You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Elijah2159

Two ASW ship proposals

8 comments in this topic

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
592 posts

A suggestion for two new ASW-based ships

1. HMS Westcott
Basically a copy-paste of Gallant (same tier, same torps, same consumables) with the 4th turret removed (for more depth charge storage) and the 1st turret replaced with a Hedgehog ASW system

Basics of the hedgehog: A depth charge launcher that launches 24 unrotated contact fuse depth charge mortars 200 meters in front of the ship. It can be aimed by the player in a 35 degree pan to each direction based on the front of the ship. The mortars are launched up in the air for around 5 seconds until they hit the water then sink until they hit something (ideally the submarine)
Pros:
1. High Damage (Historically two mortar hits was enough to kill a submarine)
2. Can be launched in front of the ship (no more sailing over the submarine hoping its still there - you can still see the sub as you attack)
3. Can be aimed by the player (obvious advantage here - you can lead the submarine
Cons:
1. High reload time (IRL it took roughly 2-3 minutes to reload)
2. Low deployment speed and attack speed (takes 5 seconds to deploy (i.e. hit the water) and it takes 1 second to sink 5 meters)
3. Small aiming angles (35 degrees on each side of the ship from the bow)

Overall pros/cons for HMS Westcott
1. Low firepower (sacrifices two turrets)
2. High ASW potential (obvious benefit)
3. Low tier (its low tier will become a benefit later with a later suggestion I make)

Spoiler

HMS_Westcott_WWII_IWM_FL_22820.jpg.34d66cd96aba80b24aacb02147a53ab3.jpg

HMS Westcott in her late-war configuration. Note the lack of a first turret and the inclusion of a Hedgehog Anti Submarine Warfare mortar in its place 

2. USS Guadalcanal
A Casablanca-class aircraft carrier which was deployed in the Atlantic specifically to hunt submarines. She rests at T6 but with T7 planes. Her rocket attack aircraft would be replaced by aircraft armed with depth charges. All of her squadrons (depth charge, bomber, torpedo bomber) would consist of TBFs at T7. There would be 6 of them per flight and two per attack. However, there would only be 10 aircraft on-deck for each squadron. The depth charge and bomber squadrons would carry 4 bombs per plane and would drop them in a carpet-bomb like manner with stats similar to furious bombs with less fire chance (depth charge statistics would be similar to the depth charges launched by the PBY catalinas used by New Mexico). The torpedo bombers would carry the exact same torpedoes as ranger with the exact same stats.

Overall pros/cons for USS Guadalcanal
1. The potential to attack submarines (obvious advantage)
2. Small squadron size (obvious disadvantage especially with the recent introduction of more AA-based ships) and small number of aircraft on deck (every plane you lose will effect future attacks)
3. Moderate damage capabilities (Lacks a massive amount of bomb damage and lacks a large amount of torpedoes not to mention the poor attack style of the bombers / depth charge aircraft)
4. Low detectability (Its a small ship - what can I say?)
5. Slow ship speed (Slower than Colorado actually)
6. Fast aircraft replenishment time (60 seconds)

Spoiler

imageproxy.php?img=&key=44b63c92bbf32eaeimage.thumb.png.45930c121a3f2ef0f1d314a606516391.png

USS Guadalcanal in the Atlantic in 1944. Note the captured German submarine U-505 in the foreground of the image. USS Guadalcanal helped in the capture of U-505 and was credited with the destruction of three more U-Boats (Hence her 3 battle stars)

Spoiler

Want to see both of these proposals at use IRL?

Why I made this suggestion:

1. The lack of diversity of ASW armament in the game is disappointing as there were so many ASW systems used, each with their own style of attack. I hope that HMS Westcott will introduce a new ASW system to the game in a good way.
  2. The lack of protection that CVs have against Submarines is underwhelming. I hope that USS Guadalcanal will even out the playing field between Subs and CVs.

The low tiers of these ships will become controversial in another suggestion that I will be making if people like these suggestions.

What do you think! Tell me in the comments below!

To all the people that go to any post relevant to subs and instantly dislike it, I would like to hear your reasoning. I am open to feedback!

Edited by Elijah2159
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
3,196 posts
2,959 battles
1 hour ago, Elijah2159 said:

Fast ship speed (Again - its a small ship)

In what universe is a ship slower than :etc_swear:ing COLORADO considered fast?!

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
592 posts
3 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

In what universe is a ship slower than :etc_swear:ing COLORADO considered fast?!

fixed that thanks for pointing it out

Members
3,196 posts
2,959 battles
3 minutes ago, Elijah2159 said:

fixed that thanks for pointing it out

Otherwise I do like these suggestions. I do also want to point out that the Casablanca-class CVEs had the ability to deploy smokescreens, which may give the ship a better reason to be at Tier 6. What fighters would Guadalcanal use? Or would she not have any, like FDR*?

*I don't remember if FDR has fighters. I know it can't send them to patrol an area but I don't know if it has a CAP. Certainly has enough AA to make a CAP pointless.

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
592 posts
11 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Otherwise I do like these suggestions. I do also want to point out that the Casablanca-class CVEs had the ability to deploy smokescreens, which may give the ship a better reason to be at Tier 6. What fighters would Guadalcanal use? Or would she not have any, like FDR*? 

*I don't remember if FDR has fighters. I know it can't send them to patrol an area but I don't know if it has a CAP. Certainly has enough AA to make a CAP pointless.

Smoke on a CV would be epic although everyone would hate it
FDR DOES have fighters they are almost exactly like the attack aircraft (minus the rockets)

Edited by Elijah2159

Members
3,196 posts
2,959 battles
4 minutes ago, Elijah2159 said:

FDR DOES have fighters they are almost exactly like the attack aircraft (minus the fighters)

I suppose if it has forward guns and can fly, it can be a fighter. What fighters would Guadalcanal have? 

FM-2s? F6Fs? F2As? The radar version of the TBF?

[TACT]
[TACT]
Members
592 posts

The FM-2 (that’s what it carried historically) but I was thinking that the ship borne fighters could be traded out for smoke (patrol fighters would still stay the same).