You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

So…FR25?

20 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

So, did anyone pick this ship up? Is she fun and/or competitive? 

[NOKAP]
Members
1,058 posts
25,566 battles

Most people who reviewed her,  say the ship was not for them. Pass on the boat.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
3,172 posts
9,066 battles

Mehbote as Littlewhitemouse would have said long ago. I think this ship is situational at best. One can have fun in co op or scenarios with it, but not randoms or ranked. 

[WOLFX]
Members
813 posts
1,713 battles

Gets easily deleted in Ranked.

[WOLF9]
Members
2,317 posts
35,833 battles

Coop main.  I don't recall ever seeing one in a coop match yet.

I am wary of most of these RM Premium ships.  I was very interested in the RM navy and was getting all of them, but after Gorizia, Leone, and Marco Polo, I wait until the ship has been released and played a bit before getting it.  This is the reason I did not get Verdi.

Paolo Emilio is an exception.  She is an awesome boat.

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
173 posts
14,226 battles

Everyone thinks the sap is its nitch its really not other DD will out DPM you because the reload is bad. Where she really shines is the fuel smoke with French torps but you only get 6 but you should hit all 6 using fuel smoke. So comparing wise its a tier 7 Palo.  Tier 7 DD's as a whole are very weak. Compared to other tier 7 DD the FR25 is pretty good. When compared to the game its just a ok boat pretty avrg. I noticed if you run with another DD it helps and guarantees your yolo runs because they should have the spots for you. Best advice she is fast, stay out of trouble early she can gets  out ahead fast and that can get you in trouble. Stay patient and take those swings at the BBs with fuel smoke and take what the game gives you.  Def a nitch boat but that nitch is pretty fun imo but everyone I know hates this ship lol.

Edited by OppressorUnion
  • Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
1,935 posts
23,534 battles

I have the FR25 and use it only in coop - where it is very effective.  I like it, however, there are caveats.  

• It needs an 11 point captain at a minimum.  I have Grease the Gears, Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Survivability Expert and Fearless Brawler skills on my 11 pointer.  Grease the Gears and Fearless Brawler are especially important for this ship and the rest are the usual DD build.  Concealment is not that important in coop, so I will add it later.    
  • It plays very, VERY differently from most other DDs.  It is a bad knife fighter because of the slow reload and poor turn radius, so keeping some distance from targets is important.  I try to stay 4 km or a little better away from everything.  The only exception is if I have a drive-by chance using the high speed smoke.  The torps, by the way, do decent damage, if short ranged at 6 km.  
  • The SAP guns hit very hard, especially against other DDs, but you need the distance to stay alive.  
  • It isn't a great ship, but it is not nearly as bad as some people will have you believe.  I agree with the statement that it does not work well in randoms, but it can be very productive in coop.  I like other DDs better, but I needed an Italian trainer and the FR25 is not bad for that. 

@kyesac I play a lot of coop, you just have not seen me in a match.  I do agree that it is not very popular and I rarely see another FR25.  

• Thanks 1

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
667 posts
3,097 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

I call her the "true april fools joke"
not a good ship

• Funny 1

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,577 posts
17,526 battles
2 hours ago, Elijah2159 said:

I call her the "true april fools joke"
not a good ship

She's marginally better than Leone. Then again, when was the last time you heard someone praising the strengths of Leone?

And she is an April Fools joke. She even released on April 1st.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

Well, weeks later I decided to bite the bullet and pick the ship up. Early impressions after a handful of games: She's what your stuck with when you ask your mom for Paolo Emilio, and she says that you have Paolo Emilio at home. I hate her gunnery, and I'm still trying to get a handle on her synergies (it doesn't help that I was out of the game for three months). I'll post more about her if I discover/realize anything of note.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
On 4/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, kyesac said:

Coop main.  I don't recall ever seeing one in a coop match yet.

