You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Atlaa

Best first coal ship to get?

22 comments in this topic

Members
37 posts
918 battles

Hello! I’m sitting on around 150k coal and was wondering what coal ship to get. I originally wanted to get Yoshino, and finished the yamaoto campaign. I don’t know if I should be getting ships such as Salem, M.I, or others. 

What is your opinion on what coal ship I should get?

[ARGSY]
Members
985 posts
14,138 battles

Depends on your play likes. Neustrashimy is my favorite coal ship. A great DD that people don't know about and have little experience playing against because it is so rare. Too expensive I suppose. But if you are a CA or BB player then just pass it by. Flamu recently did a video rating coal ships. It is a good place to start. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
5,899 posts
16,537 battles
15 minutes ago, Atlaa said:

My advice would be to wait until you play more battles and have more experience with different ship types to get a better idea of what you like to play before you pull the trigger. You have experience playing high tier BBs, but not so much the other classes.

The coal coupon for ships in the Armory won’t expire for a few more months. I would work your way up some other tech trees (maybe USN or IJN CAs if you are considering Salem or Yoshino) in the meantime and gain some more experience with different types of ships. There shouldn’t be any rush to spend your coal.

• Cool 1

Members
545 posts
9,922 battles
6 hours ago, Atlaa said:

Hello! I’m sitting on around 150k coal and was wondering what coal ship to get. I originally wanted to get Yoshino, and finished the yamaoto campaign. I don’t know if I should be getting ships such as Salem, M.I, or others. 

I will not be Hypocrite ..Just get a ship that you will enjoy playing ok .

[D-PN]
Members
3,713 posts
17,228 battles

If you don't have Des Moines yet... then Salem.  Otherwise pick from the class you like best.  Marceau for DD, Kearsage for BB.  Yoshi is OK, but realize it is low impact BB fire damage farmer.  It does that very well, but not much else.  This is reflected in its bad average WR.  Even Zao is more flexible since it has the concealment to support DDs.  Not saying don't ever get Yoshi....just not the first ship.

BTW - Keep in mind F. Sherman is probably coming with the next patch.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
9 hours ago, Atlaa said:

I think it is nice to get a ship that is fun to play.  :-)

Full disclosure?  I do have the Yoshino in my Port, and I enjoy playing her.
Her guns hit hard, she has plenty of torpedoes and good launching arcs, and she has a decent top-speed.  Also, she's a long hull and a big target with "cruiser" armor (she's not a battleship) and her turning radius is not small.
I think she's wonderful for Co-op games, but doing well in random battles can be a struggle (for me, at least).

My current "wish list" for Coal ships includes the Pommern and the Kearsarge. 
The "distant future" could add the Napoli to the list.  Other people have said she's fun to sail and I may welcome her before the Max Immelmann.

I already have the: 
~ Aigle (fun 'bote, but has quirks and considerations, she's my first Coal ship and I played the heck out of her when Scenario Operation Dynamo was still available.  She's affordable, though.)
~ Yoshino (also fun, as described earlier.  I liked the Azuma so much, that I just had to welcome her Tier-10 sister.)
~ Neustrashimy (I got her in a loot-crate.  She's a competent torpedo 'Bote DD, in my opinion, and her Repair Party helps her stay afloat.  Overall she's been a pleasant surprise.)
~ Z-44 (I felt that my Commander Johannes Meckleyne needed a better 'bote.  The Z-44 is a competent German DD.  Decent but not too fancy.)
~ Duke of York  (via a container, if I recall correctly.  As a British BB she's got all their quirks and does things slowly.  But she can be a training ship and can yield rewards during snowflake events.  For me, she's a Port Queen.)
~ Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya (also via a container, if I recall correctly, useful for training purposes and snowflake events)
~ Blyskawica (she's unique and historic.  I don't think she's good "first ship" material, but she offers "something different" as part of her charms.)
~ Kirov (before she became a coal ship, I got her as a tech-tree ship.  She's fun and affordable, though)
~ Anshan (needed a 'Bote for a Pan-Asian Commander, also doubles as a training ship.  She has "normal" torpedoes instead of deep-water torpedoes.  I enjoy sailing her and I think she's a decent Pan-Asian DD.)
~ Hill  (needed a training ship for Commander Leroy Jenkins, it's a nice USN DD though.)
~ Marblehead (needed a 'Bote for Commander Frederica Greenhill to sail, it's an Omaha with fewer torpedo launchers.)
~ Yubari  (wanted a training ship for Japanese Commanders, compared to the Furutaka, the Yubari is slightly more challenging to play well, but that's also part of her charm)

