You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyrom

Auction Gremyashchy - is it still THAT good to justify T8 price?

46 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Members
1,658 posts
17,297 battles

So, how good is this ship, that they want us to pay a t8 price for a t5?

There is this LWM's review...

UPDATE: so after reading reviews, your opinions and even video made by @MalteseKnight I decided to withdraw my bid on this ship, because it's just a normal T5 dd, nothing special to justify the price.

Edited by crazyrom
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,672 posts
30,003 battles

That review was done well before they removed the ability to fire guns from stealth. Not sure it is an accurate representation of what the ship is today. I tend to dislike all destroyers so my opinion is not very helpful. I own the ship because I got her in a Santa crate a long time ago when she was still considered overpowered but even then I considered it just an ok ship. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about her will post here. 

Personally I do not believe she is worth the starting bid though. It isn't a horrible ship but it isn't anything special either. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts

Think of Anshan but tier 5. You can stealth torp at tier 5 which used to be a pretty strong selling point but now more DDs can do that now like the French DDs. The guns are pretty good in terms of open water gunboating with the great ballistics but the turret traverse time is ridiculous at 36 seconds, surprisingly worse than most cruisers. Anshan is a pretty good boat at tier 6 and having a slightly different variant of her into tier 5 would sort of show how strong the boat is relative to her tier but with all the newer ships, eh she's just more of a rare collectors ship rather than an overperforming one nowadays.

Edited by Admiral_Bingo
  • Thanks 2

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,035 posts
33 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

I have been wanting her... I have 21k doubloons.. might attempt it...but I have Neush.... who is a good dd too.

[NUWES]
Members
3,843 posts
15,369 battles
38 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

It's a good ship but not T8 good. The cost comes from rarity at this point

Members
221 posts
11,604 battles

It is a fantastic seal clubber and very fun to play. Also really rare. Its only downside is the really, really slow turret traverse. 

Edited by MemezRus

[MISRY]
Members
1,335 posts
15 minutes ago, MemezRus said:

It is a fantastic seal clubber and very fun to play. Also really rare. Its only downside is the really, really slow turret traverse. 

That got even worse after the skills rework. You can make coffee now while waiting for them to get on target. 

• Thanks 1

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Nah.

I sunk 150M into coal and 20M into flag. I already have 14 soviet commanders. A Aquarium Reading Commander wont matter much.

The Destroyer is not compelling, I can spend 15K coin for very useful and needful items. Now if it was say a Benham, Black etc I would sell all of Camelot to one lucky Realtor.

Edited by xHeavy

[LRM]
Members
1,658 posts
17,297 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

That review was done well before they removed the ability to fire guns from stealth.

is it like completely removed? Range not based on shell diameter anymore? I am used to the fact that your detection always goes to max firing range, so now there are no more formulas, it's just plain and simple gun range = detection range? Or is the detect on Grem still based on math, and maybe we can extend firing range back to stealth with AFT (not sure the name of the skill in lower left corner, +gun range)

[CK5]
Members
1,887 posts
22,040 battles

I wouldn't buy it.  There are a lot of Gremys out there, but few are played.  How many do you see in a match these days?  That is because it is not nearly the beast it used to be.  I have one and play it once a year to knock off snowflakes.  Don't waste your money. 

[TOG]
Members
4,751 posts
33,820 battles

Well, they have to find the money to fund the server replacement. Now it'll be interesting if they auction off Belfast.

[KMS]
4,035 posts

They are getting the collectors... I mean that is a ship I would love to have.. not worth the 10k doubloons.  I have Kazi R and Fujin......to seal club 5 if feel like it

[_TKS_]
Members
856 posts
25,564 battles
9 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

is it like completely removed? Range not based on shell diameter anymore? I am used to the fact that your detection always goes to max firing range, so now there are no more formulas, it's just plain and simple gun range = detection range? Or is the detect on Grem still based on math, and maybe we can extend firing range back to stealth with AFT (not sure the name of the skill in lower left corner, +gun range)

ummmmmm    where have you been?

• Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
18,930 posts
34,453 battles

As someone who has had one for years?

No.

Shadow of its former self after stealth firing and skill changes.

[WOLFC]
Members
5,897 posts
16,496 battles
13 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Stealth fire was removed for all ships. Now, firing your guns sets your detection range equal to your gun range for 20s, with two important caveats:

1) The “gun bloom” is less when firing in/behind smoke. The value scales roughly with gun size/range (for example, it’s still really high for BBs), but it is also used to balance ships individually. You can see the value for each ship in port.