I am wary of most of these RM Premium ships.  I was very interested in the RM navy and was getting all of them, but after Gorizia, Leone, and Marco Polo, I wait until the ship has been released and played a bit before getting it.  This is the reason I did not get Verdi.

Paolo Emilio is an exception.  She is an awesome boat.

Outside the quite OP (and out of circulation) Giulio Cesar, Italian Premium Ships have a terribly spotty record in the game.

V Genova - Mediocre, in a tier where ITA Cruisers are plain bleh in general.

VI Leone - Nope!

VI Duca d'Aosta - Fast, spammy.  Passable as a Tier VI CL but not exactly first choice material.

VII FR25 - Nope!

VII Abruzzi - From LWM's review of the ship:

QSSX7Sf.gif&key=2dba4ac7ca97e9a6af346604

VII Gorizia - Ehh... You got Zara in the Tech Tree already.

VIII Roma - Trolls both the player and the enemy.  Highly unreliable gunnery.  She has an exposed Citadel that makes her totally unforgiving for any mistakes, but skilled play can cover that issue up to a good degree.  But there is nothing you can do with how trollish her guns are.

VIII AL Littorio - An Azur Lane-ified version of Littorio.  However, WG art department got real lazy.  So lazy that she has Roma's nameplate on her.  Every time I can, I bring this up.  It is an unbelievably lazy job, and people paid for this.

IX Yolo Emilio - Weird but works in its envelope.

IX Marco Polo - Mehtastic.  So much potential for Battleship SAP shells that had 406mm Overmatch advantages, but done in by bad Italian BB Dispersion and awful reload.  WG went out of its way to make sure you can't enjoy 406mm SAP.

IX G.Verdi - SAP Secondaries but not long ranged (same as an Iowa), not as accurate, and main battery accuracy is godawful.

X Napoli - Good "Large Cruiser."

Really, WG went out of their way to make Italian ships in general problematic.  Was there some Italian dude that wronged someone high up in WG or Lesta to merit so many Italian ships getting dumped on?  I mean, DUDE, they even screwed up the Italian Battleship Line, and it's almost impossible to screw BB Lines up!  There has never been a bad BB Line until the Italians came out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[NLI]
Beta Testers
396 posts
11,564 battles

Thank you....been waiting for this thread.   Saving my doubloons.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
2,317 posts
35,833 battles
8 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Outside the quite OP (and out of circulation) Giulio Cesar, Italian Premium Ships have a terribly spotty record in the game.

VI Leone - Nope!

VI Duca d'Aosta - Fast, spammy.  Passable as a Tier VI CL but not exactly first choice material.

VII FR25 - Nope!

VIII Roma - Trolls both the player and the enemy.  Highly unreliable gunnery.  She has an exposed Citadel that makes her totally unforgiving for any mistakes, but skilled play can cover that issue up to a good degree.  But there is nothing you can do with how trollish her guns are.

VIII AL Littorio - An Azur Lane-ified version of Littorio.  However, WG art department got real lazy.  So lazy that she has Roma's nameplate on her.  Every time I can, I bring this up.  It is an unbelievably lazy job, and people paid for this.

IX Marco Polo - Mehtastic.  So much potential for Battleship SAP shells that had 406mm Overmatch advantages, but done in by bad Italian BB Dispersion and awful reload.  WG went out of its way to make sure you can't enjoy 406mm SAP.

IX G.Verdi - SAP Secondaries but not long ranged (same as an Iowa), not as accurate, and main battery accuracy is godawful.

Really, WG went out of their way to make Italian ships in general problematic.  Was there some Italian dude that wronged someone high up in WG or Lesta to merit so many Italian ships getting dumped on?  I mean, DUDE, they even screwed up the Italian Battleship Line, and it's almost impossible to screw BB Lines up!  There has never been a bad BB Line until the Italians came out.

I have to agree that most of the RM premium ships are meh at best.  I like the RM for some reason, so I own most of them.

