You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Questions for Khabarovsk users, PvE and PvP.

17 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles

OK, so... three days until she goes live as a T10 "special"/premium, and my intent is to spend coal and get Kuznetsov for her so I can run stupid risks (mostly in co-op) and benefit from the last-gasp regeneration talent. 

1) Since Kuznetsov starts with 10 points and I will be working him up the slow way (my ECXP has other priorities right now), what's the best 10 points to start with? He will essentially be built for Khaba with no consideration required for suitability to other RU destroyers (I have other commanders for those). Specifically, can I and should I sacrifice Concealment Expert in favour of gun range?

2) How would you develop him from there, in order of skills acquired?

3) Since the Khaba will be basically his one and only DD command, it seems to make sense to get him BEFORE she changes over and put him in her immediately. He will have to be "retrained" (since he comes specced for the Orlan), but once the Khaba hits "special" status that will cease to matter from the POV of having his skills active.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
5,183 posts
41,758 battles

Why do you want to limit Kuznetsov to a special ship?  It seems the best use would be to put him on your favorite tech tree ship and then transfer him in when you want to play the Khab.

For co-op:

GtG, PM, LS, AR, SE

NOTE:  This is only for the current meta where the AI aiming is still significantly diminished. 

• Cool 3

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,428 posts
17,182 battles

I'd agree with Hampton -- buying Kuznetsov just for a special/premium ship and not using him for any other ship seems like a waste. Yes, there's the issue of him only being a 10 pointer compared to a potentially higher leveled one on a tech tree ship, but it still seems inefficient.

That being said, for co-op exclusively, I'd probably use something like this:

565835085_Khabarovsk-Co-op.png.ac44d285f7bfbdaa94714983cffdae93.png

Concealment is pretty much worthless in co-op (obviously), and for a ship as gun-focused as Khaba, you'll probably always be detected anyway so there's no need to reduce your concealment. If the bots get more accurate, that might change, but I still think I'd go with something along these lines. In terms of skill order, you could probably swap GtG and AFT, and maybe drop BFT for torpedo reload if you want.

3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Since the Khaba will be basically his one and only DD command, it seems to make sense to get him BEFORE she changes over and put him in her immediately.

If you want him to be specialized for a premium ship, sure. But beyond that aesthetic difference, I'd wait to move him into Khaba until after the swap. The retraining should be finished automatically when Khaba swaps, but I don't recall seeing anything confirming that in the official announcement.

For PVP, I’d personally take a bit more concealment. At the very least, the slot 5 mod for the dispersion debuff. I’d also swap BFT for SI for the extra heal (or smoke, but I prefer the heal on Kiev/Taskhent/Khaba)

Edit: My randoms gun build would be almost identical to Ahskance’s below, but I prefer GtG over IFA.

EDIT EDIT: Since Khaba can't take slot 6 range, I'd take the extra range at 10 points. In terms of order, basically swapping with FB

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,302 posts
16,062 battles
55 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How would you develop him from there, in order of skills acquired?

I've played a lot of RU DD in Randoms lately.  I run a Heal build for my Tashkent and Khabarovsk.

Khaba.png

For me, the Green Circles are the First 10 points.  Adrenaline Rush could be moved to Survivability Expert or Consumable Expert.  CE is mostly for the additional heal (unless you play smoke), so both options are health oriented.

After the first 10 points, grab Fearless Brawler (the one in Blue).

The next 6 points would be SE and CE to extend your health (assuming you wanted to go Health-path).  You can swap health to damage via using the brown circles (-5% reload time and +1% fire chance)

I enjoy having Incoming Fire Alert since I'm constantly harassing from 13+ km away.  It's nice to know exactly when I need to start my juke, or if shells are coming from a place I'm not looking at.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Why do you want to limit Kuznetsov to a special ship?  It seems the best use would be to put him on your favorite tech tree ship and then transfer him in when you want to play the Khab.

Because there are no more Russian ships that I want to grind except maybe Pobeda eventually, and all of the tech tree Russian ships I like already have developed captains.

Crate RNG over the years saw to it that I have more Russian cruisers than I know what to do with and a couple of mid-tier RU BBs as well, so he will almost certainly be set up for them as well at some stage. I will repeat what I said - my intent is that his DESTROYER build will be set up entirely with respect to the Khaba.

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The retraining should be finished automatically when Khaba swaps, but I don't recall seeing anything confirming that in the official announcement.

