You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Konception

4/12/22 - New Player Captain’s Log: Up Close and Personal

102 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
293 posts
519 battles

Greetings Captains, 

Welcome to this week’s edition of the New Player Captain's Log! For those of you who aren't sure what this is or what it might do, feel free to check out the introductory post here.

Without further ado, let’s proceed with Week 11 (which is really Week 13 but we don’t have to talk about it :Smile_hiding:)!

Accomplishments
Here’s a list of personal milestones that I hit during the week:

1. Played a few more Savage Battles
2. Had an introductory lesson on Submarines

Focus Points of the Week
As I mentioned in my hiatus post, I had to deal with some personal emergencies these past few weeks that required virtually all of my attention outside of work. I had a vacation planned that I ended up having to scrap due to these emergencies as well, so as you can imagine there wasn’t a lot of time to play and apply new strategies. I’m hopeful to pick up at my usual pace next week. 

Savage Battles
I continued my foray into the wild lands of Savage Battles a bit more over the last few weeks. I still really loved how fast pace it is, and I especially enjoy the squadron feel of 3v3v3v3 as opposed to the regular two team game types. That being said, I continue to be just terrible with DDs. I’m not sure if the speed is too much for me to handle at the moment (ironic, considering my background as a speedrunner) or if I am just more of a long distance type of player, but regardless I still have a good time playing it even if I get clapped most of the time. I will say this has made me want to put more time into DDs going forward so I can be more of a diverse player, so look forward to that in the future!

Introduction to Submarines
With subs coming back in 0.11.2, it seemed like a good time to finally familiarize myself with submarines. I still do not have any games played in them (I actually don’t even have access to a submarine at the time of writing this) but I sat down with my good buddy @Ahskance to learn their fundamentals and potential play styles in a fun demonstration. I am genuinely curious as to whether or not subs will be for me; in other games I have enjoyed the up-close, shotgun approach but there are a lot of nuances to subs that may make it difficult for me to play them effectively. I think the concept of stealth play and resource management seems like an interesting challenge, but can't be sure until I get my hands on one. All I can do is work on unlocking one this week and see for myself!

I think that about covers it this week! I know it’s a bit shorter than normal and slightly different in format, but I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read these. I also want to remind everyone that the New Player Captain’s Log is also designed to be a place for new players to reply with their experiences or seek advice as well, so feel free to reply with any thoughts, questions or advice you might have.

See you next week for some more New Player musings. Fair winds and following seas! :cap_horn:

• Cool 10
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 12

[N0CAP]
Members
17 posts
20,427 battles

2. Had an introductory lesson on Submarines.

Worst idea ever to bring that stupid class to this game....no more reading for me, so i can say i only get to point 2. I personally would like to see the results of the subs pool. 

• Cool 12
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 5

[HEROS]
Members
2 posts
5,172 battles

subs is broken they can ping all the time and keep shooting torps. this is why most people are against them being in the game so am I for i'm a retire navy mam and know sub can not do the things there doing this is unsat. and needs to be fixed. 

• Cool 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Boring 4

[TOOL]
Members
3 posts
2,973 battles

This week i got banned from chat for expressing my displeasure with weekend warriors. GOD IT FELT GREAT! WORTH IT. Havent touched a sub since it launched. Thought about it then i remembered, this is world of WARSHIPS, I couldnt bring myself to be one of those guys. I then checked out WOW's newst gimmick designed to rid you of all your $$$. Again, decided NAH, keeping my $ in my pocket.

I experimented with camping, A LOT. Oddly, I've had one of my better weeks in WOW in a long time, from camping center. I rarely play BB's. Sub-par player here with no regrets.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 1

[BRAV0]
Members
5 posts
14,517 battles

I saw a nice sub strategy while watching the match complete after i died.  The sub launched about 5 torps, but not in a straight line at the target.  He waited until the torps were well on their way to ping the target, causing the torps to home in.  This way the target could not follow the torps tracks back to the sub.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1 post
1,573 battles

I've been playing around 4 months now. Accumulated 50+ Ships with 2 tier X and doing well. I do have to say this second round of subs that i'm in has been rough. A decent sub captain can average 3-4 kills in a match alone. Ive been in too many matches where the sub has reasonably dominated. I had a game myself playing subs and had almost 20 torp hits. Suffice it to say its really hard to miss. The only times that happens for me is if they are far enough out to go around an island. Subs are way too accurate this round. i dont mind if they have mild tracking but this round they really cant miss. No real need for dumbfire torps when you have ping lockon. TLDR: Subs are overpowered. Edit - I play mostly random.

