Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Swervenkill

Battle of Jutland Commemorative Games

8 comments in this topic

[CUDA]
Members
1,374 posts
13,206 battles

If any one battle encapsulates the spirit of WOWs it is Jutland. Massive fleets clashing over and over again just as happens in the game every day. To commemorate the battle which occurred during the night of 31 May/1 June I’d like to suggest a series of three scenario-type games for PVP, one a week for a three-week period starting the first week in June.

In each game the Ocean board is used. 12 ships on each side are organized in opposite corners, in four columns of three ships each, slowest ships in front. Any spots not filled after a certain amount of time will be filled with bots using British or German battleships.

Round 1: Jutland 1916

Tiers 3-5

2 caps in game

Players using battleships get +5% experience

Players using ships (or ship classes) that were present at the battle get +5% credit

Round 2: Jutland 1940

Tiers 6-8

3 caps in game

Players using British or German ships get +5% credit

Round 3: Jutland 1945

Tiers 9, 10

4 caps in game

Players who won 10 battles in the series to date get +5% credit

Ending

Players who played 5 battles in each round get a Jutland flag…

Players who succeeded at a series of missions get a premium ship present at the battle such as Agincourt.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles
2 hours ago, Swervenkill said:

Players who succeeded at a series of missions get a premium ship present at the battle such as Agincourt.

While I'm not going to specifically argue against this (Agincourt is a funbote), my personal preference would be a Jutland configuration Seydlitz and Queen Mary as T4 BBs. They'd be marginally better than their tech tree counterparts Moltke and presumably Lion '10 or Princess Royal but being in exact Jutland config would have virtually no AA and could be given a bit worse main gun accuracy (on the premise that the WG-invented refits include improved fire control) as another balance factor.

But I'm just wanting an excuse to add my favorite WW1 battlecruiser.

vfaeravfer.jpgGerman_battlecruiser_SMS_Seydlitz_in_porSeydlitz_steams_to_Scapa.jpgSeydlitz_moored_in_harbor.jpgSeydlitz_badly_damaged.jpgSeydlitz_in_port_for_repairs.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles

For clarification. Are the teams all one nation or a mix depending on who cares to play. Is it German vs British? Personally I think Brit vs German would be the most popular...BUT...

If not mixed, there could be an issue with adding fill in bots. More players might want to bring German ships for example. As with the recent experience in Assym battles, you could end up with consistently more bots on one of the teams, which could have a cascade effect as players decide it isn't worth playing Brits because there are often more bots on that team so you get crushed. Pretty soon nobody is playing Brits so that team is all bots. Just an example, could be everyone wants to play Brits but it is unlikely that the popularity of both nations would be equal.

If the teams are mixed, or both get the same number of bots, then this would not be a problem. 

[CUDA]
Members
1,374 posts
13,206 battles
14 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

For clarification. Are the teams all one nation or a mix depending on who cares to play. Is it German vs British? Personally I think Brit vs German would be the most popular...BUT...

If not mixed, there could be an issue with adding fill in bots. More players might want to bring German ships for example. As with the recent experience in Assym battles, you could end up with consistently more bots on one of the teams, which could have a cascade effect as players decide it isn't worth playing Brits because there are often more bots on that team so you get crushed. Pretty soon nobody is playing Brits so that team is all bots. Just an example, could be everyone wants to play Brits but it is unlikely that the popularity of both nations would be equal.

If the teams are mixed, or both get the same number of bots, then this would not be a problem. 

My guess: In order to keep queue times short ships would be fed in to both sides evenly regardless of nationality. Bots could remain all German one side and all British the other because they're made up anyway.

[CVA16]
Members
8,557 posts
26,105 battles
18 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

My guess: In order to keep queue times short ships would be fed in to both sides evenly regardless of nationality.

OR don't use bots at all. Just show the numbers queueing for each side and/or give an estimated wait time for each team. Player sees it is a 5 minute wait to play a T8 German ship, they may want to try a different tier or nation.

Or as (I think) you say, if one team has to be filled out with bots, the other side gets them too.

The whole concept of the mode would be Brit vs German. Mixing them would be wrong. Then again you would get the whiners that think it is unfair they can't bring their Stalingrad .

[LWOP]
[LWOP]
Members
99 posts
925 battles

Really wish there was a Jutland Collection, not just containers with random Jutland-inspired contents.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[LWOP]
Members
40 posts
1,009 battles

The fallacy of the Jutland/Skagerrak containers now being,

with Agincourt purchasable, there's not much point in these containers now for 1000 coal each (or their equivalent in doubloons or cash).

The only prevalent sought-after drop now would be the rare Koenig Albert.

And the depressing thing, is if the container drops the Jutland camo, it's just one camo. ONE.

For 10,000-12,000 coal, there are camo bundles in the Customization section (?) of the Armory, that have 20x whichever camo for that price: camos superior in stats to the Jutland camo (Restless Fire, for example...). These superior camos then would be roughly 500 or 600 coal each, not the 1000 coal of the inferior Jutland camo. Ditto for the low amount of signal flags a Jutland box can drop at once (and what their comparable per-each cost would equate to).

Surely now, this one ranks up there with the "worst drop rates per cost" in the game: without a Jutland collection with a worthwhile end reward, myself and certainly others, see no worthwhile merit in these over-priced Jutland containers now.

A "mercy rule" after 249, that #250 WILL drop either ship?

Both ships combined, with ALL their special camo options, are NO WHERE near in value, the cost of 250 Jutland containers, not by a long shot.

At most, by cost comparison to other camos as explained above, Jutland containers should not be costing more than 500 coal each, or their equivalent in doubloons or cash,... if that, even (looking at the Jutland camo stats in comparison to the price break down of others available in those coal bundles).

Without a worthwhile collection attached, depicting events and ships of that battle, this one is an over-priced lost cause.

Good ideas in other posts above for additional Jutland ships. If a collection were established for the Jutland containers, each "page" of the collection could reward a permanent camo and respective flag for the key ships of the battle... (it would go a long way in justifying their asking price, now that Agincourt can be flat-out purchased at a guaranteed price).

• Thanks 1