You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DxMxD

How the Mutsuki AA is better than Cleveland's.

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
39 posts
994 battles

The Mutsuki's AA defense is better than the Cleveland's AA defense in certain ways.

Don't get me wrong, the Cleveland's AA defense is amazing. Combined with Defensive power cooldown, it is able to eat incoming aircraft alive. However, the Mutsuki can be a much stronger anti-aircraft platform than the Cleveland if you actively try to use it as such.

Here is the breakdown:

Cleveland, On paper has a rating of 47 towards it's AA guns.

13x1 20mm guns with 65 DPS and a range of 2.1km

2x2 40mm guns with 18 DPS and a range of 3.5km

4x4 40mm guns with 72 DPS and a range of 3.5km

6x2 127mm with 24 DPS and with a range of 5.0km

This means that at 5km from the Cleveland the ship does a maximum 48 DPS to enemy aircraft.

As the aircraft close within 3.5km, the Cleveland's damage increases to 378 DPS

Within 2.1km the Cleveland can do a maximum of 1,223 DPS to aircraft.

For scale, Tier 6 torpedo bombers have 1,160 health.

The Cleveland's concealment ratings are 13.3km for surface detectability and 8.1km for Air Detectability Range.

What this means is that bombers or other aircraft will ALWAYS be able to see the Cleveland before it's within it's AA radius and will always be able to avoid even it's 5.0km AA if it chooses to.

Now let's take the AA of the Mutsuki and compare it to the Cleveland.

Mutsuki, On paper has a rating of only 20 towards it's AA guns.

4x1 25mm guns with 11 DPS and a range of 3.0km

6x3 25mm guns with 49 DPS and a range of 3.0km

2x1 120mm guns with 4 DPS and a range of 5.0km

This means that at 5km from the Mutsuki the ship does a maximum 8 DPS to enemy ships compared to the Cleveland's 48 DPS.

As the aircraft close within 3km, the Mutsuki's damage increases to 346 DPS compared to the Cleveland's 378 DPS at that range.

This means, that between 3.0km and 2.1km The AA DPS of the Mutsuki and the Cleveland are VERY similar.

Now for the Mutsuki's trump card.

The Mutsuki's concealment rating are 5.9km for surface detectability and 3.1km for Air Detectability range!

This means that an aircraft flying towards a Mutsuki will only be able to see the destroyer when it is within 0.1km of it's entire 3.0km AA battery which is only 32 DPS less than a Cleveland's AA at that range.

SURPRISE!

Conclusion: try using the Mutsuki for AA duty, you might be surprised with the results.

Now the Cleveland still has it's use as a semi-fixed AA defense and it does it's role extremely well along with it's other roles as a Cruiser. It does a better job protecting Battleships with it's AA and other slow targets, or forcing carriers to fly aircraft around them. In other words Aircraft Area denial.

Whereas the Mutsuki destroyer can actively hunt and intercept approaching aircraft's flight paths, Pop smoke to cover friendly craft from TB's, and mop up crippled ships later in the game with Torpedos.

Thoughts?

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

except the 120mm DP guns opening up at 5 km reveal your position far sooner.

Beta Testers
39 posts
994 battles

Not if you turn them off. :trollface:

Anyway, at 5km or more a Cleveland in that situation would already have been spotted even without firing in which case it's entire AA battery can simply be avoided.

The Mutsuki would have at least started doing damage at that range in that situation, regardless how pitiful it was.

In order for the Mutsuki to be detected by enemy aircraft, they need to be 5km closer to it than they would have to be to spot a Cleveland and already well inside it's AA radius. That's a HUGE advantage.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

I never run around in my Mutsuki with the AA turned on, unless I've already been detected while hunting carriers.  Even then - I rarely get any plane kills.  If I recall the most I've ever gotten was 3 after being assaulted by an Independance who was trying to torp me with squads whilst running away.

Even if the AA on the Mutsuki is good, you just won't use it often because she is definitely a stealthy hunter of battleships/cruisers.

[CRNGE]
Banned
3,786 posts
3,406 battles

except that most folks keep their AA off until they're already lit for this exact reason.

Beta Testers
39 posts
994 battles

I had a match a few days ago where I had 28 aircraft killed.

I shot at so many torpedo bombers as they flew over me thinking I was harmless.

It's the existence of alternative play styles like this that really make me interested in the future of this game.

• Cool 2

[WHEWI]
Beta Testers
96 posts
1,681 battles

I believe your calculation of aa damage is wrong. The aa damage by gun type is just that, not multiplied by the amount of the emplacements of the same type. You can see this with the amount of 40mm guns on the Cleveland. It has 2x2 doing 18  dps and 4x4 doing 72 dps. Now 2x2=4  for 18 damage and 4x4=16 for 72. The ratios are equal. 4:18 is the same as16:72 meaning each barrel has a dps of 4.5. It makes sense that the same calibre barrels have the same damage. If we look at yours, the dps of a single barrel of the double barrel is 9 and a single barrel on the quad barrel is 35.5. I'm too lazy to show my work on those last two so I'm hoping everyone knows math.

[R0FL]
Beta Testers
1,286 posts
4,086 battles

Still it just chills my bones that someone would be willing to suffer through IJN destroyers to such a level just for some stealth AA...  I mean come on, tier 6?  I'd have to probably play almost a whole day of IJN DD to make that, and that's just plain punishment all the time knowing I could instead be in a USN DD.   It's like choosing used roller skates that don't fit you for your birthday over a brand new Ferrari.  I can't see that happening very much.