I don't think it will be, but the fact that he's untrained won't be relevant; his skills will still work. The aesthetics of it are to mark him out very clearly as my dedicated Khaba PvE fun commander.

That aside, so far, all the advice seems to be strongly in favour of ignoring concealment expert. This was what I was sort of suspecting. PM LS SE... and the only real question seems to be whether to take Fearless Brawler or extended gun range first, and whether to take reload or range in slot six. My gut feeling is that she wants all the range she can get, and a few tenths off the reload time is slightly less critical. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,201 posts
28,860 battles

For coop, range isn't really a requirement. 

What you need to maximize the khabba, is the legendary. 

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,428 posts
17,182 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

and the only real question seems to be whether to take Fearless Brawler or extended gun range first, and whether to take reload or range in slot six.

Khaba can't take range in slot 6, only reload. So definitely take AFT first, then either FB at 14 or AR at 13 (with the other at 17).

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I will repeat what I said - my intent is that his DESTROYER build will be set up entirely with respect to the Khaba.

Apologies. I read destroyer/Khaba build and my brain decided it meant only Khaba. 

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Khaba can't take range in slot 6, only reload.

Whoops yeah, derpy me. Forgot.

2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

What you need to maximize the khabba, is the legendary. 

I consider that the point of the old method for getting the legendary upgrade was to teach you what your ship was like, so you could make an informed decision to accept the ups and downs of whatever the legendary upgrade did for that particular ship. I thought about it (I have just enough RP after grabbing the Paolo recently), but @Lord_Zath advised (when asked) against spending RB on legendary upgrades and said I should save it for ships.

He has a point, but once I get my hands on every RB ship that interests me I might have a think about it again. By that time, I should have played the Khaba enough to know whether I really feel that I need it, or whether it's an expensive luxury I can do without. 

[--K--]
Supertester
1,730 posts
20,921 battles

Assume the coop "aiming" doesn't get fixed for a while (not something I base my capts around, but I'm the weird one that specs them for ranked/CB) PM, LS, SE, and FB. Then AR, AFT, SI then DE or Consumable enhancements (especially if it also improves heal time) 

This is also assuming you are running heals and not smoke. Although even with the poor aiming I do like the ability to use smoke. 

[HE]
Members
1,182 posts
9,128 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OK, so... three days until she goes live as a T10 "special"/premium, and my intent is to spend coal and get Kuznetsov for her so I can run stupid risks (mostly in co-op) and benefit from the last-gasp regeneration talent. 

1) Since Kuznetsov starts with 10 points and I will be working him up the slow way (my ECXP has other priorities right now), what's the best 10 points to start with? He will essentially be built for Khaba with no consideration required for suitability to other RU destroyers (I have other commanders for those). Specifically, can I and should I sacrifice Concealment Expert in favour of gun range?

3) Since the Khaba will be basically his one and only DD command, it seems to make sense to get him BEFORE she changes over and put him in her immediately. He will have to be "retrained" (since he comes specced for the Orlan), but once the Khaba hits "special" status that will cease to matter from the POV of having his skills active.

Run smoke for obvious reasons

image.thumb.png.9e9ac8dbad509437c167aa58c6ba640b.png

Results:

image.thumb.png.8a717632d151d51737f633247956ec1f.png

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,513 posts
28,268 battles

I consider that the point of the old method for getting the legendary upgrade was to teach you what your ship was like, so you could make an informed decision to accept the ups and downs of whatever the legendary upgrade did for that particular ship. I thought about it (I have just enough RP after grabbing the Paolo recently), but @Lord_Zath advised (when asked) against spending RB on legendary upgrades and said I should save it for ships.

He has a point, but once I get my hands on every RB ship that interests me I might have a think about it again. By that time, I should have played the Khaba enough to know whether I really feel that I need it, or whether it's an expensive luxury I can do without. 

This is a good way of looking at ANY RB unique upgrades. 100% agreed. Khaba... It's just not that fantastic even with the upgrade IMO. You're far better off saving the tokens for a ship or a different module like DM. Khaba can be fun, but my favorite moments of bullying Iowas in the backfield unchallenged are long gone, thanks to SAP, proliferation of CVs, and proliferation of 12km radar. It's still good to have her in your port for snowflakes and other events, but for all intents and purposes, I feel the line ends at T8 Kiev or perhaps T9 Tashkent. We'll see what Khaba's replacement brings.

Video below for others who might want my thoughts on RB:

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,201 posts
28,860 battles

I resisted the legendary until either MalteseKnight or Flamu featured a game on him.