I hope that helps.  :Smile_Default:

Not everyone has the same tastes in ships.
And where people play most often can influence their decisions (Co-op vs. random battles) and a person's preferred play-style (sniping, brawling, HE-spamming & etc.) also is a consideration.

I should mention that I'm in the "Collector's Club".
So, my goal is to eventually welcome every ship into my Port.
If you're trying to keep your Fleet in a "lean & mean" size, then some of my choices might not suit that purpose.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
sentece structure correction

Members
37 posts
918 battles
2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I think the Yoshino is nice to get a ship that is fun to play.  :-)

Full disclosure?  I do have the Yoshino in my Port, and I enjoy playing her.
Her guns hit hard, she has plenty of torpedoes and good launching arcs, and she has a decent top-speed.  Also, she's a long hull and a big target with "cruiser" armor (she's not a battleship) and her turning radius is not small.
I think she's wonderful for Co-op games, but doing well in random battles can be a struggle (for me, at least).

My current "wish list" for Coal ships includes the Pommern and the Kearsarge. 
The "distant future" could add the Napoli to the list.  Other people have said she's fun to sail and I may welcome her before the Max Immelmann.

I already have the: 
~ Aigle (fun 'bote, but has quirks and considerations, she's my first Coal ship and I played the heck out of her when Scenario Operation Dynamo was still available.  She's affordable, though.)
~ Yoshino (also fun, as described earlier.  I liked the Azuma so much, that I just had to welcome her Tier-10 sister.)
~ Neustrashimy (I got her in a loot-crate.  She's a competent torpedo 'Bote DD, in my opinion, and her Repair Party helps her stay afloat.  Overall she's been a pleasant surprise.)
~ Z-44 (I felt that my Commander Johannes Meckleyne needed a better 'bote.  The Z-44 is a competent German DD.  Decent but not too fancy.)
~ Duke of York  (via a container, if I recall correctly.  As a British BB she's got all their quirks and does things slowly.  But she can be a training ship and can yield rewards during snowflake events.  For me, she's a Port Queen.)
~ Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya (also via a container, if I recall correctly, useful for training purposes and snowflake events)
~ Blyskawica (she's unique and historic.  I don't think she's good "first ship" material, but she offers "something different" as part of her charms.)
~ Kirov (before she became a coal ship, I got her as a tech-tree ship.  She's fun and affordable, though)
~ Anshan (needed a 'Bote for a Pan-Asian Commander, also doubles as a training ship.  She has "normal" torpedoes instead of deep-water torpedoes.  I enjoy sailing her and I think she's a decent Pan-Asian DD.)
~ Hill  (needed a training ship for Commander Leroy Jenkins, it's a nice USN DD though.)
~ Marblehead (needed a 'Bote for Commander Frederica Greenhill to sail, it's an Omaha with fewer torpedo launchers.)
~ Yubari  (wanted a training ship for Japanese Commanders, compared to the Furutaka, the Yubari is slightly more challenging to play well, but that's also part of her charm)

I hope that helps.  :Smile_Default:

Not everyone has the same tastes in ships.
And where people play most often can influence their decisions (Co-op vs. random battles) and a person's preferred play-style (sniping, brawling, HE-spamming & etc.) also is a consideration.

I should mention that I'm in the "Collector's Club".
So, my goal is to eventually welcome every ship into my Port.
If you're trying to keep your Fleet in a "lean & mean" size, then some of my choices might not suit that purpose.