2) If you are behind cover/concealment and no one detects you when you fire your guns, your detection instantly resets to normal, skipping the 20s timer.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,523 posts
26,227 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Stealth fire was removed for all ships. Now, firing your guns sets your detection range equal to your gun range for 20s, with two important caveats:

1) The “gun bloom” is less when firing in/behind smoke. The value scales roughly with gun size/range (for example, it’s still really high for BBs), but it is also used to balance ships individually. You can see the value for each ship in port.

2) If you are behind cover/concealment and no one detects you when you fire your guns, your detection instantly resets to normal, skipping the 20s timer.

3) In some cases, when kiting someone at the extreme of your gun range, you can fire while the chasing ship is still outside your gun bloom and remain undetected while he sails into your shells.

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
2,404 posts

Just get a Gnevny. Marginally faster (1 KM/h), same range and far better turret traverse, but shorter torps (4 KM vs 8 KM).

• Cool 1

Members
489 posts
25,520 battles
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

Not good enough for that price, just a normal tier 5 ship today, imho.

[BEA5T]
Members
6,799 posts
34,315 battles

This is Collector bait..........  And, I can see all 2,900 of these sold already because there are whales whom simply will spend for them on several accounts....!  I know at least two of them and will talk to them tonight, if they show up, to see what they are going to spend (a lot to insure they get one no doubt)...... 

[ARGSY]
Members
30,552 posts
28,064 battles
37 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Now it'll be interesting if they auction off Belfast.

They don't really need to, since people who are that desperate for one can still spam the Santa containers for her every year.

OTOH Gremy (along with Nikolai and all the Kami sisters) is no longer available by that mechanism, so this is bait for the collectors who missed her in 2020 and ill-informed whales who think they're getting a pay-to-win ship but haven't done enough research to realize why they aren't. The former group will probably be happy afterwards; elements of the latter group will soon be back here complaining about being scammed/sold a load of garbage.

I think every WOWS streamer who has one owes it to the playerbase to take her out over the weekend and show people what they're throwing their dubs at.

[PVE]
Members
17,083 posts
38,415 battles
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

I have it (like @Taylor3006 I got it from a Santa crate). Full disclosure I have only played it in Co-op. I don't play DD in PVP.

It's ok. Not great not horrible. Here are some key points for you.

• Detection is ok for a T5 DD at 6.1 (Capt w/ CE)
  • Guns are pretty good BUT the turret rotation is glacial (36 sec base before module or skill). It is really hard to keep them on target while WASD'ing in a gun fight. But, when you hit it hurts. Range is good for a T5 DD at 11.9km base. Smoke detection is 2.7km so not bad.
  • Torps are ok. Unlike most RU DD's that only have 4km torps Gremy has 8km. They hit decently hard and have low detection but they are slow. You actually can stealth torp with it as the slow torps actually help with that as it allows you to launch further away and let the extra time to get there allow the red to close the distance. Also, with the Capt skill you can drop reload to 62 sec so reload is fast.
  • Fast. 37 knots base and 40 (39.96) with engine boost active. It moves right out. Acceleration is slow however just FYI. Takes a bit to get moving.
  • Nimble. 2.7 sec rudder and 550m turn radius. It wiggles and turns well at T5 compared to it's peers.
  • AA. While no DD (ship really) at T5 has "good" AA Gremy has pretty good "T5 DD AA" and is up there at the top with US, KM, and EU. 

Only you can decide if the asking price is worth it. IMO 10K doubloons to start (bet it hits 20K+) for a T5 DD, even a good one like Gremy that is only available now in SC's and Santa crates, is too high.  But, if you like DD play, really want the ship, and your chances of getting it at Christmas in a Santa crate is low (ie; you are only missing the rare ships), go for it. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Thanks 1

[DMGS]
Members
665 posts
9,137 battles

I have this one. Honestly I fail to see how it's that OP. The turret traverse is godawful even with improved skills and upgrade slotted. It's a worse Gnevny a tier lower. The real gem at V is still Kamikaze. 

My favorite tier V gunboat is still the Hill. That one clicks with me for some reason. 

[PVE]
Members
12,003 posts
21,175 battles

It's popularity was due to stealth fire, which was a selling point for some DDs for a while. With stealth gone, it's kind of junky.

• Cool 1