You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Admiral_Murrel

Halland Gunboat Build - Advisable?

6 comments in this topic

Wiki Editor
1,016 posts
5,481 battles

Hey captains, 

Just curious if there's anyone out there that runs and would recommend a gunboat build on the Halland? I've been playing the new Italian DDs, and have discovered that I enjoy gunboat DDs. I like being able to dictate the terms of engagement with enemy DDs, kill them, and then dictate the tempo of the game through cap domination. Is this playstyle possible with the Halland? I realize it's probably not as efficient as a torpedo build, but... would a gunboat build work? 

Thanks in advance,

Murrel

[-THG-]
Members
2,628 posts
8,022 battles

Halland lack the smoke, the dpm and the agility to make it relevant in my opinion. You can try it (anyway, her torpedo reload time is already quite short) but I suspect it will not be that great.

[HE]
Members
1,182 posts
9,364 battles

Gunboat is the recommended build

However, even with gun build, Halland is not a ship that is designed to take on other DDs of the same tier. Play Smaland for that.

Kills and map pressure are magnitudes more effective at controlling a game's tempo than caps

• Thanks 2

[-NACL]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,697 posts
28,327 battles
1 hour ago, Grand_Admiral_Murrel said:

Hey captains, 

Just curious if there's anyone out there that runs and would recommend a gunboat build on the Halland? I've been playing the new Italian DDs, and have discovered that I enjoy gunboat DDs. I like being able to dictate the terms of engagement with enemy DDs, kill them, and then dictate the tempo of the game through cap domination. Is this playstyle possible with the Halland? I realize it's probably not as efficient as a torpedo build, but... would a gunboat build work? 

Thanks in advance,

Murrel

As Dolphin stated, it is the recommended build,  but intentionally going in to gunfights is not the best way to play the line. It’s fairly squishy, and although one of the fastest firing (1.50s with max gun build) ships, it’s raw damage isn’t all that high.  

While it does have a heal, it’s probably best used to recover from an engagement that you didn’t initiate… i.e. being caught out by another DD and having to fight until you got dark again.

If you build for torp reload, you can still have 2.00s reload (still fast as heck) while getting your torp reload down to Z-46 levels. Adrenaline Rush helps with both of those as well, the more damaged you end up.

• Thanks 1

Wiki Editor
1,016 posts
5,481 battles
40 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Gunboat is the recommended build

However, even with gun build, Halland is not a ship that is designed to take on other DDs of the same tier. Play Smaland for that.

Kills and map pressure are magnitudes more effective at controlling a game's tempo than caps

Thanks for the advice!