Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BornInChicago

So you submariners feel like you really affect the game much?

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
82 posts

Look, we've all seen YouTube videos of a sub just easily roaming unspotted and shooting and pinging and racking up 100,000 plus points.  Those have to be cherry picked, because in the typical, real world games I am in,  you get spotted. And then 90% of the time the hydro comes out, and the waves of depth charge planes come, it's game over.

Occasionally the target of opportunity comes to you and you can get some good damage. But more often, I find, it is sparse unless you YOLO in to get close to the battles, and then get squashed.

You cannot get too close to the action or you get spotted. You cannot fire your POWERFUL conventional torps unless you are <6 km at periscope depth. Then what? You are close to the action and you have used your air to get close for making the conventional torp run. You have maybe half your air to go hide, but soon enough there are red ships close enough to detect and kill you if you pop up when you need air.

You cannot travel far in 2 mins underwater.

Edited by BornInChicago
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,591
[PVE]
Members
10,582 posts
28,883 battles
1 hour ago, BornInChicago said:

Look, we've all seen YouTube videos of a sub just easily roaming unspotted and shooting and pinging and racking up 100,000 plus points.  Those have to be cherry picked, because in the typical, real world games I am in,  you get spotted. And then 90% of the time the hydro comes out, and the waves of depth charge planes come, it's game over.

Occasionally the target of opportunity comes to you and you can get some good damage. But more often, I find, it is sparse unless you YOLO in to get close to the battles, and then get squashed.

You cannot get too close to the action or you get spotted. You cannot fire your POWERFUL conventional torps unless you are <6 km at periscope depth. Then what? You are close to the action and you have used your air making the conventional torp run. You have maybe half your air to go hide, but soon enough there are red ships close enough to detect and kill you if you pop up when you need air.

You cannot travel far in 2 mins underwater.

If your at 6km already you can just back off a little more & come all the way up & not be spotted & charge back up...you can get decent charge build back up before the torps even get there...

Granted...all my experience in them was on the PTS (so smaller teams with 1/2 the teams bots)...but the torps actually go farther than 6km... so you don't even have to go to periscope depth to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,752
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,611 posts
13,552 battles

Submarines are opportunistic disruptors. They can't really bully, because they are too fragile, but what they are really great at is punishing players who over-extend. That's probably why some players hate them so much. They magnify mistakes and punish them severely, and no one likes being reminded of their flaws.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,484
Members
1,746 posts
45,058 battles

Fear not!  The WG gods will buff your sub so it will do incredible damage and thus give you a felling of rhapsodic joy!  The rest of the skimmers, well to bad.

For what ever reason, WG is bound and determined to add subs, no matter what a portion of the player base thinks, get used to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
82 posts
11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

...but the torps actually go farther than 6km... so you don't even have to go to periscope depth to use them.

I was talking about the conventional torps. They go 6.3 km.

And when you are at periscope depth that close, you can get spotted. Red ships send out the hydro and planes.

Edited by BornInChicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,119
[WPORT]
Members
16,766 posts
20,082 battles

Learning to play a Submarine well, in the current game circumstances, is a worthwhile challenge (with emphasis on the word challenge).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,591
[PVE]
Members
10,582 posts
28,883 battles
14 hours ago, BornInChicago said:

I was talking about the conventional torps. They go 6.3 km.

And when you are at periscope depth that close, you can get spotted. Red ships send out the hydro and planes.

Pretty sure they went a lot farther than 6.3km on the PTS...at least 1 of them (probably T10 but don't remember...was just farming tokens so didn't pay that much attention) had 10km range...I only ran the US though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
82 posts
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Pretty sure they went a lot farther than 6.3km on the PTS...at least 1 of them (probably T10 but don't remember...was just farming tokens so didn't pay that much attention) had 10km range...I only ran the US though.

You are thinking of the long range "homing torps". The subs have those as well. They are not nearly as powerful as their conventional torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,591
[PVE]
Members
10,582 posts
28,883 battles
1 hour ago, BornInChicago said:

You are thinking of the long range "homing torps". The subs have those as well. They are not nearly as powerful as their conventional torps.

No I'm not...I wasn't using homing torps as I suck with them...I was just dumb firing those & had no problem not being able to stay surfaced most of the games w/out getting spotted.

& even with the shorter range ones you can stay up long enough to use them then drop to periscope depth right before being detected & kite away...knowing that whatever is advancing on you is going to be turning away to dodge your torps (or turning away before that) giving you a very short time you need to stay at periscope depth & allowing you to come up to recharge (& the recharge on the surface is pretty quick)...so battery drain was never an issue...or keeping things spotted...& having rear facing torps to fire off at the overeager ones after turned away didn't hurt either.

You also have enough charge to launch the fronts from just beyond detection range then dive to periscope while charging forward & dive to maximum right before getting detected & passing right underneath & going back to periscope after passing beyond periscope detection range...launching your rear torps...& surfacing after you get past standard detection range...& never get spotted.

