You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Skirata_

Fletcher class destroyers

37 comments in this topic

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles

I am a big fan of the Fletcher class destroyers both in real life and in game. So far, there are 4 (that I know of) Fletchers in game right now (Fletcher, Kidd, Black, and Chung Mu).

What are some other Fletcher class dd's that you'd like to see in game?

What are some gimmicks/abilities you would like to see implemented on a Fletcher class dd hull (I know there was one that had an aircraft catapult)?

Edit: So far the two most popular seem to be--

USS Johnston--T10 dd with heal (superheal?), French dd hull saturation mechanics, and increased hp pool from Fletcher; otherwise stats unchanged from T9 Fletcher

USS Pringles--T8 dd with one less turret and torp launcher in exchange for an aircraft catapult that allows the player to pick a spot on the map (within a certain range ofc) and drop a spotter plane; otherwise stats unchanged from T9 Fletcher

Edited by _Skirata_

[WOLFC]
Members
5,899 posts
16,537 battles

The obvious choice would be USS Johnston (DD-557). Place her at tier X to differentiate her from her sisters and give her increased survivability in the form of Repair Party, French-style damage saturation, etc. as a nod to her actions off Samar.

• Cool 10

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
10 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The obvious choice would be USS Johnston (DD-557). Place her at tier X to differentiate her from her sisters and give her increased survivability in the form of Repair Party, French-style damage saturation, etc. as a nod to her actions off Samar.

I would really like to see Johnston as well. I mean she's probably one of the most famous Fletchers--she deserves to be in-game.

I also really like your ideas for her consumables/gimmicks; I think they fit her quite nicely. Although, she might need another gimmick to make her enticing enough.

[DAKK]
Members
758 posts
17,727 battles

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Fletchers which initially carried a catapult for a float plane (Pringle, Halford and Stevens). Kinda like Kidd, but instead of the AA in the place of the torpedo launcher, you get a catapult, and you lose one of the aft turrets.

Edited by TheOmegaDuck
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

We already have a strong representation of the Fletcher-class, but I'd be willing to see Johnston of Taffy 3 fame represented in the game.  Anything else is just too much.  With Johnston that would take the Fletchers up to 5.

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
10 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Think Kidd, but instead of the AA in the place of the torpedo launcher, you get a catapult.

Trying to think of a good use for this. Only one I can think of is a spotter for when you are hiding in smoke. The extended range on 5"/38s would be a joke. Still, compared to Black with radar, the plane would be a major loss. Rather have the torps. One major drawback would be that the plane circles you so the enemy has pretty good idea where you are.

Edited by Sabot_100

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We already have a strong representation of the Fletcher-class, but I'd be willing to see Johnston of Taffy 3 fame represented in the game.  Anything else is just too much.  With Johnston that would take the Fletchers up to 5.

More Fletchers is never a bad idea...imo

• Cool 2

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
11 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Trying to think of a good use for this. Only one I can think of is a spotter for when you are hiding in smoke. The extended range on 5"/38s would be a joke. Still, compared to Black with radar, the plane would be a major loss. Rather have the torps. One major drawback would be that the plane circles you so the enemy has pretty good idea where you are.

Yeah, I was thinking about that problem as well; however, I think I have an idea. Now I'm not a fan of carriers, but what if the spotter plane had a bigger hp pool, and the player controls it. It would just be a single plane that the player controls but does no damage of its own and has an hp pool just big enough to spot something briefly before it gets shot down. It would act like Kearsarge, Ise, and Tone in that the plane has a fairly long cool down time (maybe 60-90 secs since it doesn't do damage).

[CUDA]
Members
1,374 posts
13,206 battles
22 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Make it a catapult fighter. Then you can hide in smoke and attack passing airplanes

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
2 minutes ago, _Skirata_ said:

but what if the spotter plane had a bigger hp pool, and the player controls it.

Thought along similar lines. But to me, having no control on a DD for any length of time would be bad. A different variation would be an uncontrolled spotter. You launch it and click the map. The spotter goes there (spotting along the way) and orbits until the timer runs out. Sort of like a drop fighter.

I still think I'd want that rack of torps back  instead.

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
4 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

Make it a catapult fighter. Then you can hide in smoke and attack passing airplanes

Not sure how effective a catapult fighter is. Never had a lot of luck with them. And it is a gimmick that is only even marginally useful when a CV is in the game and planes are near you. And is most useful when you are hiding in smoke where the circling planes give the reds a decent idea of where you are. They'll know when to pop radar.

