Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wrath_Of_Deadguy

How *much* later, exactly? (Forrest Sherman)

19 comments in this topic

[KIVA]
Members
624 posts

"Firepower containers have chances of dropping a new ship named flag_USA_dd9fc06d19a8638f4077ab2fe200d22special_5d797363651721d76cdb3439cd23845bX Forrest Sherman..."

"The destroyer will also be available in the Armory in exchange for Coal later."

This, from the latest patch notes... Forrest Sherman was announced as a coal ship, and now she'll be released in gamble-boxes instead (5% chance of dropping a ship, but every Tier X coal ship, including GK and Khaba, and including the FXP Hayate for good measure, is on the drop list along with Sherman- so the chance to actually get Sherman might be as low as 0.5% depending on how many of the other ships you already have; I have four of the ten listed ships, so my chance to get Sherman would be 0.83%, or 1/6 of 5%... and that's assuming that the crates won't drop duplicate ships). So, if she'll be available as promised later, rather than sooner, what kind of timeline are we looking at here? The last two premium/special ships to be released initially only in crates, Oklahoma and Agincourt, took multiple months and a full year, respectively, to be available by any other means. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been saving up coal for Forrest Sherman, so... how long are we going to have to sit on the coal? A few weeks? A few months? Will it be better to just spend it on something else in the meantime and start saving up again?

Guys... c'mon. Bait-and-switch is never good for PR, even if the ship is a freebie.

• Meh 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,529 posts
3 minutes ago, Wrath_Of_Deadguy said:

This, from the latest patch notes... Forrest Sherman was announced as a coal ship, and now she'll be released in gamble-boxes instead (5% chance of dropping a ship, but every Tier X coal ship, including GK and Khaba, and including the FXP Hayate for good measure, is on the drop list along with Sherman- so the chance to actually get Sherman might be as low as 0.5% depending on how many of the other ships you already have; I have four of the ten listed ships, so my chance to get Sherman would be 0.83%, or 1/6 of 5%... and that's assuming that the crates won't drop duplicate ships). So, if she'll be available as promised later, rather than sooner, what kind of timeline are we looking at here? The last two premium/special ships to be released initially only in crates, Oklahoma and Agincourt, took multiple months and a full year, respectively, to be available by any other means. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been saving up coal for Forrest Sherman, so... how long are we going to have to sit on the coal? A few weeks? A few months? Will it be better to just spend it on something else in the meantime and start saving up again?

Guys... c'mon. Bait-and-switch is never good for PR, even if the ship is a freebie.

If this is correct, 2 weeks:

https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/final-review-u-s-tier-x-premium-destroyer-forrest-sherman/

image.thumb.png.4065d092ae7ed711b5c29e2911292ef5.png

[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts

Another thing to keep in mind.  Ships that are "featured" on the main page in the armory you can't use the coupon for.  I'd guess F. Sherman will be featured.

• Cool 1

[TAZ]
Members
1,082 posts
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

Another thing to keep in mind.  Ships that are "featured" on the main page in the armory you can't use the coupon for.  I'd guess F. Sherman will be featured.

Of course it will be featured.

[-VT-]
Members
1,022 posts
42,620 battles
26 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Umm, clarify this for me.

I have always found that ships listed in the Armory could have armory coupons used at purchase.

In my experience it was the ships on the premium site, and not specifically Armory offerings, where an armory coupon could not be used.

Since Sherman is being offered for coal then the 25% off coupon for resource ships should work, yes?

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,271 posts
16,050 battles
3 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Since Sherman is being offered for coal then the 25% off coupon for resource ships should work, yes?

When I worked in a movie theater, we had "Free Pass" coupons that customers could use on movies which had been released for 2 weeks or more.

When we release a new ship it also has a protected period where it is full value only.  After a time, the ship will be allowed to be purchased by a coupon.

I don't have a timeframe for you in regards to the Forrest Sherman, but that is a basic concept we do use in relation to our Coupons.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
8,722 posts
1 minute ago, Ahskance said:

I don't have a timeframe for you in regards to the Forrest Sherman, but that is a basic concept we do use in relation to our Coupons.

In the past featured coal ships would in that protected period until the next patch.

[-VT-]
Members
1,022 posts
42,620 battles
1 minute ago, Ahskance said:

When I worked in a movie theater, we had "Free Pass" coupons that customers could use on movies which had been released for 2 weeks or more.

When we release a new ship it also has a protected period where it is full value only.  After a time, the ship will be allowed to be purchased by a coupon.

So you are saying it will be available for coal...but you can't use the coupon when it becomes available for coal for some length of time...

~or~

Are you saying it won't be available for coal for a while but when it is you can use the coupon?