What a difference it made under the current captain skills.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,513 posts
28,268 battles
18 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

1 - for co-op, it can be helpful to buff guns at the expense of concealment but you're more experienced in this than I am so maybe just run it w/o either and see what you'd rather have after a few games.

2 - guns, guns, guns

3 - This is something I severely disagree with. Put Kuznetzov on Kremlin or Petropavlovsk. Then wait for Khaba to become a premium ship. He can then run Khaba *AND* all your other Russian premium DDs. He can also run Petro or Kremlin for more "last gasp" shenanigans. This way you can get him on a tech tree ship that's actually useful *AND* Khaba.

Remember I touch on that distinction here:

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
7 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Put Kuznetzov on Kremlin or Petropavlovsk.

Problem: I do not have and probably never will have either of those ships!

The only RU tech-tree ship that I foresee researching at all moving forward is Pobeda, and that's because I got her event permacamo and will want to use it at some stage. Otherwise I'm on Donskoi, Vladivostok, Tallinn, Tashkent and Udaloi with no serious interest in going higher. Some vague intention of getting the Nevsky one day, but that's months away; maybe even next year.

He literally doesn't have a better place to go to on any of my RU fleet's tech-tree ships because he'll hardly ever get used there, but he has more RU premium battleships, cruisers and destroyers put together than I know what to do with. From his flag on Khabarovsk, he can transfer to any or all of them. If things change at a later date with regard to the desirability of a tech-tree posting, it's no worse to move him from the Khaba than from the Orlan he's nominally trained for when I get him

It's a bit like my Yamamoto; he stayed keyed to Hashidate for AGES because I couldn't make a decision on which other tech-tree ship to post him to; he spent all his time in premiums (when I did eventually make the call, it was to Shokaku because she had the longest grind ahead of her and I knew it would help to make a 21 pointer out of him. Even then, it was only because WG gave us a one-off free commander transfer when the captain-skills rework went down - there's no way I'd have moved a 19 pointer otherwise). 

26 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

It's still good to have her in your port for snowflakes and other events, but for all intents and purposes, I feel the line ends at T8 Kiev or perhaps T9 Tashkent.

I felt Tashkent's three triple centreline torp launchers and rapid reload were a significant step up in firepower flexibility over Kiev. Stock Udaloi is good in that way too, but B hull Udaloi brings quintuple launchers and a significantly lengthened reload time, so much so that A hull Udaloi is the better ship for co-op IMHO.

28 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

my favorite moments of bullying Iowas in the backfield unchallenged are long gone, thanks to SAP, proliferation of CVs, and proliferation of 12km radar.

Despite all that, my frustration as a cruiser or BB player when faced with one is still "How do I reliably hit this flippin' thing?" And co-op is a different country when it comes to the efficacy of carriers; while until now I don't think a bot has ever radared me.

Finally, remember - you're talking to a man who plays radar Hsienyang FOR  FUN.  :Smile-_tongue: As soon as you realize the implications of THAT, there's not going to be enough Dirty Water in the world to blank out the horror.:Smile_trollface:

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Finally, remember - you're talking to a man who plays radar Hsienyang FOR  FUN.  :Smile-_tongue: As soon as you realize the implications of THAT, there's not going to be enough Dirty Water in the world to blank out the horror.:Smile_trollface:

Oh no... I am not only guilty of that, but also guilty of running full radar builds throughout the rest of the PA DD line :cap_haloween:

Edited by Admiral_Bingo

[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Oh no... I am not only guilty of that, but also guilty of running full radar builds throughout the rest of the PA DD line :cap_haloween:

Did I mention that I just unlocked Chung Mu and haven't yet outfitted her?

Keep talking. I'm all ears. :cap_like:

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Did I mention that I just unlocked Chung Mu and haven't yet outfitted her?

Keep talking. I'm all ears. :cap_like:

I would usually put all my upgrades focused towards torpedo reload and radar duration. The torpedoes are just ridiculous because you can reload them quite fast, and their torpedo speed if you build into the upgrades and commander skills maxed out will more than likely surprise any ship that doesn't have hydro running. Maxing out on radar duration (via skills or coal upgrades if you even want to consider that) will give a larger window of opportunity to gun down ships hiding in smoke. That's usually the build I'm accustomed with on Yueyang as well (although Chung Mu is a much better torp boat tier for tier). Please ignore the fact that I run legendary radar Yueyang

Edited by Admiral_Bingo