Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dameon

A suggestion for solution to Aim Assist...

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
9 posts
247 battles

I've been thinking over this whole aim mod issue. I was not an Alpha tester, but I read that it was originally an in-game feature. So, I had this idea that what if the aiming mod was re-implemented but finished out more. Here's the idea:

What if the "aim here" point was tied into both the ships accuracy (gun directors & guns themselves) and the crew (commander) skill? So rather than a fixed specific "aim here" pinpoint, it was more of a circle. The circle gives the general area your shells might drift/spread out and how far to lead the target, but it isn't an exact pinpoint on the target. So it gets you relatively close to being on target instead of being bang on. This is pretty similar to the aiming reticule used on WoT, only it does not condense over time as you focus on one point.

I know some people balk at the idea of the aiming assist, but remember in WoWS were are not a lone tank commander or gunner looking through the optics of a single weapon. We are driving around mobile floating artillery batteries complete with multiple rangefinders, support staffs fully equipped with firing charts and tables and in some cases even primitive computers, all tied together to a fire control center receiving and analyzing data in real time. It makes more sense that our crews could quickly relay data of the target's projected position and plot a firing solution, rather than making us look down a scope and aim our entire ship's battery "over iron sights".

Edited by Dameon

In AlfaTesters
957 posts
3,049 battles

If they do keep it, then something like this would work. I'd only add that the "circle" would shrink and become more precise with each salvo fired at that target. Would simulate the adjusting of fire and walking the shells into the target.

Beta Testers
569 posts
3,165 battles

Honestly, It's a bad idea, Like you, I only recently just started playing and I had no problems adapting to using the current aiming system just fine. I tried out the aim assist mod for a couple of hours today to see for myself if it would  benefit or hurt the game, and I feel that it honestly will only ruin this game. The developers removed the aim assist they had in the Alpha for good reasons, they should abide by that decision and ban such mods.

Overall, all an aim assist will do is have more people crying and [edited]in game and at the end of the day, it will only bring Wargaming to increase the RNG dispersion to compensate for the increased accuracy. Far better to have players actually have to take the time to learn to use a bit of their brains and simple geometry to improve their aim, then have an aim assist that then creates more problems and only hurts gunnery more in the end by having a horrible RNG dispersion added. Try playing arty in WoT and get a taste of what you are asking for now.

I removed the mod this afternoon, it only made this game a simple point and click affair and if I want that simplicity in the games I play, then I might as well just play facebook games, Im here to have my mind stimulated, I enjoy playing a BB and feel I accomplished something when my rounds find their mark, The aiming assist only takes that pleasure away.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,192 battles

I'd still say:

Baseline, in Co-op Vs. AI only. 

That'd be what I think would be the best solution.

Bots are there to let you skip terrible ships train you. 

Block the mod itself, but make it baseline for training games.

Although, this solution does raise a point. And it DOES make sense. 

Beta Testers
569 posts
3,165 battles

I'd still say:

Baseline, in Co-op Vs. AI only. 

That'd be what I think would be the best solution.

Bots are there to let you skip terrible ships train you. 

Block the mod itself, but make it baseline for training games.

Although, this solution does raise a point. And it DOES make sense. 

I disagree, since really, by having the "assist" in the co-op, you are in essence, defeating the whole purpose of the co-op room, which is to learn how to be effective with your ships in the first place.

I am disabled, with a bad back from an accident, I have already had two operations, and am looking at two more. Many people with my injuries are using crutches, canes and walkers, but when this first happened to me, my Doctor told me to avoid all of those things, deal with the pain and keep my muscles strong by walking un-assisted,  11 years later, I am still in great pain at times, but I can walk without assistance. His words to me were simple "Once you start relying on a crutch/cane/walker you will become dependent upon it the rest of your life." Just look at those folks using power chairs,they never get out of them, except to sleep and they all weigh in at 300- 600 lbs!!!! It's the same thing they become dependant.

If players start with an aim assist in co-op, they will want it in the main game, it's easy to become lazy. The aim assist is a crutch, it is best left out of the game. The co-op is there for training and getting use to new ships and weapons, not for the purpose of getting a player use to a feature he wont have in the main game, why have a player use something and get use to it when it isnt something he will have when he starts playing PvsP. Better to use co-op to prepare for the main environment without an assist he wont have later. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,164 posts

Because a massive ship with dozens of fire support personnel in a game that still effectively makes you aim over iron sights. Yeah, that's totally realistic. :rolleyes:

FYI, you're not stuck on a rail, you can manuever and fire with no problem at the same time. Having the most accurate pre-plotted firing point in the world doesn't make a lick of difference if you are not there when the shells arrive. The only adjustment I would make to the mod for fairness is if the target becomes fully obscured by smoke or land mass that you lose the plotting point. (Basically, your gunnery crew need to be able to draw line of sight to the target for the point to appear, it will not appear if the target is spotted by a scout aircraft or other warships (such as behind a smoke bank).)

Sign in to follow this