Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Annekynn

Constant microstutter

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles

GeForce 3070 on a Dell 240Hz Gsync monitor. In full screen or maximized borderless the game runs flawlessly. However in Full Screen Windowed (which is what I want) or Maximized Borderless with the windows task bar hidden I get a persistent micro stutter when rotating/panning the camera (easily done in port). Its like every 2nd frame is dropped. I have played with Vsync, Triple Buffering, Gsync, Fixed Refresh etc, none seem to make a full screen windowed experience smooth. This issue is only present in this game, all other games run without problems. I am aware that the game is pre-set to 75Hz max, so ive edited the config and tried 120 and 240Hz. There is no difference between the two that I can tell, but at 120 the amount of micro stutter has reduced by about half to maybe two thirds, but is still plainly visible. So that said, is anyone aware of this problem and knows of any fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,300
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles

Have you tried reducing your display refresh rate to 60 and enabling v-sync?

Running anything but exclusive fullscreen on a g-sync monitor is kind of a waste. While there is a setting to enable g-sync for windowed applications, I haven't found the results to be very satisfying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
22 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

Have you tried reducing your display refresh rate to 60 and enabling v-sync?

Running anything but exclusive fullscreen on a g-sync monitor is kind of a waste. While there is a setting to enable g-sync for windowed applications, I haven't found the results to be very satisfying.

Im not interested in Gsync with this game, its just a feature I have to play with besides fixed refresh. Ive gone through all the settings in various combinations (to my knowledge) and none resolve the stutter in windowed mode which is all I want. But you made me realize one thing, and I didnt have gsync enabled for windowed mode, just full screen. Lemmie play with that and see if anything there works better

Edit: nope, even with gsync enabled for windowed mode, whether im using gsync or fixed refresh I can only see an improvement at 120hz, but the stutter is still slightly there but more intermittent and not consistent like it is at default 75hz

Edited by Annekynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,300
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
29 minutes ago, Annekynn said:

Im not interested in Gsync with this game, its just a feature I have to play with besides fixed refresh. Ive gone through all the settings in various combinations (to my knowledge) and none resolve the stutter in windowed mode which is all I want. But you made me realize one thing, and I didnt have gsync enabled for windowed mode, just full screen. Lemmie play with that and see if anything there works better

Edit: nope, even with gsync enabled for windowed mode, whether im using gsync or fixed refresh I can only see an improvement at 120hz, but the stutter is still slightly there but more intermittent and not consistent like it is at default 75hz

???

The whole point of g-sync is to eliminate refresh-related stuttering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
33 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

???

The whole point of g-sync is to eliminate refresh-related stuttering.

I am aware, but this isnt an FPS issue as my FPS doesnt drop. I can test this stutter in port just by panning the camera around my ship. The stutter is only there in windowed full screen mode, and thats the mode I want to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,300
[PAT]
Members
1,258 posts
15,083 battles
7 minutes ago, Annekynn said:

I am aware, but this isnt an FPS issue as my FPS doesnt drop. I can test this stutter in port just by panning the camera around my ship. The stutter is only there in windowed full screen mode, and thats the mode I want to use.

Not what I'm saying at all.

If your FPS in-game doesn't sync with your monitor refresh rate you can get stutter or tearing.

If you game is just stuttering all by itself in fs windowed, I'm not sure how to help with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
32 minutes ago, SuperSSL said:

Not what I'm saying at all.

If your FPS in-game doesn't sync with your monitor refresh rate you can get stutter or tearing.

If you game is just stuttering all by itself in fs windowed, I'm not sure how to help with that.

Yes, and as stated ive tried both gysnc and fixed refresh, from 75 to 240 hz. Beyond 75 it does improve but never goes away. Full screen is never an issue, but to interact with my secondary screen the game then minimizes when you tab out of it which is super annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[PVE]
Beta Testers
23 posts
6,598 battles

Any idea what your hardware usage looks like when it's stuttering? Able to see if CPU or GPU are randomly maxing out or maybe even dipping sharply for some reason?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
1 hour ago, macmonster said:

Any idea what your hardware usage looks like when it's stuttering? Able to see if CPU or GPU are randomly maxing out or maybe even dipping sharply for some reason?

CPU between 10 and 12% usage for the game (20% total when factoring in background apps), RAM usage (total) at 49%, and finally GPU that fluctuates between 34 and 37% in port when rotating around my ship. This is not an issue of resources as in full screen its 100% correct, and maximized borderless WITH the windows taskbar visible is also 100% correct. As soon as I hide the taskbar the problem is there (as then I guess its using full screen windowed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[PVE]
Beta Testers
23 posts
6,598 battles

What version of windows is this? I don't remember the taskbar ever being visible in windowed borderless, at least for Win10.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
3 hours ago, macmonster said:

What version of windows is this? I don't remember the taskbar ever being visible in windowed borderless, at least for Win10.

 

Win 10 Pro. Its not there in Full screen borderless, but it is there in Maximized Borderless. In that mode the task bar is visible, and as long as it stays visible there is no stutter. However the moment I hide the task bar the game switches to full screen borderless and the stutter is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156
[CRMPI]
Members
307 posts
9,511 battles

I'm not having problems in game, while actually playing, with Gsync enabled and in full screen mode, but I am having issues with screen tearing and the GPU getting much warmer while in port for some reason. The user interface in particular is having a lot of stutters and tearing problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16
[RE]
Members
30 posts
9,533 battles
4 hours ago, EricThePixelPirate said:

I'm not having problems in game, while actually playing, with Gsync enabled and in full screen mode, but I am having issues with screen tearing and the GPU getting much warmer while in port for some reason. The user interface in particular is having a lot of stutters and tearing problems.

Full screen or Full Screen Windowed? because the windowed one is thats not working right for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,872
[WORX]
Members
16,914 posts
22,074 battles
1 minute ago, Annekynn said:

Full screen or Full Screen Windowed? because the windowed one is thats not working right for me

What are your physical monitor settings??? Two things I would look for...

  • Hz settings
  • Your refresh rate...
  • Dot pitch of your monitor...

I suspect... Your monitor is causing the bottleneck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156
[CRMPI]
Members
307 posts
9,511 battles
On 2/13/2022 at 5:05 PM, Annekynn said:

Full screen or Full Screen Windowed? because the windowed one is thats not working right for me

Full screen mode, I never use windowed in my games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×