Still rather have the torps. Those are useful pretty much every game. 

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
9 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Thought along similar lines. But to me, having no control on a DD for any length of time would be bad. A different variation would be an uncontrolled spotter. You launch it and click the map. The spotter goes there (spotting along the way) and orbits until the timer runs out. Sort of like a drop fighter.

I still think I'd want that rack of torps back  instead.

Yeah, I think drop fighter concept would work better. And yes, it would definitely need another gimmick, since, you're giving up a turret and half your torps. Maybe another consumable or just give the remaining torp launcher Gearing torps. Or maybe keep the Fletcher torps but give them 60-70 sec reload. Idk, there's a lot of possibilities, but I think this could be an interesting premium.

[RLGN]
Members
18,935 posts
34,496 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure how effective a catapult fighter is. Never had a lot of luck with them. And it is a gimmick that is only even marginally useful when a CV is in the game and planes are near you. And is most useful when you are hiding in smoke where the circling planes give the reds a decent idea of where you are. They'll know when to pop radar.

Still rather have the torps. Those are useful pretty much every game. 

2 hours ago, _Skirata_ said:

Yeah, I think drop fighter concept would work better. And yes, it would definitely need another gimmick, since, you're giving up a turret and half your torps. Maybe another consumable or just give the remaining torp launcher Gearing torps. Or maybe keep the Fletcher torps but give them 60-70 sec reload. Idk, there's a lot of possibilities, but I think this could be an interesting premium.

Not sure a fighter would really work; pretty much anything would weigh more than a Kingfisher, which was a notoriously lightweight aircraft.

USS_Pringle_(DD-477)_underway_in_Decembe

Make it a T8 if losing a gun and torps is too much.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles
3 hours ago, _Skirata_ said:

More Fletchers is never a bad idea...imo

Yes it is when there are historical ship classes of WWII not represented in the game right now.

Or, for example, the historical Allen M. Sumner-class of DDs not represented in the USN DD Line at all.  There is one, in the PADD Line at Tier X, Yueyang, former USS Haynsworth, but none in the USN Line.  Yet we have 4 Fletchers in the game right now, 3 in the USN already.  The Sumners saw plenty of action in WWII.

There is also Akagi, Hiryu, Soryu. 

Independence is missing, which is a big omission since they saw plenty of WWII action also.  The Independence-class is the definitive CVL-class of the USN in WWII because they were fast enough to be part of Fast Carrier operations.  Meanwhile Saipan is in WoWS, but she never served in WWII.  She was commissioned in 1946.

We are also missing the CV-class that broke the back of the IJN:  Essex-class.

Bogue is missing.  She was in the game in the RTS CV days.  This class saw very heavy use in WWII.

There's also the torpedo heavy refits that 2 of the Kuma-class got, Kitakami and Oi, they're very unique but are not represented in the game.

Hell, I'd like to see the IJN Unryu-class represented.  The Japanese had started to commission them in the latter part of 1944, but the big problem was they no longer had the naval aircrews to give them.  Meanwhile we have 2 Full CV Lines of Fake Ships.

Unryu-class CV Katsuragi during sea trials in October, 1944.

2560px-Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Katsura

She was bombed but survived WWII.  Here she is repatriating Japanese personnel from Rabaul, back to Japan in 1946.

Katsuragi_(AWM_099798).jpg

I would also prefer to have Battleship Washington, North Carolina's sister, because of her contribution in WWII and stopping cold the IJN's last real attempt to destroy Henderson Field.  She also bailed BB South Dakota out of trouble when she had her electrical failure in the same battle.

ac38491da1113b542a40548c7fdd76d6.jpg

a11b2acb3e0599476df927edd6379bdc.jpg

North Carolina-class is already represented by NC herself, but Washington's contribution merits her presence.

• Cool 1

Members
545 posts
9,922 battles
4 hours ago, _Skirata_ said:

I am a big fan of the Fletcher class destroyers both in real life and in game. So far, there are 4 (that I know of) Fletchers in game right now (Fletcher, Kidd, Black, and Chung Mu).

What are some other Fletcher class dd's that you'd like to see in game?

