Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SunkCostFallacy

Torpedo arming distance

15 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
256 posts
12,193 battles

Has anyone been a bit suspect of being torped by bot cruisers this patch?

A couple of times now I've been forced to press close to a bot Jinan to try to get inside the torpedo arming distance ... and have been killed when I'm sure I'm too close for the torpedos to be armed.

Frankly I'd log a bug, but twice could just be me being mistaken.

@Boggzy and/or @Ahskance might be able to answer this ... what IS the arming distance supposed to be on the Jinan?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,714 posts
26,569 battles

Replay might help

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,105 posts
30,874 battles

Ship launched torpedoes tend to have pretty short arming distances compared to air dropped ones.  Some torpedo bombers have very long arming distances for their torps.  IJN CV players have to drop their fish pretty far away.  The bots still have a real tough time in dropping torps from the air correctly.

Ship launched ones? You have to be so close that there's a real risk of ramming if you want to get hit before the torps arm.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
256 posts
12,193 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ship launched ones? You have to be so close that there's a real risk of ramming if you want to get hit before the torps arm.

True. It may be that I wasn't close enough.

But I hope that we can get an answer to what the arming distance actually is ... because I was very close.

[WOLFG]
Members
17,103 posts
20,447 battles
19 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I've pulled it off before, but more often than not it is a ram.

• Cool 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,498 posts
8,467 battles
30 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You have to almost trade paint and the bots have a nasty habit of turning into you if you get that close. I have pulled it off on occasion but it's pretty dicey.

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,585 posts
16,516 battles
1 hour ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Has anyone been a bit suspect of being torped by bot cruisers this patch?

A couple of times now I've been forced to press close to a bot Jinan to try to get inside the torpedo arming distance ... and have been killed when I'm sure I'm too close for the torpedos to be armed.

Frankly I'd log a bug, but twice could just be me being mistaken.

@Boggzy and/or @Ahskance might be able to answer this ... what IS the arming distance supposed to be on the Jinan?

Arming distances for Surface Ships are quite low.  As others have said, you have to be almost rubbing sides in terms of closeness.

If you have a Replay, that's the easy way to review something strange.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
256 posts
12,193 battles
21 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I've pulled it off before, but more often than not it is a ram. 

7 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

You have to almost trade paint and the bots have a nasty habit of turning into you if you get that close. I have pulled it off on occasion but it's pretty dicey. 

5 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Arming distances for Surface Ships are quite low.  As others have said, you have to be almost rubbing sides in terms of closeness.

I've done it a few times ... the bots seem a bit ram happy these days, which is normally how it goes if I screw up.

I wasn't quite scraping paint, so I may have been too far. Normally when I get away with it I can hardly see the gap between the two ships ... these times, I could see the gap. So probably just me not quite pulling it off.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,436 posts
17,212 battles

I was able to avoid being torped by a bot the other day by basically being as close as possible without contact (ram). I had no other choice and it miraculously worked....but I sure would not to have to thread this needle all the time....

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles

I've deliberately gotten inside the torpedo arming-distance of a variety of ships, as a way to avoid damage from their torpedoes.  It's a valid tactic.

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
1,493 posts
15,636 battles

I present to you this clip of Boggzy embarassing himself by thinking torpedo arming distances are shorter than they are: 

https://clips.twitch.tv/MildSullenCoffeeDBstyle-Xf8X0Ybe6iEeCjq1

So while they may have short arming times, one shall not underestimate the power of depth-perception.

• Funny 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,869 posts
27,039 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've deliberately gotten inside the torpedo arming-distance of a variety of ships, as a way to avoid damage from their torpedoes.  It's a valid tactic.

And often the only way you will survive. The other option is to take a full set of torps (where you probably sink) so the potential for a ram (which should sink the red cruiser) is an acceptable risk.

Done (and attempted) this often myself.

You do have to be close enough that your crew is throwing rocks at the other ship.

I think you can actually hear the red ship launching torps as you drive by.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Thanks 1

[SUB4]
Members
1,704 posts
13,033 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Any tactic that keeps you alive is a valid tactic.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,653 posts
22,604 battles
10 hours ago, MN1234 said:

Any tactic that keeps you alive is a valid tactic.

344643012_Thanks_WorldofWarships_trophy-icon_03-23-2022_.jpg.70cb4cb1318b2480cb48c13db8d932ac.jpg

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this