I have kearsarge and pommern and I love both of those ships (prefer kearsarge more). Thank you for the advice!

[WPORT]
Members
19,367 posts
21,809 battles
3 minutes ago, Atlaa said:

I have kearsarge and pommern and I love both of those ships (prefer kearsarge more). Thank you for the advice!

You're welcome.  Thanks for sharing your perspectives on the Pommern and the Kearsarge.  :-)

Members
867 posts
9,353 battles

I would say sit on your coal, until you see them saying they are going to remove a ship from the Armory, then decide if you want it lol. I've saved up enough now, that I can buy two ships by using one coupon. But my plan is to have enough for 3 by the day before the coupon resets, so I can pick up two back to back, and still have a slush fund in case of ships being pulled.

As for myself, the only ones that remotely interest me, are the Napoli, Yoshino, Moskva, and Marceau.  But none of them really scream "Buy Me" to me. Out of the 4, the Moskva would probably be my pick, just because it's an ex tech tree ship, large hp pool, and still considered a heavy cruiser, not a super or large cruiser with the extended burn time, like Alaska or Yoshino, etc. (to my knowledge).  Marceau seems interesting, but I just can't see playing it. I already have several tier 10 DD's.  At this point in time, I would never spend my coal on anything under Tier 10. Just for the Santa and Anniversary crate perspective.  I have considered the Pommern, but I have the Tirpitz and Scharnhorst. I don't really need another torpedo armed German BB. The Neut just seems overpriced, former steel ship or not.  It does have a nice set of tools on it though. So IF I were to drop coal on a Tier 9, it might be that ship. Seems like it would play somewhat like my Fletcher, but with a heal.

Having a Des Moines, I would agree with some of the others in saying the Salem is a solid choice.

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
803 posts
10 hours ago, Atlaa said:

No coal ship is a must have, so I would pair a coal ship that would help you with your overall goals, like helping a captain get XP, or can support you in the various events that are repetitive.  The next ranked coming out is tier 9, so I would use Ranked to get XP on your 9's moving them up to 10, if you focus on ranked looks like you will have 3 tier 10s.

Yoshino requires a high skill level and the captain needs a thick skin, it is a ship that most people do not understand.  You will be harassed in Chat if you play it right because with a high ranking commander it becomes a long sniper.  It cannot brawl, and will be deleted if you show your broadside, it is very weak from almost all angles.  Its fire rate is 3 times the Salem or Des Moines.   But oh the range and tight groups, if you know how to lead at long range, you can have some fun.  Keep in mind that WG will make it hard for you by placing you in maps that are wide open and starting positions to be cross fired.  This boat is best played from the rear and needs either distance mountains or constant moving to keep the wolves at bay, if you are spotted people think NOM NOM NOM tasty Yoshino,  soooo patience and positioning.  It is a support ship that contributes to focus fire on the most dangerous enemy from a distance.

Salem with high level captain can shoot faster than the 5.5 second reload of a DesMoines but lacks the ability to have both Hydro and Radar and its Radar suffers from a 9.5 range compared to 10 on the DM, huge difference.  I would avoid the Salem.  

You currently have an 8 Soviet CV, the current 10 Soviet CV is the OP CV.   without a doubt that CV will get nerfed directly or indirectly in the future 

Good luck

Members
221 posts
11,613 battles
3 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

Yoshino requires a high skill level

LOL :Smile_teethhappy:

[ICEY]
Volunteer Moderator
485 posts

I have the Tulsa and Des Moines and I wouldn't really recommend the Tulsa, since she's much harder to play than Salem given the limited range and the lack of a superheal. Salem is also trickier to play compared to longer range focused ships like Yoshino and Moskva.

Moskva has really good gunnery with an average reload plus some good HE rounds and really really good pen on the AP. One thing about Moskva is that she struggles to maneuver around, given that she has a terrible turning radius and showing broadside during that turn to any BB will immediately result in a trip back to port. She can tank a lot of damage from the front but if any shell hits her on the broadside, she will more than likely explode.

