You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ahskance

DevBlog 274 - Closed Test for 0.11.2, New Ships

22 comments in this topic

[RNGOD]
Members
220 posts
9,344 battles

Broad Beam Neptune, Super Nagato/Mutsu and finally a 16 gun BB with accurate salvos

Edited by lolpip

[TOG]
Members
4,751 posts
33,820 battles

British supercruiser Edgar

Hit points – 49900. Plating - 16 mm. 

Main battery - 6x2 152 mm. Firing range - 16.5 km.

Maximum AP shell damage - 3200. AP initial velocity - 768 m/s.

Reload time - 3.2 s. 180 degree turn time - 4.7 s. Maximum dispersion - 147 м. Sigma – 2.05.

Torpedo tubes - 4x4 533 mm. Maximum damage - 16767. Range - 12.0 km. Speed - 62 kt. Reload time - 96 s.  Launcher 180 degree turn time – 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability - 1.3 km.

Instead of choosing between wide and narrow spreads, captains can choose to fire off individual torpedoes or expend the entire launcher at once

AA defense: 8x1 76.2 mm., 6x2 152.0 mm.

AA defense mid-range: continuous damage per second - 560, hit probability - 90 %, action zone - 5.0 km;
AA defense long-range: continuous damage per second - 154, hit probability - 90 %, action zone - 6.9 km;
Number of explosions in a salvo - 7, damage within an explosion - 1890, action zone 3.5 - 6.9 km.
Maximum speed - 34.0 kt. Turning circle radius - 730 m. Rudder shift time – 11.3 s. Surface detectability – 12.1 km. Air detectability – 8.5 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke  – 5.8 km.

Available consumables:

1 slot - Damage Control Party;
2 slot - Specialized Repair Teams;
3 slot - Hydroacoustic Search;
4 slot - Surveillance Radar / Smoke Generator;
All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

So a super Mino. Should I be scared fighting this thing or not?. No HE but that's acceptable.

[BONKY]
Members
2,216 posts
25,939 battles

Edgar: ultimate daka, but contents extremely fragile and will explode if looked at with intensity.

Mecklenberg: I don’t know what inner sanctum of hell this thing came from, but I want one.

Iwami: WG: make a close quarters brawling BB. Also WG: give said BB 32mm plating and a vulnerable citadel and Zao level torpedo arcs and to top it off worse shells than Izumo.

• Thanks 2

Members
3,062 posts
25,168 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Bingo said:

Hold on.
image.png.952b3d46317d7b179da99161b2544d41.png

Is that an OTO Melara 3'' gun mount? :cap_wander:
OTO Melara - Wikipedia

It does look like it, but im pretty sure if it actually had 8x of those then literally anything flying within 6km of it is instantly dead. Doesn't even fly to 5.9, it just instantly dies.

Members
195 posts
5,380 battles

Mecklenburg...is that going to be a coal ship?  I'm pretty sure any equivalent tiered BB packing 16"+ guns is going to laugh at 16 pea shooters.  Now, this will definitely be a cruiser's worst nightmare.  12" guns are sure to not overpen much at that level, and 16 of them...yikes!  Still, not seeing why I would want to run this as opposed to a Preussen or my GK.  I certainly wouldn't be tempted to spend money on it.

[ENDO]
Members
350 posts
8,165 battles
3 hours ago, CrusaderOfRighteousness said:

Mecklenburg...is that going to be a coal ship?  I'm pretty sure any equivalent tiered BB packing 16"+ guns is going to laugh at 16 pea shooters.  Now, this will definitely be a cruiser's worst nightmare.  12" guns are sure to not overpen much at that level, and 16 of them...yikes!  Still, not seeing why I would want to run this as opposed to a Preussen or my GK.  I certainly wouldn't be tempted to spend money on it.

I really like the idea of this ship. Big want. Hope it is coal. I have so much damn coal. 

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,134 posts
21,698 battles

My currency predictions

Edgar: Supership currency (currently planned to be 1xp if you have the appropriate T10)

Mecklenburg: RB or steel because no nice things.

