Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
meatgrindr

It Would Be Nice If The Tech Tree Showed All Your Ships

6 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
340 posts
26,322 battles

I opened a bunch of crates and somewhere in the mix I got a Viribus Unitus, but under the Europe section in the Tech Tree, there is no sign of this ship, even under the "premium ships" column.  Is there an argument against having all, ALL, of the ships you own show up under the appropriate nation in the tech tree?

Edited by meatgrindr
more info

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,529 posts
12 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

Is there an argument against having all, ALL, of the ships you own show up under the appropriate nation in the tech tree?

The tech screen screen would have to be a lot bigger, more cluttered and complicated for one thing.  I currently have 404 ships in my port, and I have a line in reset so it's a bit more. 

All those on the tech tree screen would be a mess.  There are people with a lot more ships than me as well.

I honestly don't know why they haven't moved the last of the FXP ships out of the tech tree screens and into the armory yet.  The tech tree should just be tech tree.

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,421 posts
17,182 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I think it has to do with availability.

This. By default (or at least how it used to be), the only premium ships visible in the tech tree are ones that can be acquired from the tech tree. Whether via doubloons (for most 'visible by default' premiums) or fxp (Alaska, Nelson, etc), any ship listed in the tech trees could be purchased directly from there.

As for why only certain doubloon premiums were listed (both before and after the armory was added), Burnsy is probably right. Showing every ship in the tech tree would lead to a cluttered UI with lots of extra scrolling needed to see everything. There are mods that show all ships in their respective tech trees (including unreleased and pulled ships); that's what it would look like if WG decided to show everything. Even if you ignore the problems that might result from showing unavailable ships (i.e. threads complaining they can't get a ship that hasn't been released yet, or why there are removed ships still showing 'prices'), the 'average' player doesn't care about seeing every ship there. For the players that want to see them, there are mods, and the players that don't need/want/care to don't have the extra clutter.

I think being able to see stats of ships you don't have (gun stats, armor, etc) is valuable for when you face them. But at the same time, I know most players that would really care about those stats or really know how to interpret them probably already use the tech tree mod. And as such, WG adding it to the base game as a toggleable setting would be extra work for them to maintain for no real benefit over having someone else do it through a mod.

Members
79 posts
7,558 battles

Good news, there is a mod to already do just that. And it even comes in vertical versus horizontal orientation depending on how you prefer to view your tech tree.

image.thumb.png.1dc9685cdc24b48fc704a29b5d57a227.png

As you can see Viribus Unitis does show up in my tech tree on the right side of a dividing line with other premium ships.

image.thumb.png.cf88b89b5c25fd86f70a87e47abfe7ef.png

I will say, I'm glad this is a mod though because it definitely comes down to preference as to whether you want to view all your ships like this. I can certainly understand why some wouldn't want this feature in the game permanently since the screen does get quite cluttered for certain trees like the USA which has practically a whole fleet of premium ships that I'm pretty sure outnumbers the tech tree ships at this point. Also it definitely makes the tech tree take longer to load versus having the mod turned off, but that's to be expected.

[PVE]
Members
12,004 posts
21,175 battles
37 minutes ago, meatgrindr said:

I opened a bunch of crates and somewhere in the mix I got a Viribus Unitus, but under the Europe section in the Tech Tree, there is no sign of this ship, even under the "premium ships" column.  Is there an argument against having all, ALL, of the ships you own show up under the appropriate nation in the tech tree?

Get a full Tech tree mod, I use one of the ones from Aslains mods. It doesn't clutter the tech tree at all, it just lets you see all of the ships. You just have to move the screen with your mouse.

image.thumb.png.d213310db77909dc71fd2accebd78277.png

image.thumb.png.50f428b9d5b4edd8d9c54cec4abbe9c6.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Thanks 1