What are some gimmicks/abilities you would like to see implemented on a Fletcher class dd hull (I know there was one that had an aircraft catapult)?

My favorite class Fletcher USS Kidd

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
59 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure a fighter would really work; pretty much anything would weigh more than a Kingfisher, which was a notoriously lightweight aircraft.

USS_Pringle_(DD-477)_underway_in_Decembe

Make it a T8 if losing a gun and torps is too much.

Knocking it down to T8 probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
18 minutes ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

My favorite class Fletcher USS Kidd

Yeah, Kidd is currently my favorite ship in-game...such a blast to play.

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes it is when there are historical ship classes of WWII not represented in the game right now.

Or, for example, the historical Allen M. Sumner-class of DDs not represented in the USN DD Line at all.  There is one, in the PADD Line at Tier X, Yueyang, former USS Haynsworth, but none in the USN Line.  Yet we have 4 Fletchers in the game right now, 3 in the USN already.  The Sumners saw plenty of action in WWII.

Independence is missing, which is a big omission since they saw plenty of WWII action also.  The Independence-class is the definitive CVL-class of the USN in WWII because they were fast enough to be part of Fast Carrier operations.  Meanwhile Saipan is in WoWS, but she never served in WWII.  She was commissioned in 1946.

Bogue is missing.  She was in the game in the RTS CV days.  This class saw very heavy use in WWII.

There's also the torpedo heavy refits that 2 of the Kuma-class got, Kitakami and Oi, they're very unique but are not represented in the game.

Hell, I'd like to see the IJN Unryu-class represented.  The Japanese had started to commission them in the latter part of 1944, but the big problem was they no longer had the naval aircrews to give them.  Meanwhile we have 2 Full CV Lines of Fake Ships.

2560px-Japanese_aircraft_carrier_Katsura

She was bombed but survived WWII.  Here she is repatriating Japanese personnel from Rabaul, back to Japan in 1946.

Katsuragi_(AWM_099798).jpg

I would also prefer to have Battleship Washington, North Carolina's sister, because of her contribution in WWII and stopping cold the IJN's last real attempt to destroy Henderson Field.  She also bailed BB South Dakota out of trouble when she had her electrical failure in the same battle.

ac38491da1113b542a40548c7fdd76d6.jpg

a11b2acb3e0599476df927edd6379bdc.jpg

North Carolina-class is already represented by NC herself, but Washington's contribution merits her presence.

That's why I said "imo (in my opinion)." I like the Fletcher class and would not mind seeing more in the game.

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,284 battles

I definitely want to see USS Johnston in game. Other Fletchers are negotiable, that one is not. 

• Cool 2

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,612 posts
20,079 battles
5 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I agree Johnston should be represented.
Increased HP or a repair party, either the French gun boost or a boosted torp reload, I'd also toss in a speed boost.

5 hours ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Fletchers which initially carried a catapult for a float plane (Pringle, Halford and Stevens). Kinda like Kidd, but instead of the AA in the place of the torpedo launcher, you get a catapult, and you lose one of the aft turrets.

5 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

4 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

That is the real issue in making a catapult Fletcher work. What does the plane do? Spotter plane is kinda pointless with the 5in gun especially when you bring in the floating shells. It really wouldn't work as a single fighter as if a possible CV rework goes through, it won't spot ships. Seems kinda a useless thing to lose a gun turret over.

1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The US and Japanese both could support a second CV line of 'actual' ships. WG could even 'bring back' Shinano back for T10.

Bogue could come back as an ASW ship. Maybe a torp or bomb load, and a Depth charge load.

Soryu was previously in game and could return either at 8 or 6

Akagi might be an issue as Kaga already carries the 'lower tiered' aircraft.

[-BSK-]
Members
519 posts
24,985 battles

sell premium perma camos of the different fletchers for the T9 techtree Fletcher and Make bank

[BONKS]
Members
4,731 posts
52 battles

As Johnston has been mentioned often enough already, I'll pick O'Bannon.

[NOKAP]
Members
81 posts
5,149 battles
5 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

As Johnston has been mentioned often enough already, I'll pick O'Bannon.

What would O'Bannon's gimmick(s) be?

Members
545 posts
9,922 battles
12 minutes ago, _Skirata_ said:

What would O'Bannon's gimmick(s) be?

The gimmick will be he can call Godzilla and kingkong 🤣 just kidding guys lmbo..