You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

Q about some upgrades that I haven't used so far

6 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
[BTLST]
Members
1,128 posts
18,427 battles

There are some upgrades for slots 1 (up) to 6 that I haven't used so far and I'm wondering, in what situations or for what ships they make sense:

Slot 3: 

- AA Guns Modification 1 (-20% Reduction to AA Sector Preparation time)

This one sounds completely underwhelming, though perhaps on tech tree USN BBs (that can't take Aiming Mod and don't need range or secondaries buff) this might be midly useful?

Slot 5: 

- Torpedo Lookout System
- Ship Consumables Mod 1

Any situation when to take any of those over Concealment System Mod 1?

Looking forward to any insights on whether (and when) to pick any of those.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,628 posts
7,415 battles

I'd never use any of them on any of my ships. All of these mods suffer from being too specialized.

The AA mod is only useful going up against planes, and even then: would it make that much of a difference against a carrier? Probably not.

Concealment is the same story. The only ship I don't take concealment on is carriers. I put it on every other ship because it's never not useful. Whenever you haven't fired for 20s, concealment is active. Both TLS and ship consumables just aren't as strong as the concealment mod. They might save your bacon in 1 game out of 10, but concealment will always be useful in every single one of those 10 games, and will be more useful in more circumstances within those games.

Edited by Fast_Battleship_Iowa
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
13 hours ago, tangofan said:

There are some upgrades for slots 1 (up) to 6 that I haven't used so far and I'm wondering, in what situations or for what ships they make sense:

Slot 3: 

This one sounds completely underwhelming, though perhaps on tech tree USN BBs (that can't take Aiming Mod and don't need range or secondaries buff) this might be midly useful?

Slot 5: 

- Torpedo Lookout System
- Ship Consumables Mod 1

I like playing secondary-spec'd ships and find that they do just fine where AA is concerned. Spec'ing for AA is gambling that 1. there will be CVs in the match, 2. the CVs will notice your ship and find it attractive as a target, and 3. that you will accrue a benefit over some other upgrade that you might have used instead by mitigating potential CV-caused damage. 

As for the torpedo lookout system, however, I really like that one and use it on my brawling BBs. It allows me (with enhanced rudder shift as well) yo avoid most of torpedoes, including most aerial torpedo drops unless the CV player is really good. Sometimes the CV player gets annoyed at my dodging his torpedoes and starts to dropping them too close where they don't arm before hitting my ship. I stack this with vigilance, which allows me to see torpedoes at a distance of 2.25 km. It's not German hydro but I'll take it.

image.thumb.png.8b3cfe44603b3473620dbb9fdbaaa81f.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFC]
Members
5,898 posts
16,526 battles
5 hours ago, tangofan said:

Slot 3: 

I have yet to find a USN BB that didn’t benefit more from either the extra range (APRM1) or turret traverse (MBM2) in that slot.

5 hours ago, tangofan said:

Slot 5: 

- Torpedo Lookout System
- Ship Consumables Mod 1

No. Concealment is simply too powerful in this game. Even on secondary-specced BBs, I’ll take CSM1 because I usually pass on the CE skill in order to take ERE and FPE. Even on the German CCs (where I take CE in place of FPE) I still mount the concealment mod because those ships can get their surface detection range very close to their secondary battery range.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

[DMGS]
Members
668 posts
9,149 battles
7 hours ago, tangofan said:

Slot 3: 

Slot 5: 

- Torpedo Lookout System
- Ship Consumables Mod 1

The only ship I ever use Ship Consumables Mod 1 on is Kaga. That's mostly because she really doesn't need increased plane regen or deck space.

• Thanks 1

Members
3,190 posts
2,959 battles
12 hours ago, tangofan said:

- Torpedo Lookout System

10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

As for the torpedo lookout system, however, I really like that one and use it on my brawling BBs. It allows me (with enhanced rudder shift as well) yo avoid most of torpedoes, including most aerial torpedo drops unless the CV player is really good. Sometimes the CV player gets annoyed at my dodging his torpedoes and starts to dropping them too close where they don't arm before hitting my ship. I stack this with vigilance, which allows me to see torpedoes at a distance of 2.25 km. It's not German hydro but I'll take it.

^Torpedo Lookout System is a useful substitute if you gave up your hydro for something else, or never had hydro to begin with. 

For example: I play Prinz Eugen aggressively to make full use of secondaries, depth charges, and torpedoes. I have no use for concealment at the ranges I'll be fighting. I equip DFAA instead of hydro to seriously screw over carriers & Dutch cruisers,* so I get TLS as a substitute.

* I do wonder if people have forgotten the German cruiser DFAA. Eugen's point defense is insane, and watching unsuspecting squadrons get ripped apart is so satisfying.