Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Greedy, stingy, no-account Wargaming!

17 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Keeps giving me free Premium time. I've been rocking a Premium account since before Halloween of last year.

image.png.7630ea8efa7c3bfb6cc26a5cd90de14c.png

Finally unlocked the Yamato!

image.thumb.png.5e654e73361196e2a997e2716f357c94.png

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

First time out in a Yamato. Sank another Yamato and would have sank a second had the match not timed out in our favor. No captain skills yet as the commander is retraining.

image.thumb.png.1c4099315e15303e8a728fe13fa107ed.png

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts

Can't say I really like the Izumo all that much but it seems to like me.

image.png.532a3ae9a2bf265e681a18944cda875d.png

• Haha 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,023 posts
42,675 battles

@Snargfargle So, umm, exactly what is wrong with receiving premium time for free?

Enquiring mind wants to know...

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Keeps giving me free Premium time. I've been rocking a Premium account since before Halloween of last year.

Ever since I got 180 days out of a Santa container, Wargaming has decided to continuously add more free premium time to my account through any way possible :cap_book:

Edited by Admiral_Bingo
  • Cool 1

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Can't say I really like the Izumo all that much but it seems to like me.

I grinded Izumo in RANKED out of all game modes.

Now here's the catch. I was too cheap on credits to consider buying upgrades so I was literally driving stock Izumo in every ranked game. The hilarious part was that that almost every ranked game that night was mostly a spree of victories, with literally every cruiser and BB deciding to show flat broadside to me.

"Ah, its just an Izumo. It can't do anything to hurt you."

Prints devstrike ribbon

Edited by Admiral_Bingo
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

"Ah, its just an Izumo. It can't do anything to hurt you."

Its diseased reputation from the early days (one which, from my reading, seemed richly deserved at the time) would seem to be working in its favour. :cap_haloween:

I also enjoyed the Izumo, but I'm well aware that I was grinding a significantly better ship than the one the alpha and beta testers screamed and swore at.

[SALVO]
Members
15,654 posts
9,795 battles
2 hours ago, Sabene said:

@Snargfargle So, umm, exactly what is wrong with receiving premium time for free?

Enquiring mind wants to know...

Decode with sarcasm...

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
16,778 posts
19,407 battles
2 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Decode with sarcasm...

Every time I decode, it says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

• Haha 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
47 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Every time I decode, it says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine"

Are you using the current version of the Ricky Ranger decoder ring?

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I have not gotten into Premium time for money in almost two years now.

For one reason or another tons of premmie time falls into my lap. A couple of days ago 5 days was issued. Today one day. No complaining here.

I damn near bought a year but found the price to be 200.00 with special flags and frankly erm... no. I dont think I have a year anyway. SO I'll noodle along using what premmies there is.

In my work we call that riding the Gravy Train. Its nice when you are on one. Enjoy.

[-HUGS]
Members
874 posts
12,502 battles

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Its diseased reputation from the early days (one which, from my reading, seemed richly deserved at the time) would seem to be working in its favour. :cap_haloween:

I also enjoyed the Izumo, but I'm well aware that I was grinding a significantly better ship than the one the alpha and beta testers screamed and swore at.

There may be a reason why that reputation is sticking though...
I hated the current Izumo at first, but I started to like it this weekend, after a respec. And thus, I think I can understand why some people hate it; it may be a result of how people have built their IJN captain with Amagi and the previous battleships.
I used the recommended skills from the game interface since Fuso, and I used to do good without the need for a full concealment build. With Izumo, that won't be competitive enough for most of the games MM will throw your way in randoms. But  it worked fine until Amagi... And I suppose it could work again with Yamato, due to the better accuracy and penetration at range.

See, Izumo main guns aren't reliable enough at 19-20km to punish opponents with enough consistency IMHO (unless broadside), and if you move closer, you risk getting perma spotted too easily (15.7km concealment when you don't get concealment expert). The ships is one of the largest and clunkiest T9 BB so HE spammers love you with passion it seems; you get hit from max range with so little efforts... CVs as well. And in the current meta, you get strong T10-T9 HE spammers in like 75% of the battles played.  CVs in about 25% of the games. Sometimes, you get both.

I eventually figured out, and got concealment expert + FP. And even so, I went for BoS instead of adrenaline rush due to not having enough skill points for emergency repair expert at this point.   But I get better results (more games with 100k dmg), as a result of being able to play a solid 2km closer, while retaining the ability to go dark when properly positioned. It's just too critical with this ship and much more so than with any other T9 BB I played (I still miss Alsace and Lepanto though). I can only suppose a lot of people hit the same wall. Some will spend the doubloons/ECXP and test different builds, some won't and will just move up to Yamato and find the performance at range sufficient enough to compensate for the lack of concealment expert. That's my theory....

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,612 posts
9,995 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You are not wrong. I went full bore IJN to T10 pretty quickly in both CV and BB lines....to say the Izzy was dreadful is an understatement.

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles

Izumo is a gud 'Bote.
Yamato is a gud 'Bote.

I'm grateful to have each of them in my Port.

Congratulations to you, @Snargfargle.  :cap_like:

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[WOLFD]
Members
130 posts
7,719 battles

Izumo is a pretty decent ship. Positioning is everything. If you get caught out in it, HE spammers can and will farm you for days. It was not until I got a bit more in game experience under my belt and it got some QoL buffs, that I started to appreciate it a bit more. The grind through old Izumo made getting to Yamato that much sweeter.  Somehow (A mission maybe?) I ended up with the Godawful ugly Izumo clone. Besides a camo that makes my eyes bleed, it is not a bad ship. Enjoy Yamato, it is a good boat!

• Cool 1

Members
119 posts
9,423 battles
5 hours ago, Mr_Argamas said:

I used the recommended skills from the game interface

And that's your problem.  Many of those are just objectively bad or dumb.  There are really only a handful of full builds that work with each class, so just kind of learn those and ignore the advice WG gives you when building a captain.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
5,882 posts
7,687 battles
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

First time out in a Yamato. Sank another Yamato and would have sank a second had the match not timed out in our favor. No captain skills yet as the commander is retraining.

image.thumb.png.1c4099315e15303e8a728fe13fa107ed.png

sailor-moon-clap.gif.419aa11955f70074192a0a11f214038a.gif

• Haha 1