Edited by ClarionsCall
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

[BRAV0]
Members
5 posts
14,517 battles

Welcome to WOWs.  When I was a new player, I spent a lot of time in tier 3 matches.  I mostly played cruisers.  I wish I started playing battleships sooner as they are my favorite.

• Thanks 1

[RNGRS]
Beta Testers
106 posts
6,965 battles

I love playing Subs since the new updates. Underwater times are good. They make being a CV a nightmare. I am primarily a CV Skipper in Random. Playing Subs in Coop is really fun!! Thank you for adding them!!

Edited by Mavrick101a
  • Cool 4
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 15

[TOOL]
Members
3 posts
2,973 battles
2 minutes ago, platterman said:

I saw a nice sub strategy while watching the match complete after i died.  The sub launched about 5 torps, but not in a straight line at the target.  He waited until the torps were well on their way to ping the target, causing the torps to home in.  This way the target could not follow the torps tracks back to the sub.

Yea, check out Panzerknacker (YT) one of his latest vids highlights a sub doing just that. Extremely effective.

• Cool 3

[BTSS]
Members
5 posts
9,042 battles

I find subs in the same category as CV's meaning I will only play them when a mission call for them.   I do not see WG getting rid of subs at because they have too much time and money invested in them

• Cool 1

[ARKAB]
Members
23 posts
3,205 battles
22 minutes ago, Henry_59_1 said:

subs is broken they can ping all the time and keep shooting torps. this is why most people are against them being in the game so am I for i'm a retire navy mam and know sub can not do the things there doing this is unsat. and needs to be fixed. 

I completely concur - for there to be a non-stop stream of torpedos and endless pinging (yet in reverse it is so so so hard to activate a sub to "do so")

i got penalized for expressing pain at subs to - so double whammy - not fun they need to really work on mechanics 

as by example we do not have the capacity to target a ship with guns and they just endlessly fire salvo and salvo and salvo into a ship with no further aiming at machine-gun speeds - so this is very very aptly put indeed "fix subs" yup

• Cool 4

[ARKAB]
Members
23 posts
3,205 battles
On 4/12/2022 at 3:34 PM, BADFISHI said:

This week i got banned from chat for expressing my displeasure with weekend warriors. GOD IT FELT GREAT! WORTH IT. Havent touched a sub since it launched. Thought about it then i remembered, this is world of WARSHIPS, I couldnt bring myself to be one of those guys. I then checked out WOW's newst gimmick designed to rid you of all your $$$. Again, decided NAH, keeping my $ in my pocket.

I experimented with camping, A LOT. Oddly, I've had one of my better weeks in WOW in a long time, from camping center. I rarely play BB's. Sub-par player here with no regrets.

I expressed displeasure about subs in game and got punished with a ban as well - funny that eh?  "free to express our opinion - unless we express our opinion" LOL.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[CE]
Members
34 posts
3,832 battles
2 hours ago, Konception said:

Introduction to Submarines
With subs coming back in 0.11.2, it seemed like a good time to finally familiarize myself with submarines. I still do not have any games played in them (I actually don’t even have access to a submarine at the time of writing this) but I sat down with my good buddy @Ahskance to learn their fundamentals and potential play styles in a fun demonstration. I am genuinely curious as to whether or not subs will be for me; in other games I have enjoyed the up-close, shotgun approach but there are a lot of nuances to subs that may make it difficult for me to play them effectively. I think the concept of stealth play and resource management seems like an interesting challenge, but can't be sure until I get my hands on one. All I can do is work on unlocking one this week and see for myself!

