and the non-existent dispersion on shots is unreal lol.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
On 4/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, Kataclysms said:

That kinda bites. I grinded the line only to really get research bureau but I took Zao out to test and the non-existent dispersion on shots is unreal lol.

This is horribly wrong as accuracy is something Zao excels at.  Her dispersion is better than Cruiser dispersion.  A while back WG buffed the IJN Heavy Cruisers to have Zao accuracy.

Members
62 posts
1,650 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This is horribly wrong as accuracy is something Zao excels at.  Her dispersion is better than Cruiser dispersion.  A while back WG buffed the IJN Heavy Cruisers to have Zao accuracy.

Oh no no. Im sorry I worded that really badly. I meant by that yes she is ultra accurate and her dispersion is basically non-existant. If I aim my shots go where they're supposed to to instead of feeling like I have to pray for WG RNGJesus.

[AXANR]
Members
318 posts
4,385 battles
On 4/14/2022 at 1:50 AM, Sovereigndawg said:

Fourth from bottom or twenty-first as far as win rate, eleventh in damage, yet fourth as far as battle count goes. That says a lot right there. She is also twentieth for average XP and eleventh for frags.

image.thumb.png.b78ccbf04faf2a46de616b7fff31e7a2.png

image.thumb.png.a2328361a89769de8b3f9728085f35c0.png

It interesting to note that ALL 3 Japanese Cruisers are at the bottom 5 in the list and also have the last position as a nation in this chart WR, this says allot indeed.

Beta Testers
29 posts
13,819 battles

I really love my Zao...even with current meta.  I feel people make the same mistake in it...they sail broadside to open up all guns and get crapped on.  If you duck and weave, spam HE like a MF....Zao excels at accuracy, fire starting and over all annoyance to the enemy.

[WAMMY]
Members
2,811 posts
17,406 battles

Hey

For me, I think Yoshino (in both variants) is far better than Zao as a kiting cruiser, it's more tanky, does more damage, better torp angles, better torps, better gun range, better armor.  If only the Zao had 15km torps then those would be more useful.  Certainly feels more like T9 by todays meta.

Pete

Sign in to follow this