I have very limited sub playing time (PTS mainly...except when they 1st were available for tokens in random I tried them out for a few battles) & in 8k BXP (3k in T8 & 5k in T10...against many Super ships btw) I only ran out of battery twice last PTS...& only once where I took substantial damage on account of it.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
82 posts
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I have very limited sub playing time (PTS mainly...except when they 1st were available for tokens in random I tried them out for a few battles) & in 8k BXP (3k in T8 & 5k in T10...against many Super ships btw) I only ran out of battery twice last PTS...& only once where I took substantial damage on account of it.

Interesting. Things have now changed since you gave them a try on the test server.

 

On the live server today the conventional torpedoes are at 6.3km range at T8 and T10. T6 only has the homing torpedos.

Also, I believe they have changed the dive capacity significantly lower now. Balao has about 4 minutes of air time. German subs have 6:10 at T10, but less at T8 or T6.

I wonder what they will do with subs after this current "test" is over. We will see.

 

Edited by BornInChicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
197
[NWO-1]
Volunteer Moderator
428 posts
7,212 battles
On 4/9/2022 at 8:47 AM, Turbotush said:

Fear not!  The WG gods will buff your sub so it will do incredible damage and thus give you a felling of rhapsodic joy!  The rest of the skimmers, well to bad. 

For what ever reason, WG is bound and determined to add subs, no matter what a portion of the player base thinks, get used to it.

WG has been progressively nerfing subs since they first hit the PTS two years ago.

As for the original question. As a sub I can usually quickly grab a cap and get out without being spotted. I can also commonly use my pings and torps to keep the enemy out of the cap. Many players flee when I ping and torp them. If I am skilled and lucky I can do some major damage. A good anti-sub player could wreck my game, but other then that I can be quite a menace to the reds and keep my cap ticking.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[WOLFA]
Alpha Tester
356 posts
912 battles

Its generally all or nothing, rarely you have a "average" game in subs, either you get to alpha strike a bunch of ships and rake in the damage or you do next to nothing. However I will say, with recent changes I have been able to stay hidden quite easily compared to the last testing phase, I don't think I've gone maximum depth once yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[WIB]
Beta Testers
31 posts
5,511 battles

Half my games I've felt I've contributed to the team as a sub.  Getting into the right position to help effectively is often a challenge since I feel slow, and have to be very patient and not reveal myself until I'm in position.  That set up though often lowers my damage potential since I dont contribute until the match turns hot but in doing so I've lived until the end of the match consistently.  When I do, I can help fight off the opponent, take the cap, and then move to look for more targets of opportunity that I can catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
142 posts
13,476 battles

Yes, having an impact. Still trying to figure out a few things, such as, short range vs long range torps on some subs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[CONS]
Members
13 posts
11,706 battles
On 4/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, BornInChicago said:

Look, we've all seen YouTube videos of a sub just easily roaming unspotted and shooting and pinging and racking up 100,000 plus points.  Those have to be cherry picked, because in the typical, real world games I am in,  you get spotted. And then 90% of the time the hydro comes out, and the waves of depth charge planes come, it's game over.

Occasionally the target of opportunity comes to you and you can get some good damage. But more often, I find, it is sparse unless you YOLO in to get close to the battles, and then get squashed.

You cannot get too close to the action or you get spotted. You cannot fire your POWERFUL conventional torps unless you are <6 km at periscope depth. Then what? You are close to the action and you have used your air to get close for making the conventional torp run. You have maybe half your air to go hide, but soon enough there are red ships close enough to detect and kill you if you pop up when you need air.

You cannot travel far in 2 mins underwater.

 

In tier X? Well as long as I don't charge into the enemy then I probably won't die... but then you're right I'm much more useless then. And if I do charge and live then there's a good chance I do have an impact to the game.

At tier 6? Subs absolutely have an outsized impact in the game. Assuming I don't get surprised or make a mistake then I am usually at the top of the board, if not in top 3, in a tier 6 sub.

There are a lot of ships at tier 6 who have no reply to submarines. Their airstrikes aren't far enough. In tier X that gets mitigated a lot with radar, sonar, and fast-turning turrets on cruisers and some battleships.

 

Edited by inetknght

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,648
[CLUMP]
Members
2,852 posts
2,993 battles

They are not I don't see why people are so salty at them :fish_palm: 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,025
[PAT]
Members
1,052 posts
14,347 battles
16 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

They are not I don't see why people are so salty at them :fish_palm: 

Because when they're played properly they're actually difficult to deal with.

Most players don't play them properly.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0
[WOLF6]
Members
9 posts
2,626 battles

I feel like I am able to make the opposing team have a good chuckle when I ping them and they just press "R", negating everything I've done to put myself in position.  I additionally provide good times when I dive to 60m and their planes and depth charges fall right on top of me with perfect accuracy always.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
209 posts
5,753 battles

I already like playing stealth torpedo destroyers, Submarines are an extension of that game style. I like being stealthy opportunistic strikers. I just wish they weren't being adjusted to be so tight on things... I'm still trying to figure out the strategy behind staying underwater and striking. I'm paranoid about my air now because I can't chase targets too far before being forced to retreat to safety to recover. I'd like to be a lone striker, but the limitation on air sort of suggests staying close to the fleet for cover. Going it alone, one bad run-in with a destroyer and you're done for.

They're delightfully challenging, and I enjoy what I get out of them far more than any of the other mains.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×