Don't have Yoshino but I heard she's an easier ship to play mainly because of the range and ROF on her larger caliber guns. I don't think you could go wrong with Yoshino because she fits into the current game meta more than a shorter range focused cruiser like Salem. Moskva is like the more "extreme" version of Yoshino. Top tier gunnery with absolutely terrible maneuverability whereas Yoshino is more balanced between the two characteristics.  

I only have Tulsa and Moskva in my port though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Members
402 posts
11,421 battles

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but here's something a bit different: Since you are still new to the game, I highly recommend you go for a coal ship that is, at most, t8.  T9-10 is where you'll find the most frustration, and some of the coal ships aren't the easiest to play.  Stick with mid tiers for now. 

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles

How does one come about getting 150k coal in very little time?  It seems like it takes forever for me to build up any significant amount of it and I never am even close to a ship quantity.

Members
221 posts
11,613 battles
Just now, CaptGodzillaPig said:

How does one come about getting 150k coal in very little time?  It seems like it takes forever for me to build up any significant amount of it and I never am even close to a ship quantity.

Pick resource containers for your daily bonus containers, play ranked, snow flake event and you could also buy coal with santa crates when they were around. 

[RICO5]
Members
3,273 posts
7,504 battles
1 minute ago, MemezRus said:

you could also buy coal

Ok..  I was unaware of this part.  This makes sense.    Free play he would average over 250 coal PER GAME to get what he has.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,612 posts
20,079 battles
11 hours ago, Atlaa said:

I would say for now, try and get more battles in and figure out what countries/ship type you like to play.

The coal isn't going to go anywhere for the time being and as you play you will gain more.

Unless there is a Coal Ship that is being pulled (that everyone loves and feels is OP), there is no immediate hurry to get a ship.

[-AF-]
1,293 posts
15,803 battles

Like @Nevermore135 and @Valas1 already recommended, I'd also recommend sitting on your coal and just adding to it.  If you have that 25% coupon active, it's good until June 12th so there's no real hurry.   Why I say this is that in my opinion, you should look at what ships are available and see if you feel any kind of way about any of them.  If you don't, just wait and see what else might pop up that may stir your interest.   Or if Wargaming continues to do what it does with these ships, that is removing some from time to time, maybe wait until that occurs and see if you might feel like grabbing it before they do.   Some players regret when ships were removed and they weren't prepared to get what becomes something of a coveted ship.  You know, you don't want it until you can no longer get it and then you want it a whole lot more.

Otherwise, think of what nation's tech tree you are currently engaged with or one that you want to get started on, and get a coal ship that will support (train commanders of that nation) that line .

Good luck and if you do make a pick, be sure to come back and let us know which, and then comment after a while on your experience with it.  That's always good for other players with the same thought seeing what someone else did.

[PMWC]
Members
246 posts
9,074 battles

I will wait till the expiring date of this coupon to decide if I were you.

You can grind the line higher in US or Japan if you want Yoshino or Salem. I would not recommend a coal ship if you don't have any high tier ship of that country

[-REK-]
803 posts
3 hours ago, MemezRus said:

LOL :Smile_teethhappy:

This is an example, guy laughing at me saying Yoshino needs some skill to play but who does not have one.   See what I mean? 

• Haha 1
  • Meh 1

Members
221 posts
11,613 battles
8 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

This is an example, guy laughing at me saying Yoshino needs some skill to play but who does not have one.   See what I mean? 

You are either not bright or a liar. It takes two seconds to check I have both Yoshino and Yoshino B. Nice try troll. 

[-AF-]
1,293 posts
15,803 battles
3 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

That one actually has both the regular and the black one.  Look them up on WoWs-numbers, sort their warships by Japanese and cruisers and you'll see them.

image.png.80628ee37069f74afec41401e4697cde.png

That aside, an "LOL emoji" comment doesn't really offer much in the way of value; I'd just pass it by were I you and look at the posts with substance to aid you in your decision.
If you are feeling Yoshino but aren't sure, again, take your time, gather more coal and information and realize that coupon is good until June.