@Ahskance

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,271 posts
16,050 battles
4 minutes ago, Sabene said:

So you are saying it will be available for coal...but you can't use the coupon when it becomes available for coal for some length of time...

~or~

Are you saying it won't be available for coal for a while but when it is you can use the coupon?

@Ahskance

The ship should be available in 2 Weeks for Coal per our CCs announcing that information.

You should not expect to be able to use a Coupon on a newly released ship.

[-VT-]
Members
1,022 posts
42,620 battles

Curious.

I could see it being available for gold and no coupon use.

But to offer it for coal and no coupon use seems a little odd.

Oh well.  WG has to make their $$ to pay the bills.

I may just have to pony up the coal and save my coupon for something else...

Heh

~ Sab

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,322 posts
9,849 battles
7 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

The ship should be available in 2 Weeks for Coal per our CCs announcing that information.

You should not expect to be able to use a Coupon on a newly released ship.

So why wasn't that information part of the release information on the patch?  Having a 'will be available later' was sure to cause concern based on the situation with USS Black, and could have been avoided with the inclusion of that information that WG wanted known anyway.

Also, why would the coupon not work if the ship is being released now and any change to the means of obtaining the ship is just that, rather than a release?

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,271 posts
16,050 battles
7 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

So why wasn't that information part of the release information on the patch?  Having a 'will be available later' was sure to cause concern

We had other methods of releasing the information about her availability for Coal.  CCs were provided this information.  Part of our commitment to our CCs has us trying to find ways to help them increase their brand and reach through information and a measure of exclusivity.

In this instance, more information on our article would have alleviated this concern and would have been the easier option overall.

9 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Also, why would the coupon not work if the ship is being released now and any change to the means of obtaining the ship is just that, rather than a release?

I stated that people should not expect to use a Coupon on newly released ships.  As she will be a newly released ship even 2 weeks after the introduction of the container, I expect the Coupon will not apply to her.

[WOLFH]
Members
608 posts
30,822 battles
40 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Umm, clarify this for me.

I have always found that ships listed in the Armory could have armory coupons used at purchase.

In my experience it was the ships on the premium site, and not specifically Armory offerings, where an armory coupon could not be used.

We can not use the armoury coupons on ship bundles, only on individual ships.

Newly released ships tend to be released as bundles in the armoury on release, and are added as individual ships later.

It's been that way for a looooooooooong time.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
3,322 posts
9,849 battles
16 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

We had other methods of releasing the information about her availability for Coal.  CCs were provided this information.  Part of our commitment to our CCs has us trying to find ways to help them increase their brand and reach through information and a measure of exclusivity.

In this instance, more information on our article would have alleviated this concern and would have been the easier option overall.

Forgive me if I find the idea of playing games with information distribution unwise and worthy of suspicion.  Which source are we to believe now?  The earlier video by a CCer or the just-released official post by WG that does not confirm that information?  As already noted, WG has a past history of changing their decisions on ship releases after putting out previous information.

So who do we believe here?  Who should we go to to get the actual facts?  The CCs or WG?

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 1

[CAP]
Members
980 posts
23,997 battles
2 hours ago, Wrath_Of_Deadguy said:

Not as bad as I'd feared, then- still a little shady, though. It'd be nice if they were just up-front about this sort of thing.

Well not sure shady per say but a little monetization of a coal ship for 2 weeks because they know tons of people (like myself) are sitting on a million coal and nothing else to spend it on.

[RLGN]
Members
18,927 posts
34,444 battles

‘How long do we have to sit on the Coal…’

Until it burns a hole in your pocket?

Think I’m at a Mil+ Coal?

It shows how little interest I have in Coal ships, that I don’t know how much I have, and why I have so much I haven’t spent.

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,271 posts
16,050 battles
1 hour ago, Jakob_Knight said:

Forgive me if I find the idea of playing games with information distribution unwise and worthy of suspicion.  Which source are we to believe now?  The earlier video by a CCer or the just-released official post by WG that does not confirm that information?  As already noted, WG has a past history of changing their decisions on ship releases after putting out previous information.

So who do we believe here?  Who should we go to to get the actual facts?  The CCs or WG?

Everything is new until it's not new.  We tried something about half a year ago where we had some CCs announce new ships at a coordinated time.  CCs in all different regions got to present an exclusive to their audience.  This was followed shortly after by a DevBlog so their audience knew it was real.

In our case, internally we had a method of distribution of information (the CCs), so the person writing the article didn't include information which would be public by other means.  This was noticed and we decided to add in some information to let people know the ship would not be solely hidden behind a container.  The information added wasn't very extensive as localization can be quite a process.

---

As for confirming what our CCs have said, I am confirming that the CCs are correct.

For 2 weeks the Forrest Sherman will be available in Firepower containers only, and after that she will be also available via coal, doubloons, and also the premium shop.
  • Thanks 3