You definitely should play submarines and see if they are the class for you, but a lot of the more experienced players on the forums unfortunately won't be able to give you that much class-specific advice as submarines are still very new and filled with exploit heavy gameplay that obfuscates what "proper play" in the future with them will look like. 

As for whether or not they are for you, I have some doubts about whether the class will completely jive with you considering how much you seemed to struggle with destroyers. Submarines are a lot more tanky and stealthy than destroyers, but have a much harder time changing their position. I think of them as a kind of tanky, uber-stealthy torpedo destroyer that can't disengage once they commit.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 2

[PAPI]
Members
18 posts

Subs would be more acceptable if they did away with the homing torps and increased their detectability a bit.  If they aren't going to deep-six homing torps, then limit the number of pings allowed against each ship, and the sub should be penalized for using more than one ping for aiming by increasing the sub's detectability after the second ping.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[TCB]
Members
12 posts
3,089 battles

Having subs in the game is like trying to play speed chess while your opponent's sugared-up 8-year-old throws darts at your face.

But like, in a BAD way... :Smile_unsure:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[BPGSS]
Members
2 posts
7,673 battles

I do not mind the idea of subs in game but they need to be fixed. Any ship that can surface 1 km from a BB (with out being detected) shoot 5 torps that are hitting you as you alarm is going off .and re-submerge is a non-defensible attack. There needs to be some sort of min detection for defenders vs the sub. maybe even a delay before launch once surfaced, minimum launch distance. Also ships that have attack flights  once activated cannot be dropped that close to your boat which also lends to the fact this kind of attack has no recourse.

• Cool 2

[REDZ]
[REDZ]
Members
46 posts
25,857 battles

2. Had an introductory lesson on Submarines.

How do i now Unparticipate?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
293 posts
519 battles
1 hour ago, platterman said:

Funny you mention this, because this was a detail that Ahskance showed me in the introduction! Pretty neat strategy. 

• Meh 2

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
293 posts
519 battles
1 hour ago, platterman said:

Welcome to WOWs.  When I was a new player, I spent a lot of time in tier 3 matches.  I mostly played cruisers.  I wish I started playing battleships sooner as they are my favorite.

Thank you! I am also primarily a BB main, and while I grinded the US Line (Montana) to Tier X, I plan on working on German BBs and hovering in the low-to-mid tiers to get my skills up. 

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
293 posts
519 battles
45 minutes ago, Urza3142 said:

As for whether or not they are for you, I have some doubts about whether the class will completely jive with you considering how much you seemed to struggle with destroyers. Submarines are a lot more tanky and stealthy than destroyers, but have a much harder time changing their position. I think of them as a kind of tanky, uber-stealthy torpedo destroyer that can't disengage once they commit.

Hmm that is a very good point that I hadn't considered. I still plan on trying them out, but I for sure wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the class for me or would require me to get familiar with over time. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,510 posts
29,698 battles
43 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

Wow, WG adopting @Ensign_Cthulhu weekly reports. Interesting.

It has the same amount of interest value as someone tweeting their lunch. At least with Ensign Cthulhu it is someone we know and participates in the forum so there is familiarity so what he is up to is kind of interesting. 

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator
293 posts
519 battles
45 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

Wow, WG adopting @Ensign_Cthulhu weekly reports. Interesting.

This is a project I began doing not long after I started. The idea was that since @Boggzy and @Ahskance had a lot of game experience, this would be a unique way for me to familiarize myself with the game while interacting with all you awesome players out there! 

Members
7 posts
32,823 battles

Happy to hear all sides, helps to exploit weaknesses later, lol. But, really. Subs are a good addition because it teaches serious players about detection values. Flanking in a Sub is great for team play. Kraken seekers should really give it a whirl, it'l teach em patience. Subs as a spotting addition is also another great reason to accept Subs, in Division play they work as bait and Spotting assets. I look forward to more diversity in the game, ie, LST, Support Transports, and special events with Historical elements once again. Stay Tuned? o7

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2