I do have and like the GC, Roma, PE, and Napoli.  I have all of the others (not sure on Goriza - I may have sold that turkey years ago) except the Verdi (I have the MP and I feel like I suffered enough) and the Al Littorio.  Sadly, I will pass on the FR25 as well.

I like the PE a lot because it does have a role that not many other DDs have in this game and I enjoy that.  Plus it is ungodly fast.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
16 minutes ago, kyesac said:

I have to agree that most of the RM premium ships are meh at best.  I like the RM for some reason, so I own most of them.

I do have and like the GC, Roma, PE, and Napoli.  I have all of the others (not sure on Goriza - I may have sold that turkey years ago) except the Verdi (I have the MP and I feel like I suffered enough) and the Al Littorio.  Sadly, I will pass on the FR25 as well.

I like the PE a lot because it does have a role that not many other DDs have in this game and I enjoy that.  Plus it is ungodly fast.

Thanks for the reminder about Napoli, I forgot her on my list.

Maybe the Italians will eventually get their day of having better Premium Ship releases.  The German Lines had a long period of bad or mediocre releases until Mainz arrived, then things got more interesting for them.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
On 4/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, SkaerKrow said:

Early impressions after a handful of games: She's what your stuck with when you ask your mom for Paolo Emilio, and she says that you have Paolo Emilio at home

LOL this statement...thanks for the laugh.

[LRM]
Members
1,806 posts
18,044 battles
On 4/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, SkaerKrow said:

I will get it for free soon, it is in the community token T7 containers for 30k comm. tokens. I already have 29k and my only options are FR25 and Maya, so in a few days I get one, and after a while the other :P

Edited by crazyrom

[ARGSY]
Members
1,079 posts
14,769 battles

I got her. She actually works very well in ranked as it is not as cluttered and you can move around with your speed. If you can take out a bb or ca early in ranked with a YOLO it has a big impact on the game. Randoms, she just does not feel very good.

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
400 posts
14,405 battles
On 4/30/2022 at 4:43 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

VI Leone - Nope!

VII FR25 - Nope!

X Napoli - Good "Large Cruiser."

Marco Polo can troll you at times, however she is very potent when used correctly. The 406 sap is very powerful, when the dispersion works the damage is absolutely hilarious on multiple hits and significant even on only one or two. In my experience, she does very well but she requires an experienced captain at the helm. Also switching between SAP and AP when necessary is important get the most out of her.

She isn’t a ship for new players without question and she will do poorly in the hands of someone inexperienced.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles
1 hour ago, MBT808 said:

Marco Polo can troll you at times, however she is very potent when used correctly. The 406 sap is very powerful, when the dispersion works the damage is absolutely hilarious on multiple hits and significant even on only one or two. In my experience, she does very well but she requires an experienced captain at the helm. Also switching between SAP and AP when necessary is important get the most out of her.

She isn’t a ship for new players without question and she will do poorly in the hands of someone inexperienced.

If you get down to it, the Tech Tree (and Marco Polo) Italian Battleship shells are actually quite good.

SAP when used right, and hits the right sections, is very effective, especially against Cruisers.  Very high damage values.  If you can Pen, it's going to be great damage.  SAP does not Overpen like AP does.

Italian BB Armor Piercing shells are very strong for their size.  Good damage and fantastic Penetration.  Great in Penetrating or Citadeling heavy armor threats.

The only issue is against DDs.

Outside the SAP damage cap against Destroyers, their shells are actually very good.  You have good shells to use against Cruiser and Battleship targets.  But it's all up to the wild inaccuracy of the guns, the worst BB dispersion model in the game (shared with French Battleships), and slow reload (but not the Kansas-Vermont levels of slow).  There's only so much ASM1 and good player marksmanship can do when dealing with ITA Battleships and their wild accuracy issues, coupled with slow reloads.  I know Battleships as a whole already deal with dispersion and RNG, it's just that WG made doubly sure the Italians got kicked in the balls several times.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway