You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Serious question before I go to T10 for 1st time

41 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
17,083 posts
38,415 battles

As most regulars of the forum know I am a Co-op main (33K games). Never played PVP much but starting last year (Aug 2021) I decided to try and raise my abysmal Randoms WR (41% over 170'ish games) just to see if I could get to 50%. I never was (not now either) a good Random player but I always felt I was better than my WR%. My main issue was shooting (couldn't hit in PVP). So I decided to try and improve at it even though I will never be a PVP main or even play it a lot.

Since then I am up to 500+ Randoms and not only reached 50% but am slightly over 55% now. I have played up to T9 ships (T8 really is the limit as just 1 T9 game). For now it is BB only (don't look at my old Cruiser stats please LOL). I do very well in T4-T7 ships and hold my own in T8. I have played a lot of games vs T9 and T10 as bottom tier so I kind of would like to take a T10 out and try it. I have thousands upon thousands of Co-op games in T10 BB's so I am familiar with how the ships perform. I know it is a completely different meta and all I just mean I am comfortable in the ships and know how to use them.

Is it too early to try a T10 ship? I don't want to hurt the team. As said, I have played vs T9 and T10's in my T7 and T8 ships and do ok. I was thinking about maybe taking out Ohio.

Thoughts? Yes? No? Go back to Co-op where I belong? LOL...

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

Members
4,708 posts
16,427 battles

You'll just have to suppress the urge to be overly aggressive that coop (and low tiers) has ingrained in you. Patience and situational awareness are keys to random high tier play (and then when the time is right to make the push or kite if necessary). I think you understand the ships well enough, but itll come down to how well you can read a situation in the pvp higher tier environment.

I believe in you Admiral Thunder. You can do it.

giphy.gif

• Cool 3

[BEA5T]
Members
6,799 posts
34,315 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

As most regulars of the forum know I am a Co-op main (33K games). Never played PVP much but starting last year (Aug 2021) I decided to try and raise my abysmal Randoms WR (41% over 170'ish games) just to see if I could get to 50%. I never was (not now either) a good Random player but I always felt I was better than my WR%. My main issue was shooting (couldn't hit in PVP). So I decided to try and improve at it even though I will never be a PVP main or even play it a lot.

Since then I am up to 500+ Randoms and not only reached 50% but am slightly over 55% now. I have played up to T9 ships (T8 really is the limit as just 1 T9 game). For now it is BB only (don't look at my old Cruiser stats please LOL). I do very well in T4-T7 ships and hold my own in T8. I have played a lot of games vs T9 and T10 as bottom tier so I kind of would like to take a T10 out and try it. I have thousands upon thousands of Co-op games in T10 BB's so I am familiar with how the ships perform. I know it is a completely different meta and all I just mean I am comfortable in the ships and know how to use them.

Is it too early to try a T10 ship? I don't want to hurt the team. As said, I have played vs T9 and T10's in my T7 and T8 ships and do ok. I was thinking about maybe taking out Ohio.

You have a 50% chance of winning in every Random game you play......   Why not?  What does it cost you to play PVP;  other than, what many see as you being bored with COOP.........  It really doesn't matter anymore.  Play on - shoot straight - be a "Barney" if you can.   It doesn't matter what others think.

And, let's be honest - COOP mains aren't bad players at any level......  We just don't need the "drama" of any of the PVP modes.

[WG]
Administrator, WG Staff
6,279 posts
16,059 battles

The largest difference in Tier 10 compared to the middle tiers is going to be accuracy of shellfire.  Lower tiers are a little more RNG and forgiving, whereas Tier 10s are typically quite capable of knocking people out in a short timeframe if a player makes a mistake.

Most ships have healing, so don't be afraid to find a way to disengage and make use of that.  If you can't disengage you will be focused down by accurate fire, so try to make sure you have an "out" planned in advance.

Ohio is loved by many~  If you're versed in her guns, then you should be able to make things happen.

• Cool 1

[B_Y_F]
Members
851 posts
19,145 battles

Why not? From this post along shows that you care about the game. That's already better than at least 50% of the players in random these days. 

I'd say just enjoy the game and take it slowly in T10. Shooting is never a problem, only positioning is.

Welcome to T10 "fun". 

• Cool 1

Members
691 posts
21,098 battles
7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I would go for it. I have a clan mate that plays mostly Co-Op and he does just fine when he plays with us in random and clan battles. If you are apprehensive, take a division mate with you. 

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,495 battles

Don't assume tX means good players, in my experience tX offers some of the worst games with the worst players. Overly timid BBs, cruiser hiding behind rocks that they can't actually fire over, and DDs that either yolo or go bird watching the whole game. 

[ARGSY]
Members
30,552 posts
28,064 battles
33 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

(don't look at my old Cruiser stats please LOL)

OVER 1 MILLION COPIES SOLD!!!

Seriously, you know as much about game mechanics as anyone, probably much more than any window-licking 30% Randoms scrub who headbutted their way to T10 behind a battering ram of bought flags and camos. If you've improved your mid-tier winrate as much as you have, there's no reason you shouldn't dip your toes into higher tier waters. At the very least, they're getting someone who knows his ships.

Go for it.

[SALVO]
Members
15,601 posts
9,755 battles
30 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Is it too early to try a T10 ship?

Not at all, it is about time. You know the game mechanics and ships capabilities, you are ready to go!

31 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I don't want to hurt the team.

Oh don't worry, I'm sure you are more than able to hold your own and there are far far worse specimens out there that will take care of hurting the team for you. That role is taken, you can relax.

33 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I was thinking about maybe taking out Ohio.

BBs are the best to learn PvP dynamics, they give you enough time to observe. Good choice for a start. 

34 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thoughts? Yes? No? Go back to Co-op where I belong?

Heck yes! ... PvP will give you a sort of satisfaction PvE could never do, honestly tier is not as important and T10 tends to be more boring (if you value "action" above anything else), but if you are lucky and have able players on both sides it could develop into a very interesting tactical challenge. 

Ranked is a "simpler" environment and maybe a better fit for your Coop background, I recommend starting there. 

[CO-OP]
Members
5,180 posts
41,646 battles

You might want to division with a player or two that knows the t-10 meta.  Also, you might take a trip over to the PTS and try your hand at t-10 there.  

Edited by HamptonRoads

[WSU]
[WSU]
Members
85 posts
19,529 battles

You're more than ready for T10 from the sounds of it.  Hit the battle button and have a good time.  You'll be fine.

Now if your only T10 is an ARP Yamato and the next closest tier you have is sub T8.....well that's a different story

Members
943 posts
7,676 battles

If you want to play Tier 10, play Tier 10. Remember just a couple things. Contrary to what a lot of people will tell you, this is a game, not real life. Nothing can go wrong. If you lose, so what? The idea is to have fun.

Second, you are paying just as much to play (if you choose to do so) as the super champs, beta test guys and content creators. So what if you do something that makes them unhappy? You have just as much right to play as they do.

So get your T10 ship (if you so choose), set her up the way you want her set up and hit the BATTLE button.

• Cool 2

[BONKS]
Members
4,722 posts
52 battles

Honestly if you've experienced plenty of T10 battles playing a T8 ship the experience won't differ too much if you were to play a T10 ship in the same MM instead, so you really don't need to worry about it too much especially with BBs. Just make sure you have enough resources saved up to afford kitting out your T10s.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,594 posts
5,065 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

[WR] slightly over 55%

Is it too early to try a T10 ship? I don't want to hurt the team. ... Ohio.

I don't want to tax my brain with this little coffee, so I'll pose this to you, "If someone asked you this, how would you reply?"

Duckie say, "Hell yeah!" and congrats on being adventuresome.

[GUTZ]
[GUTZ]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,185 posts
28,816 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Unlike coop, the Meta is so varying its numbing. I just took Republic out. Our 3 dds ignored caps, even the gimme one. Ended up with a South side a push around, from north spawn. Their team tried to win harder by blowing a 600 point lead... 

Map awareness,  not showing broadside, and knowing when to push is your key.

Try your Ohio out and slow play it. You should be fine.

[SCRUM]
Members
376 posts
12,815 battles

Your coop experience will help you tremendously at the near end battles.  Count on it.  What you learn in randoms will be fun as well as disappointing.

[WPORT]
Members
19,317 posts
21,795 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Learning to shoot well is a fundamental skill at every tier of play.

Tier-10 ships simply reach out farther.
Thus the projectiles are in the air longer and subject to all the factors which contribute to "dispersion".

The "wiggle" and "kiting" and "WASD" skills that people use are derived from the same basic principles.
So learning to anticipate their moves can be done at any tier wherein you're finding those skills being used.  Tier-10 just happens to be where such skills should be the norm (instead of the exception).

Positioning & timing.
Observe opponents to gain an understanding of their behavior.  Is the smoke from their funnels trailing to the aft or to the bow, or going straight up?  Funnel smoke is one clue.  There are others.
Put your ship in a good position to open fire, or just make the best of where you happen to be at the moment.
Try to time your shot so that it arrives when the target will be least able to do anything about it, and aim for where it will have the greatest effect.

Tier-10 ships can deliver a lot of lethality in a short span of time. 
Much of the battle involves "dancing" to discover opponents and gain a favorable position to deliver your ordnance (preferably without risk of return fire).  They'll be doing the same thing, in principle.

Only hits count.
Study ballistics (and spend some time in a training-room, if necessary) to learn how your ship's guns & projectiles behave and how long they take to travel a given distance.
Being able to hit with your first salvo can be important.

Good luck.  Have fun.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
19,317 posts
21,795 battles
1 hour ago, yo_nelson_ said:

You're more than ready for T10 from the sounds of it.  Hit the battle button and have a good time.  You'll be fine.

Now if your only T10 is an ARP Yamato and the next closest tier you have is sub T8.....well that's a different story

Been there, done that.  Had a good time.  :-)
I have a few more Tier-10 ships now.  :-)

[CREDO]
Members
2,457 posts
9,035 battles
1 hour ago, arch4random said:

tier X players shoot back

well, some of them do, and some won't, because they will get detected. Some of the players at T10 just don't miss. Some of the players that just don't miss div up, and the other players in that div don't miss much either. If they decide it's time to sink you, it usually doesn't take long.

This is probably the biggest difference between Coop and Random. Rarely, you will run into a bot or several bots in a Coop battle that just don't miss, and know where you're going. Count on that happening and it probably won't be that big of a deal.

if i had to do it over, would NOT grind up to T10 just as fast as i could, and establish a win rate under 44% with almost 4k Random battles in... so you are already playing far more intelligently than most in the game.

if it sucks more than you feared, you can always go back to Coop, and maybe they will start up Assymetric again??

spud

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[-1]
Members
907 posts
15,259 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks for all the feedback.

Take Conqueror. You'll do just fine.

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,829 posts
20,912 battles

With those battle racked up,  DEW IT!!!

i went into random when i was 1500'ish coop battle counts

[PVE]
Members
17,083 posts
38,415 battles

Welp I did it and it was a mixed bag...

• I certainly can play in an all TX match even with a CV and lots of DD's.
  • Never felt lost or out of my element
  • I feel I am able to put the aggressive mindset of Co-op aside and take a more cautious and thoughtful approach while in PVP but at the same time don't play scared or sit at the back and snipe or hide
  • I feel I did good positioning wise and pushed up when I should have, fell back when it would have been yolo'ing, and recognized when it was time to swap flanks to try and hold the caps. I also forced the red Petropavlovsk out of his spot behind an island by pushing up on him because he was radaring our DD's which got him killed and I was able to fall back unharmed.
  • I wound up, as so often happens, the last player alive facing multiple reds.
  • I see low tiers are not the only ones where teams try hard and throw a win away. We had 3 of 4 caps locked down and over a 400 pt lead at one pt and were like 125 pts from a win. We were only 1 ship less than the reds but in the blink of an eye I wound up alone? Not even sure how so many died so fast.
  • I made a fight of it at the end and was trying to see how by maybe sinking the Schlieffen trailing me and the 2 low HP Kleber's shadowing me I might still do it but I couldn't get unspotted at all and eventually the HE spam wore me down enough and then the Incomparable finished me.
  • My MBH% was low but that was because I was shooting at the DD's a lot of the game when they would get spotted and they either juked or RNG just said nope and shells splashed all around. When shooting BB's and Cruisers I was much more accurate. Still need work on that but I still did "ok".
  • I took 147K actual damage and had 2.8 Million potential so I know how to mitigate incoming and manage DCP/Heal.

I certainly could have done better than I did but at the least I feel I held up my end. Was a loss but not a loss I am to blame for at least. Hats off to the reds for not giving up even when way down.

Thanks all for the support. Wish I could post results from a win vs a loss but did my best. :Smile_honoring:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 5

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,648 posts
8,679 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Welp I did it and it was a mixed bag...

• I certainly can play in an all TX match even with a CV and lots of DD's.
  • Never felt lost or out of my element
  • I feel I am able to put the aggressive mindset of Co-op aside and take a more cautious and thoughtful approach while in PVP but at the same time don't play scared or sit at the back and snipe or hide
  • I feel I did good positioning wise and pushed up when I should have, fell back when it would have been yolo'ing, and recognized when it was time to swap flanks to try and hold the caps. I also forced the red Petropavlovsk out of his spot behind an island by pushing up on him because he was radaring our DD's which got him killed and I was able to fall back unharmed.
  • I wound up, as so often happens, the last player alive facing multiple reds.
  • I see low tiers are not the only ones where teams try hard and throw a win away. We had 3 of 4 caps locked down and over a 400 pt lead at one pt and were like 125 pts from a win. We were only 1 ship less than the reds but in the blink of an eye I wound up alone? Not even sure how so many died so fast.
  • I made a fight of it at the end and was trying to see how by maybe sinking the Schlieffen trailing me and the 2 low HP Kleber's shadowing me I might still do it but I couldn't get unspotted at all and eventually the HE spam wore me down enough and then the Incomparable finished me.
  • My MBH% was low but that was because I was shooting at the DD's a lot of the game when they would get spotted and they either juked or RNG just said nope and shells splashed all around. When shooting BB's and Cruisers I was much more accurate. Still need work on that but I still did "ok".
  • I took 147K actual damage and had 2.8 Million potential so I know how to mitigate incoming and manage DCP/Heal.

I certainly could have done better than I did but at the least I feel I held up my end. Was a loss but not a loss I am to blame for at least. Hats off to the reds for not giving up even when way down.

Thanks all for the support. Wish I could post results from a win vs a loss but did my best. :Smile_honoring:

The only difference between mid tier and high tier is the ships. You get the same mix of good and bad players. As long as you're credit positive, you're doing well. And you did well in the match above. The extra matches you've had to play to get to Tier X in co-op have served you well. 

Keep it up, and we'll need to promote you. What's higher than "Admiral"?

Edited by HyperFish
  • Cool 1