Iwami: Dubs only because *ugh*. 

Edited by lloyd1701

Members
24 posts
2,471 battles

Hello Wargaming Developers & designers if your reading, please could we trim off some of that ridiculous superstructure on the Mecklenburg to bring it more in design to the strikingly similar hulls of the Agir & Sigfried which happen to have a lower profile superstructure? The results are incredibly appealing and proper that would surely get people spending money on a great deal more so. I can assure you that the raised superstructure currently in the Dev photo will immediately stop many buyers of this product. I have an edited photo below of Mecklenburg with the yellow line indicating where I cut out excess superstructure and lowered the exhaust stacks. (the Agir photo is to show the similarities with my edit)

1256152556_MecklenburgPhotoshoppedyellow.thumb.jpg.93a50a1ca07f72e28f71bf506eea8df1.jpg

2045084221_Agirfront.thumb.jpg.77909e3e27feb45d80bf33f5d67d2dc4.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
3,062 posts
25,168 battles
30 minutes ago, Kaiser_Wilhelm_1st said:

Hello Wargaming Developers & designers if your reading, please could we trim off some of that ridiculous superstructure on the Mecklenburg to bring it more in design to the strikingly similar hulls of the Agir & Sigfried which happen to have a lower profile superstructure? The results are incredibly appealing and proper that would surely get people spending money on a great deal more so. I can assure you that the raised superstructure currently in the Dev photo will immediately stop many buyers of this product. I have an edited photo below of Mecklenburg with the yellow line indicating where I cut out excess superstructure and lowered the exhaust stacks. (the Agir photo is to show the similarities with my edit)

1256152556_MecklenburgPhotoshoppedyellow.thumb.jpg.93a50a1ca07f72e28f71bf506eea8df1.jpg

What, ones a battlecruiser and ones a full on battleship. Why would it have the same superstructure as the other. Also IIRC its GK hull so it gets the gk superstructure... kinda confused by this.

Also not that many people will decide not to buy the ship from a very very minor detail like that

Members
24 posts
2,471 battles
4 minutes ago, Trash_Taste_In_Waifus said:

What, ones a battlecruiser and ones a full on battleship. Why would it have the same superstructure as the other. Also IIRC its GK hull so it gets the gk superstructure... kinda confused by this.

Also not that many people will decide not to buy the ship from a very very minor detail like that

It’s a FDG hull, which have similar features to the Agir’s hull except larger. What I was concerned about is the hotel of a superstructure on top, the pommern (same as FDG) for example is a piñata for people to shoot at because the superstructure is so huge & takes full pens from every direction. With it trimmed down its basically a battleship sized Agir which looks amazing, that’s all.

[CAAT]
Members
5,856 posts
7,638 battles
On 2/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, tfcas119 said:

Iwami: WG: make a close quarters brawling BB. Also WG: give said BB 32mm plating and a vulnerable citadel and Zao level torpedo arcs and to top it off worse shells than Izumo.

WG in a nutshell, regarding Iwami being close-quarters brawler: "Well yes but actually no"

Also, note that the secondaries are DEFAULT range. They call Iwami a "close quarters combat ship" and play up the secondaries as if they're going to be so good, "improved armor penetration" and stuff....yeah, sure, they're improved armor pen because they're the Japanese 100mm mounts (30mm) so that's nice, but the secondary range is maximum 10.6km, which is the EXACT same as any other Tier IX Japanese BB atm. So it's not like the secondaries are even changed, at all.

In addition, it's a bit of a joke to call this ship a close-quarters brawler, and then in the same sentence claim it has an exposed citadel....

On another note, Mecklenburg is....really unique. Yep. I dunno about it, 16 305mm guns seems a bit strange, and at tier X to boot.... Looks like a FdG hull too, so that's something.

And Edgar is....Edgar. "Super" Minotaur. Ok.

• Cool 1

[CAAT]
Members
5,856 posts
7,638 battles
4 hours ago, Kaiser_Wilhelm_1st said:

Not gonna happen. Mecklenburg is based on a Friedrich Der Grosse hull, and Agir is an O-class battlecruiser design. Totally different hull designs.

Members
24 posts
2,471 battles
57 minutes ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Not gonna happen. Mecklenburg is based on a Friedrich Der Grosse hull, and Agir is an O-class battlecruiser design. Totally different hull designs.

If you read my response to another comment.. I know it’s FDG, I know Agir is a battlecruiser. What I’m saying is that aesthetically FDG/Pommern is the big brother to the O-class, please look at the exhaust stacks from birds eye view. The ships are very similar in look, and all I’m saying is the superstructure and exhausts are unnecessarily raised into the stratosphere on FDG/Pommern & now mecklenburg too, which creates a huge area of light armor to eat full pens. In my edited photo I simply cropped the top section and lowered it and bam, looks like a giant Agir.

It could look 100 times better and not be a piñata.

• Sad 1

[A-D-F]
Members
698 posts

The only good thing i have to say about the dev blog is...

Edgar will make "Nakimov drivers" think twice about their target choices. ( Create a problem... Sell a solution )

[CAAT]
Members
5,856 posts
7,638 battles
6 hours ago, Kaiser_Wilhelm_1st said:

If you read my response to another comment.. I know it’s FDG, I know Agir is a battlecruiser. What I’m saying is that aesthetically FDG/Pommern is the big brother to the O-class, please look at the exhaust stacks from birds eye view. The ships are very similar in look, and all I’m saying is the superstructure and exhausts are unnecessarily raised into the stratosphere on FDG/Pommern & now mecklenburg too, which creates a huge area of light armor to eat full pens. In my edited photo I simply cropped the top section and lowered it and bam, looks like a giant Agir.

It could look 100 times better and not be a piñata.

Well in a sense, with what you're saying about the superstructure (and you're probably right about that), it's reminds me of the issue I had (still do actually) with the RIDICULOUSLY high freeboard on Constellation. I too, did what you did and cropped and lowered the freeboard, and the ship looks IMMENSELY better.

But unfortunately it's not up to us to make changes to the ship design (even if they might be necessary changes for gameplay purposes). So I understand your comment, it's just there's not much we can do about it :S

• Sad 1

Members
24 posts
2,471 battles
10 hours ago, SaiIor_Moon said:

Well in a sense, with what you're saying about the superstructure (and you're probably right about that), it's reminds me of the issue I had (still do actually) with the RIDICULOUSLY high freeboard on Constellation. I too, did what you did and cropped and lowered the freeboard, and the ship looks IMMENSELY better.

But unfortunately it's not up to us to make changes to the ship design (even if they might be necessary changes for gameplay purposes). So I understand your comment, it's just there's not much we can do about it :S

I agree there’s not much we can do, the design is already made anyway. Wargaming “says” their listening to the community so with the immediate announcement of Mecklenburg I started spamming backlash. ! Enough Piñata’s for Germany !
It’s one thing if a piñata can shoot back effectively like American fat body ships (Vermont) but German BBs are lacking more than most in that ability. Also US has the NC/Iowa/Montana that are low profile like my edited photo. 

Edited by Kaiser_Wilhelm_1st

[LEGIO]
Members
3,729 posts
10,740 battles

I was going to bring up the OTO Melara 76mm guns on the Edgar which is a bit unusual here but they already got mentioned. The same 3"/70s on the Minotaur are a lot more likely to have been used for this "super-Minotaur". Of course realistically if the UK was building new cruisers by this date they would have been missile cruisers with probably only half the number of guns.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles
9 hours ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

I was going to bring up the OTO Melara 76mm guns on the Edgar which is a bit unusual here but they already got mentioned. The same 3"/70s on the Minotaur are a lot more likely to have been used for this "super-Minotaur". Of course realistically if the UK was building new cruisers by this date they would have been missile cruisers with probably only half the number of guns.

The OTO Melara 76mm really should've been reserved for an Italian ship anyway. Sure it's an extremely widely exported weapon, but the Royal Navy is probably the Western navy that used it the least. Actually even among "superships" it's probably a bit too modern, with its immediate predecessor being a better choice for even an Italian supership.